Frost’s QB Room

Just on a quick look from some of the reps in the below video, I would guess Gebbia is a bit closer to what they're looking for from a mechanics standpoint.  He seems to have a nice quick release where POB has a slower delivery.  Didn't really see much of the others to comment.  Granted, that's just one piece of the puzzle but quick, accurate throws make a lot of difference.

• Plus1 2

I wonder if anything could be made of this comment from this writer's observation:

Is Adrian having more difficulty or is Adrian ahead and getting special 'schooling'.   :dunno

It’s a small thing, but a couple of times during quarterback/receiver work, Noah Vedral was giving Adrian Martinez quick tips or instructions. Those two were together on one end, and Patrick O’Brien, Tristan Gebbia and Andrew Bunch were throwing the other way. That talk about Vedral being a big help? You can see it by watching for 30 seconds.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/rapid-reaction-huskers-best-practice-yet-observations-from-open-practice/article_45767acd-3636-5f83-bf94-aa67ab28f6ac.amp.html

I like this comment as well.  We need a strong, vocal leader on D.   Based on his past history, I think Honas will be a leader in effort, it will be even better if he is a leader vocally. 

Frost said he’s glad to have inside linebacker Will Honas in the program and said the biggest thing Honas has to work on is talking louder because he wants the Butler (Kansas) Community College transfer to be “a floor general” for the defense.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Just on a quick look from some of the reps in the below video, I would guess Gebbia is a bit closer to what they're looking for from a mechanics standpoint.  He seems to have a nice quick release where POB has a slower delivery.  Didn't really see much of the others to comment.  Granted, that's just one piece of the puzzle but quick, accurate throws make a lot of difference.

I tend to agree with you Mav. If Gebbia shows he can pick up a few yards here and there on scrambles I think it is his job. Frost's offense is predicated on getting the ball out to the flats to play-makers in space and Gebbia's mechanics/quick release set up well for that. Also, my recollection from Gebbia's high school tape is that he was surrounded with talent at the skill positions (KJJ, Holmes, and others) where quick throws were a large part of that offense. 

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder if anything could be made of this comment from this writer's observation:

Is Adrian having more difficulty or is Adrian ahead and getting special 'schooling'.   :dunno

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/rapid-reaction-huskers-best-practice-yet-observations-from-open-practice/article_45767acd-3636-5f83-bf94-aa67ab28f6ac.amp.html

I like this comment as well.  We need a strong, vocal leader on D.   Based on his past history, I think Honas will be a leader in effort, it will be even better if he is a leader vocally. 

I think we can make about as much of the Martinez comment as the Bunch comment:

The first quarterback snap of a brief team session went to … walk-on Andrew Bunch. He rolled right and hit Stanley Morgan. The analysis you can take from this is that Stanley Morgan will likely be involved in the offense this fall. Take it to the bank.

But seriously, I'd be curious to know which end Verduzco was on.  If he was on the same end as Vedral and Martinez, then I'd say that's something and he's the leader.

If he was on the other end, I'd say Vedral knows enough to help Martinez like a coach and Verduzco was coaching the other three up.

7 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Frost's offense is predicated on getting the ball out to the flats to play-makers in space and Gebbia's mechanics/quick release set up well for that.

Those passes are certainly prominent, but there is a much bigger downfield passing requirement from their QBs.

McKenzie Milton was 2nd in the country in yards per attempt last year.

McKenzie Milton, Marcus Mariota, and Vernon Adams are all in the top 15 all-time in adjusted yards per attempt for a single season.

Vernon Adams and Marcus Mariota each have a season leading in this stat. Milton was 2nd last year to Baker Mayfield, who holds the record as having the top two seasons all time.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, brophog said:

Those passes are certainly prominent, but there is a much bigger downfield passing requirement from their QBs.

McKenzie Milton was 2nd in the country in yards per attempt last year.

McKenzie Milton, Marcus Mariota, and Vernon Adams are all in the top 15 all-time in adjusted yards per attempt for a single season.

Vernon Adams and Marcus Mariota each have a season leading in this stat. Milton was 2nd last year to Baker Mayfield, who holds the record as having the top two seasons all time.

It'd be interesting to see the YAC for those teams. Because a 20 yard pass that started in the flat is still a 20 yard pass.

(Not saying they don't throw it deep, but the throws to the flat can still get big gains)

I didn't pay enough attention to that when watching Oregon/UCF

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It'd be interesting to see the YAC for those teams. Because a 20 yard pass that started in the flat is still a 20 yard pass.

Absolutely, that can contribute. Another way short passes can contribute to that stat is by helping to keep the pass completion percent high.

That said, the yards per pass attempt stats heavily favor offenses that have vertical passing games.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Benning said to not count him out.  Said he's looked 'at home' in this new offense and is absolutely someone who could win the job.

At nearly any other position he has a point, because this staff rotates so much and so many guys would have opportunities. Obviously QB is different.

Not impossible, but extremely difficult.

9 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Benning said to not count him out.  Said he's looked 'at home' in this new offense and is absolutely someone who could win the job.

Benning is "calling a shot", but wording it so he can't be wrong. If Bunch somehow ends up our QB, he won't, Benning can puff his chest; however if he ends up 3rd-4th string, he will, Benning can claim all he said was "he fits this O". 

It's the same narrative him and Sharp used with Frost. Pretty everyone wanted/thought Frost would come. Benning and Sharp hitched to the "he's not coming" narrative, fully knowing that if he doesn't come they look like geniuses, but if he does come everyone will be so excited they'll forget their prediction. 

Edited by Warrior10
  • Plus1 1