Frost’s QB Room

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Interesting that you put it that way.  I think it was the HOL guys who used a similar analogy earlier this week.  They said something to the effect of if your QB is your point guard, Gebbia is going to be the guy racking up assists - getting the ball to the playmakers - while Martiez is the guy taking it to the rim himself - he can make some big plays on his own but he's probably going to make more mistakes along the way.

Yes! I listen to their podcast I should have referenced them. Not trying to take credit for their work.

I have heard the 93.7 the ticket guys all using the “point guard” term as well. I think it’s kind of the buzz word with the local media guys right now. I like the analogy though I think it fits especially well with this offensive system.

I haven't read through every post in this thread, and this is just preseason banter.   :D

From what I believe I know about Frost's offense, this seems to be the order of importance in skill set from his QB:

1. Decision making ability.

2. Accuracy.

3. Running ability.

Milton wasn't exactly super fast. Don't over-analyze these comparisons, but he probably runs about like Ganz did or maybe Chase Daniel at Missouri. Meaning, more than good enough to make it a high octane Chip Kelly zone read offense. I think we know that running ability isn't going to trump the first two requirements, so Martinez's running ability isn't going to edge out Gebbia if Martinez isn't as good in the first two aspects.

Hard to say how hard Riley was really making Gebbia work in practice last season (probably not that hard), but still, he has a whole extra year of "football time" that Martinez didn't have, especially since Martinez sat out all of last year due to injury. In the spring game, it kind of seemed like Martinez wasn't hanging in the pocket and making reads as much as his first instinct was to take off and run. Yes, yes...it was four months ago and he could have come a long ways since then, for sure.

It's a coin toss. I don't know how anyone could feel sure who it's going to be, but if I was forced to guess, I'd guess it's Gebbia. I just have a feeling Gebbia edges Martinez out slightly in the first two elements. But, I'll be really happy either way.

• Plus1 3
38 minutes ago, Undone said:

But the best part is, we actually have two freshmen fighting for the spot! There's so much promise brimming here, no matter which guy starts against Akron. And to boot, we now finally have a staff that won't mismanage a roster. 

Bingo. 

Im excited for whomever starts. AND.....I’m confident there is a capable back up if an injury happens. 

Its been a long time. 

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

Interesting that you put it that way.  I think it was the HOL guys who used a similar analogy earlier this week.  They said something to the effect of if your QB is your point guard, Gebbia is going to be the guy racking up assists - getting the ball to the playmakers - while Martiez is the guy taking it to the rim himself - he can make some big plays on his own but he's probably going to make more mistakes along the way.

Gebbia said the point guard thing in an interview near the beginning of fall camp.  That's probably where those guys got it.

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Hard to say how hard Riley was really making Gebbia work in practice last season (probably not that hard), but still, he has a whole extra year of "football time" that Martinez didn't have, especially since Martinez sat out all of last year due to injury. 

Practice time, not game time. It's Mike Riley practice time, so he's probably better at getting the cherry to stay on top of the sundae.

7 minutes ago, brophog said:

Practice time, not game time. It's Mike Riley practice time, so he's probably better at getting the cherry to stay on top of the sundae.

Not only that, but he's probably a master at putting sprinkles on the ice cream and learned exactly how to run the margarita machine in the weight room.  

4 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Not only that, but he's probably a master at putting sprinkles on the ice cream and learned exactly how to run the margarita machine in the weight room.  

He only watched film on working the margarita machine unfortunately. Still needs some reps before he's ready

5 hours ago, Undone said:

Hard to say how hard Riley was really making Gebbia work in practice last season (probably not that hard)

Riley might not have been making Gebbia work hard, but I think Gebbia was doing plenty of that on his own. If he doesn't get the starter job, I don't think it will be for a lack of effort on his part.

6 minutes ago, brophog said:

So unless one of Mario's test questions was "would you put strawberry syrup on chocolate ice cream", he didn't gain much.

I actually wonder if there is a way he could release the test he gives to the players out to Husker fans. It would not have the players name on the test but we would see the test questions he asks. Or if he doesn't want to give it away some variation of one from before. I would be really interested to see what questions were on it. 

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Im excited for whomever starts. AND.....I’m confident there is a capable back up if an injury happens. 

Its been a long time. 

What? How many years did we go through where our favorite quarterback was the backup? This board would spin all sorts of theories and conspiracies about why so-and-so wasn't the starter.