Frost’s QB Room

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:37 AM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I would tend to think just the opposite is true:   if Martinez is not standing out, then he is in the pack somewhere and when all other things are equal, experience gets the nod.  None of a lot of game experience but some have age, maturity, and lot more practice and film and football knowledge edges.  POB would have the lead therefore in a race amongst guys with roughly equivalent skills otherwise.  

But, nobody has any advantage on this team so far.  We're four practices into many to come, just to finish the spring.  Fall camp is where the seperation, if it happens at all, will come.   Injuries and so on have to be ironed out as well.   

I disagree, if things are close I think they'll go with guy considered to have the most upside, and that would be Martinez. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure I follow your logic here.

They are all knew to this staff and system.

Also, to me, the phrase, "none are standing out" doesn't mean they are all on the same level.  One of them could be lagging the rest of the pack without one of them stepping out on top.

I take it to mean they're even enough that they wouldn't pick just 1 guy if the season started right now, and since we don't know who's slightly better, I'm assuming they're the same for the sake of discussion.

Here's my logic. POB and Gebbia have been in college 1-2 years. They've practiced with and against other college players. It was in a different system but it still puts them ahead of a true freshman who's only had 4 college practices. In my opinion that says Martinez has the potential (key word) to improve at a higher rate than they can. He's brand new and apparently the others haven't broken away from him.

If Martinez is neck and neck with them when they have a 70-150 (rough guess) college practice advantage, then it tells me he's doing well. It doesn't mean I'm sure POB and Gebbia won't both improve enough for one to become the starter and Martinez ends up redshirting.

Edited by Moiraine
18 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I take it to mean they're even enough that they wouldn't pick just 1 guy if the season started right now, and since we don't know who's slightly better, I'm assuming they're the same for the sake of discussion.

Here's my logic. POB and Gebbia have been in college 1-2 years. They've practiced with and against other college players. It was in a different system but it still puts them ahead of a true freshman who's only had 4 college practices. In my opinion that says Martinez has the potential (key word) to improve at a higher rate than they can. He's brand new and apparently the others haven't broken away from him.

If Martinez is neck and neck with them when they have a 70-150 (rough guess) college practice advantage, then it tells me he's doing well. It doesn't mean I'm sure POB and Gebbia won't both improve enough for one to become the starter and Martinez ends up redshirting.

I have said before that if Martinez is "neck and neck with POB and Gebbia, then he would not be the starter.  That's because the others have the experience of being in college 1-2 years like you said.

However, my point is, the comments that have been made don't tell me that Martinez is "neck and neck" with them.  POB, Gebbia and Bunch could all be "neck and neck" with Martinez not at their level yet....and the coach's comments would still make sense.

The only thing the coaches comments tell me is that there isn't one QB that has separated himself from the crowd yet.

41 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have said before that if Martinez is "neck and neck with POB and Gebbia, then he would not be the starter.  That's because the others have the experience of being in college 1-2 years like you said.

However, my point is, the comments that have been made don't tell me that Martinez is "neck and neck" with them.  POB, Gebbia and Bunch could all be "neck and neck" with Martinez not at their level yet....and the coach's comments would still make sense.

The only thing the coaches comments tell me is that there isn't one QB that has separated himself from the crowd yet.

I've already said I think if they're all even in the fall, he wouldn't start and would probably redshirt. But this is the spring and in the spring it's a good position to be in. Especially considering he's had 4 college practices.

It doesn't really matter what's meant by none of the QBs are standing out. I'm basing the QBs being even, and my opinion that's good for Martinez at this point in the year, on my interpretation of the statement. 'Cause that's all I have to go on.

Edited by Moiraine
40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can you say that about any position, based on the coaches comments? They've been careful not to separate anyone at this point.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I've already said I think if they're all even in the fall, he wouldn't start and would probably redshirt. But this is the spring and in the spring it's a good position to be in. Especially considering he's had 4 college practices.

It doesn't really matter what's meant by none of the QBs are standing out. I'm basing the QBs being even, and my opinion that's good for Martinez at this point in the year, on my interpretation of the statement. 'Cause that's all I have to go on.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, they haven't said "ALL QBs are even".  They have said, "Nobody is standing out".

That's the difference in what you and I are saying.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, correct me if I'm wrong, they haven't said "ALL QBs are even".  They have said, "Nobody is standing out".

That's the difference in what you and I are saying.

I'm interpreting the statement. So are you. You're interpreting it to mean that it's a possibility Martinez is falling behind 3 other QBs. I'm interpreting it to mean they're all pretty even.

Edited by Moiraine
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

You're interpreting it to mean that it's a possibility Martinez is falling behind 3 other QBs

He's interpreting it to mean that there's a possibility that any of the QBs could be a bit behind a couple front-runners, not just Martinez specifically.

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

He's interpreting it to mean that there's a possibility that any of the QBs could be a bit behind a couple front-runners, not just Martinez specifically.

I think that's a given (that he meant any QB could be lagging behind). But I've been talking about Martinez and that was the example he used.

Edited by Moiraine

When do you think a starter will be announced? Obviously, someone will be the starter for the Spring game, but it could be like last year where it is a coin flip or whatever. 

My guess would be the second or third week of fall practice. It lets the coaches see if anyone can catch up to their starter and see if said starter still has it.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I think that's a given (that he meant any QB could be lagging behind). But I've been talking about Martinez and that was the example he used.

But, you make one big assumption that because the coaches don't specifically say Martinez is lagging, that he is right up neck and neck with the top QBs.

That assumption can't be made with what has been said.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, you make one big assumption that because the coaches don't specifically say Martinez is lagging, that he is right up neck and neck with the top QBs.

That assumption can't be made with what has been said.

We're both making assumptions. And it doesn't matter that we are. It's a message board, and I'm saying if the QBs are even, that's good for Martinez. Not really sure why the interpretation is being dissected so much. It's a vague statement, but again, I'm posting on a message board. There's no reason I can't make an assumption of what a vague statement means and then base some opinions on that assumption. It's spring, and that's all we're going to get for awhile. Even after the spring game, we'll be going off of 1 practice we saw.

I'd prefer to go back to talking about the conclusion I'm making of what the assumption means for the QBs rather than the interpretation of the quote, but *shrug*

Edited by Moiraine
1 hour ago, HuskermanMike said:

When do you think a starter will be announced? Obviously, someone will be the starter for the Spring game, but it could be like last year where it is a coin flip or whatever. 

My guess would be the second or third week of fall practice. It lets the coaches see if anyone can catch up to their starter and see if said starter still has it.

Both of his two seasons at UCF he waited until game week to formally announce. Interesting though that both seasons had an incumbent QB that was named starter, so it wasn't exactly surprising in either case.