ScottyIce

Frost’s QB Room

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:
<BTN Network talking heads said some stuff>

Yes, for sure. A lot of the stuff we've been talking about lately. I'm sure it's an extremely tough decision.

I seriously can't wait for the announcement. 

I've got a new possible scenario for you... Gebbia starts Akron, Colorado, & Troy but they have Martinez preparing to play against Michigan (where the Wolverines will have seen no game film of him). Gebbia might even still start against Michigan and they go to Martinez if things aren't going Nebraska's way. If the team responds and the offense moves better against Michigan under Martinez, then he is the starter the rest of the way, if healthy and Gebbia is used for mop-up duty.

2 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I've got a new possible scenario for you... Gebbia starts Akron, Colorado, & Troy but they have Martinez preparing to play against Michigan (where the Wolverines will have seen no game film of him). Gebbia might even still start against Michigan and they go to Martinez if things aren't going Nebraska's way. If the team responds and the offense moves better against Michigan under Martinez, then he is the starter the rest of the way, if healthy and Gebbia is used for mop-up duty.

:ahhhhhhhh

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

:facepalm:

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

THE OL' SWITCH-A-ROO!!!!!!!

Did anyone listen to Sharp & Benning yesterday morning? Benning was at Friday's scrimmage along with some of the other former players and shared some basic thoughts on what he saw.

In his opinion, the difference between Gebbia/Martinez right now is essentially a preference. I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but he said Gebbia probably has the advantage in terms of quick thinking and turnovers, but AM has an advantage in overall presence. He also said he saw AM execute a pretty electric play with his feet at one point, while Gebbia had an incredible out route throw during some situational drills at the scrimmage.

Benning posed him the question of if Benning 'thinks it'll come down to who is the best in regards to presence, quick thinking and turnovers,' and Benning thinks it's going to end up coming down to more than that because the two are so close in all three of those aspects.

• Plus1 2

It just seems like all through camp Frost has put a premium on the things Gebbia (apparently) does well.

You really have to strain to find evidence he's favoring Martinez.

Do you see the strain?  I see the strain.

• Plus1 5

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Did anyone listen to Sharp & Benning yesterday morning? Benning was at Friday's scrimmage along with some of the other former players and shared some basic thoughts on what he saw.

In his opinion, the difference between Gebbia/Martinez right now is essentially a preference. I'm paraphrasing a bit here, but he said Gebbia probably has the advantage in terms of quick thinking and turnovers, but AM has an advantage in overall presence. He also said he saw AM execute a pretty electric play with his feet at one point, while Gebbia had an incredible out route throw during some situational drills at the scrimmage.

Benning posed him the question of if Benning 'thinks it'll come down to who is the best in regards to presence, quick thinking and turnovers,' and Benning thinks it's going to end up coming down to more than that because the two are so close in all three of those aspects.

Yeah, I heard that segment. Man, DB uses way more time then needed to get his point across. He tends to lull me to sleep sometimes when he goes on like he did there

It sure sounded like DB thought Gebbia would be the guy, and that seems to be the growing thought among those in the know, that have chosen to speak about it. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It just seems like all through camp Frost has put a premium on the things Gebbia (apparently) does well.

You really have to strain to find evidence he's favoring Martinez.

Do you feel the strain?  I feel the strain.

Related image

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Yeah, I heard that segment. Man, DB uses way more time then needed to get his point across. He tends to lull me to sleep sometimes when he goes on like he did there

Benning has a pretty sexy voice. That's probably what causes the lull.

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

I've got a new possible scenario for you... you're desperately searching for a way to keep your head from exploding in case Martinez isn't named the starter ahead of the Akron game.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I sure hope that's not it.....

I propose a test. Let me know if you're still awake in 10 minutes.

8 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I propose a test. Let me know if you're still awake in 10 minutes.

That's not Damon Benning!

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

That's not Damon Benning!

But he thinks you're very beautiful and it's making him blush.

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It sure sounded like DB thought Gebbia would be the guy, and that seems to be the growing thought among those in the know, that have chosen to speak about it. 

Yeah, that's sort of what I picked up on from him, as well. The more I over-analyze and read into the things observers are saying, the more I think they like Gebbia because of his ball security and 'quick blinkers.' I don't think they necessarily feel like they need Martinez' flash right now because of their other offensive weapons, at least when it comes to taking the flash with some of the bad.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Yeah, that's sort of what I picked up on from him, as well. The more I over-analyze and read into the things observers are saying, the more I think they like Gebbia because of his ball security and 'quick blinkers.' I don't think they necessarily feel like they need Martinez' flash right now because of their other offensive weapons, at least when it comes to taking the flash with some of the bad.

I could see Gebbia becoming a really, really good QB in this system. There seems to be a consistent opinion out there that Martinez will eventually be the guy, even if Gebbia is too start.... I just don't see it that way. From what we know of Gebbia, I expect him to keep that job as long as he's at Nebraska (the possibility of injury withstanding).

6 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Women can be weird.....

Yes, they're a complex bunch. @Moiraine is no exception :)

4 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Maybe Gebbia will be Nebraska's Colt McCoy. 

Please God, no. Someone could Suh him.

• Plus1 3

5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I could see Gebbia becoming a really, really good QB in this system. There seems to be a consistent opinion out there that Martinez will eventually be the guy, even if Gebbia is too start.... I just don't see it that way. From what we know of Gebbia, I expect him to keep that job as long as he's at Nebraska (the possibility of injury withstanding).

If Gebbia is a Joe Ganz with quick feet, we'll have a special offense. We potentially have more weapons on offense than we did in 2008. However, I think AM is the guy. I believe he has to take the job away from Gebbia and earn it outright. As of this moment, I'm not so sure he has done that.

I wouldn't be surprised if TG starts against Akron but even so, this fanbase (some) will not accept that kind of decision. We have to remember, we have no QB with real game experience. I don't think you can truly make a 100% conscious decision based on practices alone when you're put in that spot.

This is not the old Nebraska offense. A pass first QB who can think on the fly and distribute the pigskin to everyone in his arsenal is what they're looking for. A dual threat is an added bonus. This QB battle may be fully determined in an actual game, IMO. Whoever coach Frost decides on, the fan base has to rally behind him and his starter.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, FTW said:

Please God, no. Someone could Suh him.

When Colt McCoy got Suh'd, the next game he played was the national championship.

....I'd gladly take that haha

• Plus1 3

Just now, Landlord said:

When Colt McCoy got Suh'd, the next game he played was the national championship.

....I'd gladly take that haha

But then he got pwned again.

11 minutes ago, FTW said:

This is not the old Nebraska offense. A pass first QB who can think on the fly and distribute the pigskin to everyone in his arsenal is what they're looking for. A dual threat is an added bonus. 

There is no doubt the passing game makes this thing go. Milton made huge gains there in year 2 and that was the catalyst for the entire offense to do the same. However, they are recruiting dual threat guys for a reason, and this staff believes if a QB is a good enough athlete then they can teach the other skills. That doesn't describe the dual threat as an added bonus, but a chief requirement.

I don't think that requirement has ever seriously been in question, but rather if all QBs possess it. I also believe a gameday atmosphere, with live tackling, would showcase that.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

There is no doubt the passing game makes this thing go. Milton made huge gains there in year 2 and that was the catalyst for the entire offense to do the same. However, they are recruiting dual threat guys for a reason, and this staff believes if a QB is a good enough athlete then they can teach the other skills. That doesn't describe the dual threat as an added bonus, but a chief requirement.

I don't think that requirement has ever seriously been in question, but rather if all QBs possess it. I also believe a gameday atmosphere, with live tackling, would showcase that.

I'm excited for the season to start. I'm no insider but, I do believe that having a guy who has an uncanny ability to make plays with his feet will give opposing DC's nightmares. Based on what I've seen and heard it sounds like AM's running ability is quite a bit ahead of Gebbia. We just haven't heard if AM is up to speed in the passing game.

Personally, I'm glad we have a QB problem. Been a while since we had really good QB competition on our roster. I'm glad Frost is the guy who ultimately decides this. Bottom line, TG or AM, I don't think will make it through the season without harm. The backup is bound to get playing time this year and has to be ready to be called upon.

Hey, Tom went through something similar. I'm surprised no reporters have asked SF if he's learning on Osborne for input on having two good QB's on his team.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

There seems to be a consistent opinion out there that Martinez will eventually be the guy, even if Gebbia is too start.... I just don't see it that way.

I'm 100% with you there. If I had to bet money, I'd say the guy who takes the job hangs onto the job all season and beyond, barring injury. I just think Frost will be immensely patient, owing to his experience as a QB, and that the starter will benefit greatly from real game experience.

6 hours ago, FTW said:

Whoever coach Frost decides on, the fan base has to rally behind him and his starter.

Fortunately, I think most fans will.

The fans whom attach themselves to specific players, and act disappointed if that player doesn't win a job, are typically a loud minority.

14 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm 100% with you there. If I had to bet money, I'd say the guy who takes the job hangs onto the job all season and beyond, barring injury. I just think Frost will be immensely patient, owing to his experience as a QB, and that the starter will benefit greatly from real game experience.

+1

The funny part of all of this is that SF may have selected his QB months ago and is just using the competition to improve his selection.  I firmly believe in our coaching staff's ability to win with either option so I haven't lost any sleep over the decision.  My hunch is AM is the guy and SF has been using the others to push his development.  Pretty hard to bench a guy with Martinez's raw abilities.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, brophog said:

And UCF loses to Auburn if not for Milton's running ability. Speed covers up a lot of deficiencies.

• Plus1 1

I still remember Benning trying to hype Bunch when it was plainly obvious to everyone else he was a distant 3rd in the race.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

I still remember Benning trying to hype Bunch when it was plainly obvious to everyone else he was a distant 3rd in the race.

Damon Benning could tell me the sky was blue, and I'd have to run to the curtains to confirm.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

And UCF loses to Auburn if not for Milton's running ability. Speed covers up a lot of deficiencies.

Sam McKewon keeps coming back to that regarding Martinez.  I know Frost has a lot of confidence in his offensive system, but at some point, NU is going to need a guy who can burn good defenses (Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.) with the running ability.  Gebbia will do good enough to get a few yards here and there running the ball, but he's not the running threat to scare defenses like Martinez is.  If Martinez can get close to what Gebbia can do in terms of passing and command of the offense, I think Martinez will win the job.

25 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I'd say that's cherry picking for sure. That one little tidbit (that may or may not even be true) doesn't mean that Frost & Verduzco are prioritizing running ability over decision making and passing accuracy. I feel very sure of that.

Milton was not that fast and was not a really dynamic runner. If memory serves, the only QB last year with a higher passer rating was the #1 pick in the NFL draft.

His legs were not what made UCF's offense so deadly. It was his arm.

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

This could be true.  But Milton also doesn't strike me as a burner.  I'm not sure Milton is any faster than Gebbia.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Fortunately, I think most fans will.

The fans whom attach themselves to specific players, and act disappointed if that player doesn't win a job, are typically a loud minority.

A handful of them can be found on HB, lol to tell you the truth.

Just now, Hilltop said:

Milton - 4.43 40 time  (ESPN)

TG - 4.59 

AM- 4.79

Martinez tripped during his 40 time FWIW.

6 minutes ago, FTW said:

Do we want a tripper at QB?

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, FTW said:

If milton runs a 4.43 i am a racecar driver

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Milton - 4.43 40 time  (ESPN)

TG - 4.59 

AM- 4.79

Where/when were these 40s timed? Milton ran a 4.64 which is sparq verified. I have a hard time believing he could drop .21 seconds since then.

• Plus1 1

Those are the most recent published numbers for each that I can find online- of course you will discount them because that's what people do.  You and I both know we have absolutely no way to know who actually timed them because you can't find that info on anyone until the show up at a pro-day or combine.  There is no spoon Neo...