Anyone like father-daughter dances?

I'm okay with public schools not sponsoring them. Sounds like a waste of tax dollars to me. The one in my hometown is put on by the YMCA.

Also, I didn't have a dad, so I didn't do it. So changing it to a parent-child dance sounds perfectly fine to me. I'm guessing they wouldn't disallow it being a mom or a male relative, but the name was enough of a deterrent.

Edited by Moiraine

That's nothing! Ever hear the story of newcomer Ren McCormack? From Chicago, Ren is in shock when he discovers the small Midwestern town he now calls home has made dancing and rock music illegal. As he struggles to fit in, Ren faces an uphill battle to change things. With the help of his new friend, Willard Hewitt, and defiant teen Ariel Moore, he might loosen up this conservative town. But Ariel's influential father, Reverend Shaw Moore, stands in the way. Tough times!

(I wish this was mine!)

• Plus1 2

Ugh...yeah, we've been having to deal with the flipside of this--our idiot PTA puts these on, but then has Father/Son Game Night for the boys instead...and my daughter would much rather do the game night. 

Why not just open both things up to whomever wants to go and call it 'Parent/Child Dance' and 'Game Night' and be done with it? 

18 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Ugh...yeah, we've been having to deal with the flipside of this--our idiot PTA puts these on, but then has Father/Son Game Night for the boys instead...and my daughter would much rather do the game night. 

Why not just open both things up to whomever wants to go and call it 'Parent/Child Dance' and 'Game Night' and be done with it? 

Just put out a flier "Gym open from 7pm to 10pm...for stuff" and leave it at that.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Just put out a flier "Gym open from 7pm to 10pm...for stuff" and leave it at that.  

I agree...but unfortunately the Southern Baptist church has their hooks in everything going on in this town, and they refuse to let anything be gender neutral. Requests to do so quickly go from ludicrous to plaid because everything is a war on their religious beliefs (that they shouldn't be bringing into the discussion in the first place).

Edited by VectorVictor

Our town has one. I've got daughters. I'm not a fan. Call me heartless, but I'm just not a fan of them. It's just a bunch of guys with their daughters and an awkward DJ trying to get us out on the dance floor. I'm not an alcoholic, but to get me dancing, I do need a little bit of a social lubricant. OP asked, I answered. :dunno

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Mcdee said:

Our town has one. I've got daughters. I'm not a fan. Call me heartless, but I'm just not a fan of them. It's just a bunch of guys with their daughters and an awkward DJ trying to get us out on the dance floor. I'm not an alcoholic, but to get me dancing, I do need a little bit of a social lubricant. OP asked, I answered. :dunno

Does it depend on the age a bit or not really?  Like are your daughters still in middle school?  

We have them at my high school and from what I can tell it is something the girls find to be "very cute"

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Does it depend on the age a bit or not really?  Like are your daughters still in middle school?  

We have them at my high school and from what I can tell it is something the girls find to be "very cute"

The city parks and rec puts it on and it's all ages. Maybe it's just me, but dancing is painful. I stomach it because the 6 year old has fun, but to me it's very forced. Maybe I'm a jerk...who knows. 

3 minutes ago, Mike Mcdee said:

The city parks and rec puts it on and it's all ages. Maybe it's just me, but dancing is painful. I stomach it because the 6 year old has fun, but to me it's very forced. Maybe I'm a jerk...who knows. 

I also hate dancing...It is horrible.  I basically have no idea what I am doing on a dance floor.

• Plus1 1
  • 11 months later...