OT Willie Canty [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

39 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Canty Commit?

• Nebraska
    • Louisville
    • USF

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 03:30 PM

19 minutes ago, ADS said:

Looks like we will need an extra OT in this class.  Never understood why we’ve struggled so much to recruit that position.

While we certainly did a good job overall this winter O-line recruiting was a bust, would think Frost having the #1 O would get us more stroke. Ya we'll definitely need another tackle this class, maybe a JUCO guy, we already have Bland but he'll probably play guard. 

10 minutes ago, Danimal said:

While we certainly did a good job overall this winter O-line recruiting was a bust, would think Frost having the #1 O would get us more stroke. Ya we'll definitely need another tackle this class, maybe a JUCO guy, we already have Bland but he'll probably play guard. 

I believe Bland will play C. We need 1 JUCO and at least 1 more HS OT to go with Anderson.

15 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm not sure they can afford to take too many undersized projects in 2019.  They are going to need help for 2019 in a bad bad way.

Depth is definitely a concern but we have 2 Sophs who look to have the tackle spots locked down for the foreseeable future. Not making excuses but is this possibly a reason we are having difficulty recruiting higher rated tackles? I'm not sure. 

3 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Depth is definitely a concern but we have 2 Sophs who look to have the tackle spots locked down for the foreseeable future. Not making excuses but is this possibly a reason we are having difficulty recruiting higher rated tackles? I'm not sure. 

First of all, no one better have anything "locked down" before they've taken one snap in a game in this new offense.

Second, Alabama has 7 OT's rated 4 star or higher and one 3 star.  AND they have 3 OT's rated 4 star or higher committed for their 2019 class.  I'm not saying Nebraska has to be Alabama, but if the 2 deep at Nebraska is scaring recruits away, I'm not buying it for a second.

14 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

First of all, no one better have anything "locked down" before they've taken one snap in a game in this new offense.

Second, Alabama has 7 OT's rated 4 star or higher and one 3 star.  AND they have 3 OT's rated 4 star or higher committed for their 2019 class.  I'm not saying Nebraska has to be Alabama, but if the 2 deep at Nebraska is scaring recruits away, I'm not buying it for a second.

Agree. No excuses. We have needs at OLINE. So because of that- the fact we are Nebraska a premier power 5 school- we just hired the best damn coach in america that was on the market. I see no reason we should not be able to pull down some high rated guys. I would think we would be reeling guys in left and right because they could play right away.

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

When you return 2 tackles who started as many games as they did as freshman there certainly is the perception they will have the upper hand, hence why i said "look to" before "locked down." 

Also, I didn't say it was scaring recruits away but it could be a factor, no one really knows. Would you rather sit and develop on a national championship contender (year in and year out) who consistently puts guys in the league or go to a program who just went 4-8 with sophs with 10+ starts between them? Similarly, most high 4 * or 5 * that go to a program that just went 4-8 would expect to get some PT right away or by the next year. If you don't think recruits look at the age of the guys who would be ahead of them on the depth chart then I'm not buying it for a second. 

12 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Garden City was the spot for a reason. We know we would have a very good chance at getting him back if he qualifies later and shows improvement as a player. We need to lock down Olaseni from Garden City for 2019. 

Yes, Garden City is a pretty good spot for him to go and still end of at DONU. Only better I could think of would be IWCC.

5 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

When you return 2 tackles who started as many games as they did as freshman there certainly is the perception they will have the upper hand, hence why i said "look to" before "locked down." 

Also, I didn't say it was scaring recruits away but it could be a factor, no one really knows. Would you rather sit and develop on a national championship contender (year in and year out) who consistently puts guys in the league or go to a program who just went 4-8 with sophs with 10+ starts between them? Similarly, most high 4 * or 5 * that go to a program that just went 4-8 would expect to get some PT right away or by the next year. If you don't think recruits look at the age of the guys who would be ahead of them on the depth chart then I'm not buying it for a second. 

Those 2 tackles started games as freshmen out of desperation.  Not because they were legit beasts.

I don't believe at all that depth charts mean as much as people claim they do.  Especially to recruits.  If you're better than the others, you play and maybe start.  That's it.  The lone exception to that might be at QB.  But certainly not on the offensive line.

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Those 2 tackles started games as freshmen out of desperation.  Not because they were legit beasts.

I don't believe at all that depth charts mean as much as people claim they do.  Especially to recruits.  If you're better than the others, you play and maybe start.  That's it.  The lone exception to that might be at QB.  But certainly not on the offensive line.

Also if the kids pay attention to depth and the age of starters etc. Also believe they know what STAR ranking those same kids were. So most 4 and 5 star kids probably carry a bit of arrogance since they have everyone tell them how amazing they are. So I would think most of them would look at our OLINE and say man all those starters were 3 star kids- I can beat them out.