OT Willie Canty [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

39 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Canty Commit?

• Nebraska
    • Louisville
    • USF

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 03:30 PM

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Also if the kids pay attention to depth and the age of starters etc. Also believe they know what STAR ranking those same kids were. So most 4 and 5 star kids probably carry a bit of arrogance since they have everyone tell them how amazing they are. So I would think most of them would look at our OLINE and say man all those starters were 3 star kids- I can beat them out. 

Yep.  If any coaching staff is recruiting players that don't have the attitude that they can beat out the players ahead of them, then those coaches shouldn't have jobs.

1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

:facepalm:  I don't mean to rag on these kids but it's frustrating that this seems to be so much of a problem every recruiting cycle.  It's really not that hard to qualify for UNL.

I agree.  It amazes me when a kid obviously dreams of playing in college at a Div 1 school and they don't do what is necessary to make sure they qualify.  Where is the HS coach making sure he's doing what he needs?  Guidance councilor?  

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  It amazes me when a kid obviously dreams of playing in college at a Div 1 school and they don't do what is necessary to make sure they qualify.  Where is the HS coach making sure he's doing what he needs?  Guidance councilor?  

Really though.  You'd think SOMEONE at the school would be helping them prepare for college and admittance.

9 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Isn't this where were supposed to bash the coaches about recruiting kids at an area of need that are big academic risks? Or is that done now that Frost is here?

I agree that these are risks we can't afford to take and it's on the coaches.  Did we know he would be an academic risk when we recruited him?

18 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

willie can'ty believe this! (Actually, I can)

This was brilliant!

He was sold as a "huge addition"!  Looking back, it was a late add and that "huge" must of meant his 290 pound frame because like a lot of our lineman ... he was a 3*.  

It probably won't be until next years recruiting cycle that we see a bit of an uptick on the quality of the OL recruits.  Personally, it's frustrating to look on ESPN Top 300 and look at a position like OT and elite programs have 2-3 elite guys all near the top of the best.  Even average programs (even in the B1G) that we would think we are better then have a couple of guys that are rated higher.  Our top guy is Mr. Anderson and he is somewhere around #82.

It all just reminds me of the patience that will be needed to restore the order.  Additionally, when our recruiting on the OL and DL start to attract 4* recruits then I'll be much more excited to take a 3* and "develop" them.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

Olaseni for JUCO

Ike and Lynn for HS

I think we have a good chance, but going to be an uphill battle as it always is with OTs to come here. The only way Canty played in his first two years would have been to injuries, which is possible. Getting his body and grades in check to come in and play as a JR are on par. 

2 hours ago, RedSavage said:

:facepalm:  I don't mean to rag on these kids but it's frustrating that this seems to be so much of a problem every recruiting cycle.  It's really not that hard to qualify for UNL.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

There's a litany of reasons why he might not have qualified, some of which could be out of the hands of someone like a HC or guidance councilor. 

18 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don't think there is anything that proves Canty was going to be "good" depth

I don't necessarily disagree with that. We both know it was a tricky situation coming in on short time last year for the staff. Some positions they gained traction quicker than others. However they had 4-5 lower rated tackles on the board and Canty was the pick of them. 

I won't be mad if we grab a solid JUCO and 2-3 HS higher quality kids this year.