OT Willie Canty [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

39 members have voted

1. 1. To Which School Will Canty Commit?

• Nebraska
    • Louisville
    • USF

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/07/2018 at 03:30 PM

2 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I won't be mad if we grab a solid JUCO and 2-3 HS higher quality kids this year. 

I don't really see any kids on the ESPN TOP 300 for OT, G or C that we are in on or have any chance at.  So, then I come back to what is "higher quality kids" for these positions.  We want to build the OL but it's got to be tough for Frost as you don't want to bring in another "Canty" who has potential but also grade issues.  

It will be fascinating to watch.  It's like a soap opera from my point of view.

Go Big Red!

2 hours ago, RedSavage said:

Really though.  You'd think SOMEONE at the school would be helping them prepare for college and admittance.

I agree that these are risks we can't afford to take and it's on the coaches.  Did we know he would be an academic risk when we recruited him?

I agree that for most people, qualifying academically should be really easy.  However, I am not going to condemn a kid who doesn't qualify academically.  Some kids just don't like school, some kids don't test well, and some kids don't figure they out what the need to do to qualify for college until it's too late.

I would say that some academic risks are "worth it" and that coaches shouldn't disregard every academic risk?  Washington is an academic risk, and I think he is 100% worth it.  Maybe the coaches think Canty is worth the risk, and they had a backup plan ready, and that's how Canty is going to this JUCO in Kansas.  Yes, it's frustrating when a kid doesn't make it academically, but I still think there are players worth recruiting, even when you know they are an academic risk.  It's part of the game in recruiting.

38 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

There's a litany of reasons why he might not have qualified, some of which could be out of the hands of someone like a HC or guidance councilor. 

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that for most people, qualifying academically should be really easy.  However, I am not going to condemn a kid who doesn't qualify academically.  Some kids just don't like school, some kids don't test well, and some kids don't figure they out what the need to do to qualify for college until it's too late.

I would say that some academic risks are "worth it" and that coaches shouldn't disregard every academic risk?  Washington is an academic risk, and I think he is 100% worth it.  Maybe the coaches think Canty is worth the risk, and they had a backup plan ready, and that's how Canty is going to this JUCO in Kansas.  Yes, it's frustrating when a kid doesn't make it academically, but I still think there are players worth recruiting, even when you know they are an academic risk.  It's part of the game in recruiting.

I was actually going to edit my post to say how I think players of Washington's caliber are 100% worth the risk.  OT is not really a position I think we can afford to be taking that risk, unless we have a backup plan like Robinson as Seaofred stated, or they are just that good (Washington).  It's not like a coach/counselor can do his homework and get his grades for him but if it's academic, a guidance counselor or someone of the sort at the school could very much tell him what he needs to do to qualify for a specific college.  I know there can be extenuating circumstances for some people and it's not always cut and dry so I get it happening once in awhile.  My point is UNL does not have difficult admission standards compared to a lot of schools and this seems to be happening more than it should IMO.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I was actually going to edit my post to say how I think players of Washington's caliber are 100% worth the risk.  OT is not really a position I think we can afford to be taking that risk, unless we have a backup plan like Robinson as Seaofred stated, or they are just that good (Washington).  It's not like a coach/counselor can do his homework and get his grades for him but if it's academic, a guidance counselor or someone of the sort at the school could very much tell him what he needs to do to qualify for a specific college.  I know there can be extenuating circumstances for some people and it's not always cut and dry so I get it happening once in awhile.  My point is UNL does not have difficult admission standards compared to a lot of schools and this seems to be happening more than it should IMO.

Do you pay attention to a lot of other schools and the amount of recruits they lose to academic standards?  I don't know if NU is high or low in the amount of recruiting losses compared to other schools.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Do you pay attention to a lot of other schools and the amount of recruits they lose to academic standards?  I don't know if NU is high or low in the amount of recruiting losses compared to other schools.

No I don't and it could be a normal amount in comparison.  What I do know, from going to college and looking at numerous schools before hand, is that UNL admission standards are not that difficult in comparison to a lot of schools.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'd bet many schools have the same problem with qualifying.  But if you're not recruiting like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc, you can't afford to miss on your ONLY tackle of your recruiting class.

Just my opinion, of course.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'd bet many schools have the same problem with qualifying.  But if you're not recruiting like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, etc, you can't afford to miss on your ONLY tackle of your recruiting class.

That's a valid opinion, and Frost and the staff deserve some criticism for that.  If this trend continues in years 2-4 of the recruiting cycles, it would be very concerning.

3 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

This is more or less where I was going with things

3 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

No I don't and it could be a normal amount in comparison.  What I do know, from going to college and looking at numerous schools before hand, is that UNL admission standards are not that difficult in comparison to a lot of schools.

I agree that UNL is a pretty easy school to get into academically, compared to other schools in the Big Ten.  However, the academic requirements for athletes are loosened pretty significantly at the other Big Ten schools, as well.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's a valid opinion, and Frost and the staff deserve some criticism for that.  If this trend continues in years 2-4 of the recruiting cycles, it would be very concerning.

I'm not complaining about them trying last year.  It's not like Riley and Co had a whale on the hook last year.

But when you couple last year with this years lone tackle so far as basically a project.  That's not a great sign to me.  It doesn't mean that the 2019 kid won't turn out good for the team.  It's just we actually do need good OL that should be competing for starting jobs as RS freshmen or sophomores because they are that good.  

He's got a couple years to get there but right now, it's concerning

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Ideal (semi-realistic) class for me is:

Anderson

Two of Trieber/Ike/Lynn

Olaseni (Juco)

Olaseni might be a tough pull. 

I deal for me is Anderson since he's committed

And then at least 3 guys that are legit college sized OL that can at least push for playing time and not need 2 years in the gym just to get there.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I deal for me is Anderson since he's committed

And then at least 3 guys that are legit college sized OL that can at least push for playing time and not need 2 years in the gym just to get there.

I'd be curious as to how many oline kids that fit that description there are per year. I'd be surprised if there are many ready year 1, year 2 I could see more.