Confrence Re-Alignement Ideas?

53 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Oklahoma can't qualify for the B1G academically and it's not even close.  

If you think NU getting in had much to do with academics you would be wrong.

https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/list/

You will find UT at #91, OU at #201, Mizzou at #223, KU at #234 and then UNL at #253.

Edited by runningblind
  • Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

Oklahoma can't qualify for the B1G academically and it's not even close.  

Wasn't that also an issue with Nebraska? 

I thought (could be wrong) that the snooty, patch-on-their-elbows-jacket-pipe-smoking-Big10-academic-elitist wonks were guffawing and turning their noses up at "lowly" Nebraska joining their "academically superior" conference?

To the point of re-alignment: I'd take Oklahoma and Kansas.  That would push the league to 16 teams anx that is definitely enough.  I'd want OU for football and Kansas for basketball.

On a side note: Texas can f the ____ off and burn in hell.  I don't want those crooked, corrupt, burnt orange, snake oil/used car salesmen anywhere near this conference.

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 2

The Pac 12 wouldn't take Boise because it's not a research institution.  They probably wouldn't take BYU because of the religious aspect and BYU's special scheduling needs.  Houston I can't speak to because I don't know anything about their academics.  As for Texas, they had a chance, but wouldn't give up the Longhorn Network and the Pac 12 told them they couldn't join unless they gave it up.  

8 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Wasn't that also an issue with Nebraska? 

I thought (could be wrong) that the snooty, patch-on-their-elbows-jacket-pipe-smoking-Big10-academic-elitist wonks were guffawing and turning their noses up at "lowly" Nebraska joining their "academically superior" conference?

To the point of re-alignment: I'd take Oklahoma and Kansas.  That would push the league to 16 teams anx that is definitely enough.  I'd want OU for football and Kansas for basketball.

On a side note: Texas can f the ____ off and burn in hell.  I don't want those crooked, corrupt, burnt orange, snake oil/used car salesmen anywhere near this conference.

Nebraska was AAU accredited when we joined. The only reason we lost it is because they decided that AG research wasn't good enough for their elite little club, but as far as the conference goes we are still considered a good system.  

Don't get me wrong,  I would love to have as many of the old big 8 teams join the conference as possible, I just don't see it happening at this point with Oklahoma.  Texas won't be willing to lose the longhorn network so I'm not sure a deal can be struck with the BIG.  Kansas doesn't bring a big enough media market.   Those 3 are the best prospects for expansion but they all come with concerns that make me think the BIG won't be the first to strike. 

17 hours ago, Branno said:

They weren't just wrong, they were laughably wrong about one of the core tenants of their argument that ND wouldn't join the B1G. This should cast doubt on the rest of the points they make. It's just not a good article to use to defend the idea that ND wouldn't join the B1G, which it seems is what you were trying to do (specifically mentioning the bad blood between ND and the B1G). 

In the end, if ND really makes a decision on joining the B1G based off a slight that happened over 100 years ago.... do we really want them in the B1G?

Life's too short to be looking for reasons to jump another Husker fan on a message board.

I never wrote that ND would refuse to join the B1G solely because of history.  I pointed out their affiliation with the ACC and alluded to bad blood over what was much more than a "slight" (given that some powerful members of the Western Conference effectively tried to kill the ND football program).  I shared a link to an article in which a domer gave his perspective because that's what the OP seemed to be asking for.  The article may not have been the most current but it made several points, the majority of which are still valid today, and included a link to a blog entry on the aforementioned history.  If that blog was interesting to anyone, here's another page that speaks to the Irish series with NU: irishlegends.com.

By the way, I think you were probably wanting to use "tenets" in place of "tenants" above.  If we could live in arguments, nobody would be homeless.  ;)

14 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

I agree. Notre Dame is never leaving the ACC. They literally get to have their cake and eat it too. 

That's how it looks to be sure.  I wonder about a lot of things college football and the independent issue is what makes it messy to me, along with the matter of half the division being outside the P5.  It would be great if we could have a simple playoff including all the conference champions, even with the G5 ones.  I'd love it if we could retain some of the meaning of the regular season by seeding all the participants and allowing home games.  I'd love to see a system that allows Nebraska to host a Florida team in November, for example.  I've shared before how disgusting I think it is that ND allows U$C to come play no later than October.

Edited by beorach
28 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Nebraska was AAU accredited when we joined. The only reason we lost it is because they decided that AG research wasn't good enough for their elite little club, but as far as the conference goes we are still considered a good system.  

Don't get me wrong,  I would love to have as many of the old big 8 teams join the conference as possible, I just don't see it happening at this point with Oklahoma.  Texas won't be willing to lose the longhorn network so I'm not sure a deal can be struck with the BIG.  Kansas doesn't bring a big enough media market.   Those 3 are the best prospects for expansion but they all come with concerns that make me think the BIG won't be the first to strike. 

Wouldn't KU because considered the Kansas City media market? IF KU was to move, it would just help to strengthen the BIGs roots in the KC Metro that is currently divided between the BIG XII, the Big Ten and the SEC (Missouri). 

The Big Ten has virually zero interest in Kansas, Oklahoma or Missouri. They would take Texas and Notre Dame in a heartbeat but neither side would have reason to agree to the other's terms so it won't happen.

The Big Ten has two targets - North Carolina and Virginia. Unless Texas loses it's incentives to keep the B12 afloat nothing major will happen until those two are willing to move. Which won't be soon.

7 hours ago, beorach said:

Life's too short to be looking for reasons to jump another Husker fan on a message board.

I never wrote that ND would refuse to join the B1G solely because of history.  I pointed out their affiliation with the ACC and alluded to bad blood over what was much more than a "slight" (given that some powerful members of the Western Conference effectively tried to kill the ND football program).  I shared a link to an article in which a domer gave his perspective because that's what the OP seemed to be asking for.  The article may not have been the most current but it made several points, the majority of which are still valid today, and included a link to a blog entry on the aforementioned history.  If that blog was interesting to anyone, here's another page that speaks to the Irish series with NU: irishlegends.com.

By the way, I think you were probably wanting to use "tenets" in place of "tenants" above.  If we could live in arguments, nobody would be homeless.  ;)

It's funny that you equate disagreeing with an article, which was horribly wrong in one of its main assertions, to jumping a Husker fan and then immediately point out a grammar mistake. If you wanted me to ignore the entire paragraph between those two things, good job.

Let me revise my Big Ten wish list a bit.  This would be m guess on who they want and how much they want them.

1-Notre Dame

2-Texas

3-Virginia

4-Oklahoma

5-Kansas

6-North Carolina

7-Missouri

8-UConn

9-Syracuse

If they could pick the top 2, they would in a heartbeat, but ND is completely off the table.  If they could get OU and UT, they would in a heartbeat.  If they could take OU and add to the West and Virginia to the East, they would.  If OU ans KU came as a package deal to the West, it would be considered and I think it already is being considered.  Same for UVA and NC.  Missouri, UConn and Cuse are all backup targets that would be throw ins if they had to even it out if they only got a Texas, Virginia or Notre Dame.

How about we just nuke the conferences and have everyone go independent and play who ever they like.

Then at the end of the year we take the 4 teams with the best record and have them play off for bragging rights.

A schedule makers nightmare, but a guaranteed black friday game with the sooners every year.

47 minutes ago, Redux said:

Let me revise my Big Ten wish list a bit.  This would be m guess on who they want and how much they want them.

1-Notre Dame

2-Texas

3-Virginia

4-Oklahoma

5-Kansas

6-North Carolina

7-Missouri

8-UConn

9-Syracuse

If they could pick the top 2, they would in a heartbeat, but ND is completely off the table.  If they could get OU and UT, they would in a heartbeat.  If they could take OU and add to the West and Virginia to the East, they would.  If OU ans KU came as a package deal to the West, it would be considered and I think it already is being considered.  Same for UVA and NC.  Missouri, UConn and Cuse are all backup targets that would be throw ins if they had to even it out if they only got a Texas, Virginia or Notre Dame.

No, outside of a deal with Texas or ND that is equitable, The Big Ten's #1 target is UNC and it's not close. #2 is Virginia. #3-infinity is whatever schools let them land UNC.

Kansas and Missouri are nothing to the Big Ten powerbrokers. They add nothing the conference cares about. (and yes Kansas Basketball is completely irrelevant to them)

Oklahoma is also not very valuable.. football matters a lot but as far as the numbers, OU is still a very regional fanbase in a relatively weak market. All they are seen as is a potential wedge/chip to entice Texas or the SEC to make a move if the Big Ten feels that would lead to a favorable outcome to the BiG Ten's interests. The Big Ten would swallow and accept OU but only as a means of adding Texas. 

The same goes with Syracuse, Duke, UConn etc. They are only relevant in a package with UNC and Virginia.  Thus, without UNC flat out requiring any combination of those schools be part of the deal they are completely irrelevant.

Well, you're entitled to that opinion.  Mine isn't based on fact, just things I've heard.  Oklahoma is very much in the mix, even without Texas.  Not just in this thread I linked, but elssewhere too.

Fact of the matter is they aren't expanding unless they get one of their top targets and it won't be Notre Dame.  If the Big 12 implodes and the Big Ten doesn't go after the top of the league it would be a massive failure on their part.  Leaving Oklahoma Football and Kansas Basketball open for the SEC or ACC would be stupid.  The ACC is in pretty good shape as is, Virginia and North Carolina have little incentive to leave, and I think they would be courted from the south as well if they started listening to offers.

Edited by Redux