Confrence Re-Alignement Ideas?

9 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

So the BIG 10 looked to add 5 teams all at one shot.   Not a one was ultimately added.   

Nebraska was one of those teams...so yeah...one was ultimately added. 

source.gif

Do you suppose that maybe this is a story that was told to the media as a shot across the bow of Texas?   Texas has long been using the rest of the conference for their own enrichment, this could have just been a way of telling them "hey, we aren't interested in being your whipping boy so let's make things a bit more equitable or we are going to leave".  

Again, RTFA. The story wasn't published until Barfknecht found a second source to confirm. So no, this wasn't some made-up tale (as you're implying) to take a shot across the bow against Texass. This was a legitimate proposal between those schools and the B1G in response to Texass bolting to the then-Pac-10 that was floated out there and accepted by all schools except aTm (who had problems with the revenue-sharing model). And considering that schools involved left (Nebraska, aTm), looked at leaving (Kansas was poised to move to the Big East before its collapse), or have concerns with the current status quo in the Big XII (Oklahoma), to suggest that this was just a "story" is wishful thinking at best. 

I'm not saying that the B1G would absolutely not make an exception for Oklahoma, but it's widely known that the conference values AAU acreditation and Oklahoma has a ways to go to get to that point.  

The conference already knew about Nebraska's issues with the AAU before we were accepted, Notre Dame isn't part of the AAU (and has been the object of the B1G's expansion desires for some time), and Oklahoma isn't part of the AAU and the B1G was perfectly fine with accepting them as-is back in 2010. Plus, the article Redux posted already covered this--you just need to RTFA. 

Bottom line, AAU accreditation is not a prerequisite for B1G membership, and to think otherwise is a fallacy. 

• Plus1 4
56 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Ok.  So the B1G wants Oklahoma and will ignore their history of only letting in schools with AAU accreditation.  Oklahoma would stand to come out very well financially from joining.   What's the reason it didn't happen?  

Are you not reading the responses?

Playing Wisconsin, Iowa, Oklahoma and 1/2 of (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State) + 1 big non-conference game would be an epic annual schedule.

Would be fun to play Iowa on Labor Day weekend each year and beat their ass to get the season started and then always finish with Oklahoma on Black Friday.

Edited by ScottyIce

I think you'd want 4 divisions if we go to 16 teams or more. Playing 7 division games is a lot. You'd hardly ever get games with the other division.

OTOH it would probably piss off whichever Big Ten teams got put into a division full of newbies.

E.g.

Southwest: Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa.

But they could do the permanent crossover game again.

My ideal 20 team 4 division conference (if we can't kick out Maryland and Rutgers) would be:

Nebraska

Kansas

Kansas State

Oklahoma

Missouri

Minnesota

Iowa

Iowa State

Wisconsin

Illinois

Notre Dame

Northwestern

Indiana

Michigan State

Michigan

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers

Maryland

Pittsburgh

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

If we end up adding OU and KU, I expect it to look like this

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Kansas

Iowa

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Illinois

Northwestern 

Michigan

Michigan State

Indiana

Purdue

Penn State

Ohio State

Rutgers

Maryland

Protected crossovers of UM vs tOSU, Iowa vs Wiscy, MSU vs PSU, NU vs Minn etc.

• Plus1 3
8 hours ago, Crazyhole said:

Ok.  So the B1G wants Oklahoma and will ignore their history of only letting in schools with AAU accreditation.  Oklahoma would stand to come out very well financially from joining.   What's the reason it didn't happen?  

7 hours ago, Redux said:

tumblr_nbl9l88ADt1sr9z69o1_400.gif

• Plus1 2

Actually, I think it's not that far out of the realm of possibility if:

Colorado, Texas, A&M, Tech, Oklahoma and Okie State joined the PAC 10

Missouri got their Big Ten invite

I have little doubt the ACC and SEC would have fought to bring Nebraska and Kansas in.

Edited by Redux
On 2/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, Redux said:

Yep.  And I asked the question of why didn't Oklahoma jump when they were supposedly given the opportunity, but haven't seen a response that addresses it.  I also haven't seen anything that shows the B1G has changed their mind about AAU accreditation when history shows that they only take schools that are either already accredited or close to it.  It's clearly important to the conference based on empirical evidence.     So yes I've read the posts and none of them provide any proof that the B1G would take Oklahoma when everything points to the opposite other than speculation based on a 3rd party account of talks that happened but ultimately led to Oklahoma not joining the conference for apparently no reason.  

On 2/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, Redux said:

20 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

Yep.  And I asked the question of why didn't Oklahoma jump when they were supposedly given the opportunity, but haven't seen a response that addresses it.  I also haven't seen anything that shows the B1G has changed their mind about AAU accreditation when history shows that they only take schools that are either already accredited or close to it.  It's clearly important to the conference based on empirical evidence.     So yes I've read the posts and none of them provide any proof that the B1G would take Oklahoma when everything points to the opposite other than speculation based on a 3rd party account of talks that happened but ultimately led to Oklahoma not joining the conference for apparently no reason.  

Sooooo...that’s a “no” to Redux’s question then. 

• Plus1 1