Tyronn Lue

7 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Don't forget the excitement of Darin Erstad running Nebraska baseball. Oh wait...

Put me in the “not sold on Lue” as the next Nebraska coach. 

People act like Lue was actually the coach of that team teaching them how to play the game and fundamentals. NOT!!!!

Erstad was a great major league player. Has he been successful?

Go get someone that has proven they can coach on college and is passionate about recruiting. 

I don't think Lue would be successful here.

I'm not sure if he would be successful in college at all. He could be great. I'm not even sure if he would be successful in the NBA without Lebron James. LBJ has made a number of mediocre coaches look much better than their capabilities.

The NBA game, from a coaching standpoint, is night and day different than college.

my take is if Avery Johnson can be successful at Alabama then Tyronn Lue can be successful at Nebraska. 

Lue was mentioned as being ready to be a head coach prior to taking over the Cavaliers. There is a lot more coaching in the NBA, especially in the playoffs, than many here either care to admit or actually know about. Even Steve Kerr doesn't just "roll the ball out and let them play". 

If Lue, with all his playing and coaching experience and NBA connections, can't recruit to Nebraska, then nobody can. This doesn't look like its happening ever at this point in time so its not worth fighting on it but again- Lue in my opinion would be more than successful here. Certainly no worse than we currently have. 

By the way- comparing Erstad and Lue is not even remotely close to the same thing and defies logic. Erstad had exactly 1 year of coaching experience when he took the Nebraska job- as a volunteer coach at Nebraska. Tyronn Lue won a NBA world championship as both a head coach and a player, and in his first year he was a head coach nonetheless. I'm shocked so many people are against this, yet were okay with Miles getting year 7.

Edited by seaofred92
12 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Lue was mentioned as being ready to be a head coach prior to taking over the Cavaliers. There is a lot more coaching in the NBA, especially in the playoffs, than many here either care to admit or actually know about. Even Steve Kerr doesn't just "roll the ball out and let them play". 

Coaching in college is totally different than the NBA with LBJ on your team running it.  The one thing that I will give you that Lue has major experience in doing is managing egos.  That is the only way he was able to win the NBA World Championship.  Even that was easier for him than most because he was hand picked by King James himself.  Other than that, he has zero experience evaluating HS talent, recruiting that HS talent, managing college student athletes, coaching fundamentals to those HS athletes.....etc.

Just because Lue has a big name right now in Basketball, that doesn't mean he understands how to recruit, is willing to put the work in to do it and is a good salesman for convincing HS kids to come to Nebraska.

Edited by BigRedBuster
51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Coaching in college is totally different than the NBA with LBJ on your team running it.  The one thing that I will give you that Lue has major experience in doing is managing egos.  That is the only way he was able to win the NBA World Championship.  Even that was easier for him than most because he was hand picked by King James himself.  Other than that, he has zero experience evaluating HS talent, recruiting that HS talent, managing college student athletes, coaching fundamentals to those HS athletes.....etc.

Just because Lue has a big name right now in Basketball, that doesn't mean he understands how to recruit, is willing to put the work in to do it and is a good salesman for convincing HS kids to come to Nebraska.

I understand he's never coached in college. That doesn't mean he's incapable of doing so or assembling a staff that would be great at it. 

Again- Tyronn Lue was widely recognized before taking over the Cleveland job as a guy that was going to get a head coaching job. https://www.boston.com/sports/celtics-blog/2009/10/23/lue_joins_celti

Two years ago, when Rivers was winning a championship in Boston and Lue was a veteran reserve with the Magic, Rivers had talked to Lue.

“There’s guys you coach all the time that you say, ‘He’ll be a coach.’ And Ty Lue was on the top of that list,” Rivers said. “I told him when you’re ready to stop trying to play basketball and you want to come sit on the bench and join us, we’ll create it,” Rivers said. “No matter how many coaches we have, I’ll get you a job.”

This notion that he's incapable of running a college program because he's never done it before it just stupid in my opinion. There are plenty of coaches that spend their entire careers in college basketball that are incapable of running a good college basketball program. We employ one of them right now. In my opinion, to completely discredit what Tyronn Lue has done as a coach because "he had LeBron James" is not only a mistake, but a reflection of your understanding of the NBA as a whole. 

Lastly- this idea that Lue would have no idea how to evaluate HS talent or would have difficulty recruiting is a complete assumption on your end. You are correct that he may not have experience in those areas, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't or couldn't be good at doing those things. Even if you your assumption is correct, this is something that could easily be addressed in his staff and assistant coaches. A majority of the heavy recruiting and scouting is handled by staffers and assistants. Head coaches will travel on the summer circuit to the big AAU tournaments to see their top prospects and whatnot but those players have already been identified by the other members of the program long before that. And not to mention that every professional basketball organization has a scouting department that begins to scout not just high school players, but international players of interest when these kids are 14/15 years old. 

If Memphis is willing to hire Penny Hardaway, Alabama Avery Johnson, Tulane Mike Dunleavy Sr, etc there is zero reason Nebraska shouldn't reach out to Tyronn Lue if it had the opportunity. 

13 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

By the way- comparing Erstad and Lue is not even remotely close to the same thing and defies logic. Erstad had exactly 1 year of coaching experience when he took the Nebraska job- as a volunteer coach at Nebraska. Tyronn Lue won a NBA world championship as both a head coach and a player, and in his first year he was a head coach nonetheless. I'm shocked so many people are against this, yet were okay with Miles getting year 7.

I agree that Lue and Erstad are not on the same level, however saying that TL has a "NBA world championship" and not mentioning that DE has it's equivalent in baseball (along with several awards) is interesting.  Also, are there any NBA teams outside of the United States?  if not, i'm pretty sure the use of "world" is over stated.

14 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

I agree that Lue and Erstad are not on the same level, however saying that TL has a "NBA world championship" and not mentioning that DE has it's equivalent in baseball (along with several awards) is interesting.  Also, are there any NBA teams outside of the United States?  if not, i'm pretty sure the use of "world" is over stated.

There is one NBA team not in the USA.  The Toronto Raptors are in Canada.

The use of the word "world" is not overstated and not because all the teams are in two countries.  There is a reason the best players in the world want to play in the NBA and it's not all about the amount of money they can make.  The best players in any sport want to challenge themselves against the best and for basketball, that is the NBA.

I have no idea if Lue would make a good college coach, but if Cleveland decides they want him and NU decides they don't want Miles there's no reason to at least talk to him.  The worst thing that happens is he says "no" and they move on to another target.  I doubt NU could lure him away from Cleveland, but if he's looking and NU's looking, why not?

11 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'd much rather have someone like Mark Gottfried than Ty Lue. 

Even if he set up the $40,000 payment to Dennis Smith Jr.'s parents?

(not saying he did, but the FBI still hasn't said who the coach was)

13 minutes ago, GSG said:

Even if he set up the $40,000 payment to Dennis Smith Jr.'s parents?

(not saying he did, but the FBI still hasn't said who the coach was)

For some reason, I didn't think they overlapped at NC State, but yes, that would be problematic. 

• Mavric changed the title to Tyronn Lue