UNL White Nationalist

I didn't see a thread for this.  I know it was brought up in a status update a couple days ago but couldn't find it.

Here is the response from Chancellor Green posted to the UNL web page.

This week, you received a message acknowledging concerns voiced about a University of Nebraska-Lincoln student, a self-identified white nationalist, in a video posted on Monday.

I want to assure all of you that my highest priority is your safety. Our safety experts have been carefully monitoring this situation and University Police have been and continue to work closely with their partners. They will take the action needed to ensure safety on this campus — I trust their judgment, competence and professionalism to manage this situation in a manner that protects the safety of all members of our campus community.

If you do feel threatened or unsafe, please tell someone immediately — an administrator, faculty member or University Police (402-472-2222) or anonymously at http://unl.edu/TIPS. We will follow up on each and every concern shared with us.

I have heard from many of you in our community and beyond, calling for this student to be removed from campus based on concern for safety and outright disgust and rejection of the ideologies represented. Like many of you, I categorically reject the viewpoints represented in the video, which are rooted in racism and bigotry. That is my right to reject these disturbing views and it is your right to do so as well.

The student’s viewpoint — however hateful and intolerant it is — is also protected by the First Amendment. That is the law, even if we disagree. Hateful words and speech, while protected, still have human and real consequences. Many of you have shared feelings of frustration and concern. Know that I hear you, the campus leadership hears you, and we stand by and with you.

To this end, Executive Vice Chancellor Donde Plowman will host the first of a series of listening conversations for students today at 11:30 a.m. in the Great Hall of Kauffman Residential Center. If you cannot make that time, the next session will be held Friday at 11:30 a.m. in the Nebraska Union Colonial Room. I invite you to join her along with Laurie Bellows, Interim Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs; Charlie Foster, Director of the Gaughan Multicultural Center and Assistant Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs; and Joe Zach, President of ASUN and Student Regent.

Let’s stand together and demonstrate our collective strength, shared humanity and commitment to peaceful and respectful discussion and debate. That’s the university I know and love.

Ronnie D. Green, Chancellor

6 minutes ago, Fru said:

I didn't realize the first amendment protects the right to say that you'll commit acts of violence when the time is right.

Sounds like grounds for a terroristic threat charge.  

I'm sure that he's being watched very closely since the reports came out and probably even prior to it becoming known to others.  I'm guessing a couple 3 letter "agencies" are doing a pretty good check into his background and then will move forward with whatever them deem to be the right choice.  I'd be amazed if he's not being tailed in some form or fashion.

• Plus1 3

Just now, HuskerInLostWages said:

I'm sure that he's being watched very closely since the reports came out and probably even prior to it becoming known to others.  I'm guessing a couple 3 letter "agencies" are doing a pretty good check into his background and then will move forward with whatever them deem to be the right choice.  I'd be amazed if he's not being tailed in some form or fashion.

I'm sure he has a litany of acronym'd agencies keeping tabs on him. He has every right to his opinions. All of this attention he is garnering right now is feeding into his twisted desire for attention. He considers this winning. I think we as a public should leave him alone and let those whose job it is to monitor, monitor.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

but...who can trust the intel community?

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, commando said:

actually...now that i think about it....can those 3 letter agencies keep an eye on him since this administration took white supremacists off the terror watch list?

Why wouldn't they?  He used a public arena to spout his BS and made at the very least a unsubstantiated threat, he's opened himself up to scrutiny and also opened himself up to being checked out by those agencies.  At this point, it's not behind closed doors and they have every right to check into this.

As I said in the status update, this is a tough situation all around. The university's hands are bound legally despite the moral disgust we all have for this student's words and actions. Removing him could bring a whirlwind of legal battles. It's easy to say it would be "worth it" compared to the alternative but that mentality lacks scope.

They're taking it seriously and several law enforcement agencies are monitoring him. It seems like that's the best we can hope for.

As a side note, I'm shocked this kid is showing his face on campus (if he still is). I'm sure much of the campus would recognize him with disgust if they saw him in class, the union, on a sidewalk, etc.

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

As I said in the status update, this is a tough situation all around. The university's hands are bound legally despite the moral disgust we all have for this student's words and actions. Removing him could bring a whirlwind of legal battles. It's easy to say it would be "worth it" compared to the alternative but that mentality lacks scope.

They're taking it seriously and several law enforcement agencies are monitoring him. It seems like that's the best we can hope for.

As a side note, I'm shocked this kid is showing his face on campus (if he still is). I'm sure much of the campus would recognize him with disgust if they saw him in class, the union, on a sidewalk, etc.

He's proud of what he stands for and he knows if someone attacks him in the union etc, then there will be a new soapbox for him to stand on while the person or persons who attacked him go to jail(and he possibly sues the school for not keeping him safe).  It's the attention he is grabbing that keeps him going, basically he'd be a martyr for his cause if someone "proves" him right.

Just my opinion of why he's doing what you stated

Edited by HuskerInLostWages
4 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

He's proud of what he stands for and he knows if someone attacks him in the union etc, then there will be a new soapbox for him to stand on while the person or persons who attacked him go to jail(and he possibly sues the school for not keeping him safe).  It's the attention he is grabbing that keeps him going, basically he'd be a martyr for his cause if someone "proves" him right.

Just my opinion of why he's doing what you stated

Classic Westboro tactics.

• Plus1 1