Huskers Stand In Unity Against White Nationalist Speaking On UNL Campus

10 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, a high profile lawsuit for infringing on first amendment rights wouldn't help either. Once he's clearly broken the law or the student code of conduct, they'll kick him out.

Okay well while IIIIII don't necessarily disagree with you, the only way a lawsuit against a Nazi would hurt is financially, and the University has plenty of money to throw at something like that and not blink an eye. There would be no bad PR or social sentiment if a white supremacist sued UNL.

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Okay well while IIIIII don't necessarily disagree with you, the only way a lawsuit against a Nazi would hurt is financially, and the University has plenty of money to throw at something like that and not blink an eye. There would be no bad PR or social sentiment if a white supremacist sued UNL.

If it was up to me he would already be gone, but the University doesn't agree... Yet. I haven't watched all of the video on him, so apparently he hasn't crossed the line.

Edited by HS_Coach_C
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Hate speech has already been ruled as a class of protected speech under the 1st Amendment. UNL would get absolutely crushed in a lawsuit, and the court could also rule on additional protections for the white supremacist. There's better ways to oppose hate than censorship - as the basketball team is doing, we use our own free speech.

• Plus1 5

6 hours ago, husker98 said:

Related image

Gunna just leave that example here. Many, many, many more..... too many really.

The people of the Nebraska - at a great personal and financial cost - defeated the Nazis over 60 years ago. It is, after all, called Memorial Stadium; named after our native sons and daughters (of all races) who fought for OUR  country.

This one idiot undergrad has zero influence and importance. He is just an attention whore.

For the most part, the protestors are virtue signaling. They are against hate. All people are against hate. I am against hate. I am for America. I stand for the National Anthem. I am virtuous.

Again, who is not patriotic and in favor of hate?  I also am in favor of Mom and apple pie. Strawberry pie too. But only as long as the apples and strawberries are grown in Nebraska. Nebraska is my Tribe. Nothing from California. 

Let me be crystal clear on this topic. I admire Tim Miles. He is very smart. He had to get in front of this and he did so perfectly.

His players were thinking of boycotting a game. Miles needs an NCAA bid. Every win is critical. Miles avoided a player boycott.

Miles and Uncle Moose know what happened at Missouri. Football players boycotted. Football coach fired. University of Missouri melted down. Student enrollment way down. Dorms closed. Faculty and staff layoffs. Contributions down. It will take a decade to recover.

I support Tim and Bill. Two very savvy guys.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Let me be crystal clear on this topic. I admire Tim Miles. He is very smart. He had to get in front of this and he did so perfectly.

His players were thinking of boycotting a game. Miles needs an NCAA bid. Every win is critical. Miles avoided a player boycott.

Miles and Uncle Moose know what happened at Missouri. Football players boycotted. Football coach fired. University of Missouri melted down. Student enrollment way down. Dorms closed. Faculty and staff layoffs. Contributions down. It will take a decade to recover.

I support Tim and Bill. Two very savvy guys.

Right, this guy would view a boycott as a win for himself. Speak out against him, but don't let him affect anything else. I just hope they can keep winning, then this guy can't even claim he got in their heads and distracted them.

I think the university is taking an enormous risk here. Getting sued by this guy doesn't affect their reputation. If he hurts someone on campus, their reputation is hurt long term. Also, if he gets a degree, he then puts that on his applications. So then you've got this guy out there representing the university.

Edited by Moiraine