QB Position Switches

On 2/8/2018 at 8:46 PM, Nebfanatic said:

None of them have that kind of skillset exept maybe Martinez but I doubt he switches.

The QB battle should be fun this springand hopefully we can have one of our scholarship guys at 3rd string next year instead of transferring somewhere else. Best bet would probably be to RS Martinez and start POB but I don't know if POB is our best guy and Frost will put the best guy on the field. 

Something tells me that Martinez is going to start next season.  Not making a prediction, just verbalizing a hunch.

If I had to guess, I would say no QBs will switch positions.  Although, O'Brien might be able to play TE (more of a blocker than anything) just based on size.  No idea if he's strong or physical enough to actually play TE though. 

My hunch is the fall depth chart at QB will be:

#1 Martinez

#2 Gebbia

#3 Bunch

#4 O'Brien

Of all the QBs, I think O'Brien is perhaps the least suited to run Coach Frost's offense. 

Now that I've said that, watch POB emerge as the starter...:eek:

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

So POB gets put 4th on the depth chart because we're switching to an offense he ran in high school and he'll fail bigtime.

What is the fascination with Gebbia?  He hasn't played a down yet and he's a pocket passer.

Gebbia is a talented kid who gets Alot of his love on here for his spring game performance last year against a Bob Diaco D.He could very well be the starter this fall but I'm thinking POB.Like Blitz said he has experienced in this type of O.

15 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Newcombe was a GREAT QB (better than Crouch in my view) but he was a fanstatic athlete (one of the top ten ever at NU).   None of the QBs of the past decade are in the category of athlete that Newcombe was - not even in the same ballpark.  Darlington and POB and Gebbia are more comparable, although it is hard to know as we've seen almost nothing of Darlington but I will assume he is a tad better runner than either Gebbia or POB.  Gebbia and POB are better QBs, based on what little we've heard/seen, than Darlington.   

Newcombe did not like contact. Crouch took a beating all year and was very durable. To put Newcombe top ten as an athlete in all of NU's storied years is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not saying that Newcombe didn't have athleticism. He definitely was a better return man and receiver. Except of course the reverse pass Crouch caught vs the Sooners.

Edit: you did say past decade, my bad.

Edited by hskerprid

1 hour ago, man eating mastodon said:

Gebbia is a talented kid who gets Alot of his love on here for his spring game performance last year against a Bob Diaco D.He could very well be the starter this fall but I'm thinking POB.Like Blitz said he has experienced in this type of O.

Frost has stated multiple times that the key for his QB to be successful is they have to make quick, smart decisions. Gebbia was loved by the previous staff for staying late, studying the playbook and his knowledge seemed evident with his spring game performance and in fall camp. 

Not saying that any of the other QBs couldn’t do this as well but that’s why I personally put Gebbia as the favorite.

• Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, hskerprid said:

Newcombe did not like contact. Crouch took a beating all year and was very durable. To put Newcombe top ten as an athlete in all of NU's storied years is a bit of a stretch.

I'm not saying that Newcombe didn't have athleticism. He definitely was a better return man and receiver. Except of course the reverse pass Crouch caught vs the Sooners.

Edit: you did say past decade, my bad.

Osborne I recall stated he believed Bobby Newcombe might be the best athlete he ever recruited.   Crouch was a tough player and one of NU's best as well but Newcombe was better.  I recall a letter to editor by Tom Osborne in support of Newcombe being a QB.  At the time that Crouch quit the team because he was not going to win the starting QB job over Bobby and the fans were split.  Frank went to Omaha and talked Crouch into returning to the team and Crouch was awarded the job and Newcombe was moved to receiver.   Newcombe blew out a knew of course and never quite recovered despite going to Alabama as I recall to the 'best' knew Doc for his surgery.   These are my best recollection of the facts of the two players from about 20 years ago so I could be off a tad but this is the gist of the story.   I should also add that Newcombe has always been one of my favorite Huskers while Crouch was not but there is no  question both were great Huskers.  

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

So POB gets put 4th on the depth chart because we're switching to an offense he ran in high school and he'll fail bigtime.

What is the fascination with Gebbia?  He hasn't played a down yet and he's a pocket passer.

I just don't think O'Brien has the wheels to play in Frost's offense--and there is a huge difference in defenses from high school to college.  Specifically to your point about O'Brien playing in a system similar to Frost's in high school; Taylor Martinez passed for over 3,000 yards (if I recall correctly) his senior year in high school and at Nebraska he wasn't the passing QB we initially thought.  

12 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

We have people in this thread that think Gebbia will start next year over 2 players that ran this offense in high school and another person claiming our only Heisman winning QB wasn't the best QB on his own team...

Count me as one who thinks Gebbia starts.  He's just mobile enough, seems fairly accurate, but the biggest part is that he's a film junkie.  That, to me, is going to be the thing that edges him out over others.  The QB is going to have to think fast.  So, i think with the time he allegedly puts in with watching film, he'll be able to have a better feel for a game.

I'm also thinking that Crouch wasn't really the best at QB.  The Heisman race that year was really pretty damned weak, and the only reason they gave it to EC was because he caught a pass.  I wont argue that he was damned good, but it will also leave a sour taste in my mouth about how it seems like he pouted his way back into the position.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Gebbia will be the starter. POB will transfer out forcing Martinez into the backup role. 

I think in 2019 the race is opened back up and Vedral will have a very good shot at winning the job.

Vedral is following SF because he is from Nebraska and wants to coach someday - don't see his skill set being a starter in Lincoln during the next 4 years.  However, he will hopefully see some game time and will be super valuable as another face in the QB room.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Vedral is following SF because he is from Nebraska and wants to coach someday - don't see his skill set being a starter in Lincoln during the next 4 years.  However, he will hopefully see some game time and will be super valuable as another face in the QB room.

He was # 2 at CF and they had the number one offense in the country.... don't sell him short

Edited by Comish
  • Plus1 3
On 2/8/2018 at 8:38 PM, Dilly Dilly said:

3 scholarship QB's, several walkon's (but one is Vedral, presumably on scholarship next year).  Wondering if any would become a Newcombe or Darlington, rather than transfer.  Can't all be the starter and backup #1.  Someone's not going to see the field.

I could see one of em developing into a holder, sure.