QB Position Switches

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

I suggest you go back and watch senior videos of both POB and Gebbia and see if you still have the same opinion. Sure, this was when they were in high school...but, the offense that POB ran is very close to what Frost runs (zone reads, counters, sweeps) and the offense that Gebbia ran is very close to what Mike Riley ran here.

Regarding offenses, and who ran what in high school...that's not really my point.

When I saw Gebbia and O'Brien in last year's spring game, Gebbia looked quicker and more agile than O'Brien.  Granted perception, from anyone, can be easily skewed by a myriad of factors.    

Hence my thinking that from a quickness and agility standpoint, Gebbia would be a better fit than O'Brien for Frost's offense.  Not saying I'm right, saying that's my perception.

2 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

We have people in this thread that think Gebbia will start next year over 2 players that ran this offense in high school and another person claiming our only Heisman winning QB wasn't the best QB on his own team...

Just another day on Huskerboard.

3 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

We have people in this thread that think Gebbia will start next year over 2 players that ran this offense in high school and another person claiming our only Heisman winning QB wasn't the best QB on his own team...

What players ran this offense in high school? Martinez ran a similar offense but definitely not the same. Not sure who else ran anything similar. 

2 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Count me as one who thinks Gebbia starts.  He's just mobile enough, seems fairly accurate, but the biggest part is that he's a film junkie.  That, to me, is going to be the thing that edges him out over others.  The QB is going to have to think fast.  So, i think with the time he allegedly puts in with watching film, he'll be able to have a better feel for a game.

I'm also thinking that Crouch wasn't really the best at QB.  The Heisman race that year was really pretty damned weak, and the only reason they gave it to EC was because he caught a pass.  I wont argue that he was damned good, but it will also leave a sour taste in my mouth about how it seems like he pouted his way back into the position.

Bobby Newcombe wasn’t the same after his knee injury, and Crouch took over the starting QB in ‘99 because he was the better QB. Yes, Crouch didn’t handle things great in Fall camp, but he was pissed off and needed a day to cool off. I don’t know what him winning the Heisman 2 years later has anything to do with his competition with Newcombe in ‘99.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Why is this not a poll?  Sounds like there are a lot of different takes.  I don't really have more to add, but the cream should rise to the top.

Don't know which player will start and which one will be #2, but I am confident the best player will be the starter.  Of that I am convinced.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

POB ran something similar and had many a zone read on his highlight reel

I understand POB’s highlight reel, but doing it at the college level is totally different. I understand POB is “mobile” but it will be interesting to see if he is quick enough to run Frost’s offense and has the ball handling skills that Frost likes too. 

9 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I agree that Newcombe was better than Crouch until he got hurt. How awesome is it to watch a true freshman returning punts for TDs, knowing that he will be your QB next year. As far as who starts next year, my best guess would be Martinez, but I really have no idea.

49 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand POB’s highlight reel, but doing it at the college level is totally different. I understand POB is “mobile” but it will be interesting to see if he is quick enough to run Frost’s offense and has the ball handling skills that Frost likes too. 

I agree that Frost is not looking for mobile. I think Frost wants defenses to fear the QB taking off for a TD. That opens up the field for other players.

• Plus1 2

Maybe his senior highlights looked different, but actually watching him in action here, he strikes me as more of a scrambler than a true running QB.

12 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frank went to Omaha and talked Crouch into returning to the team

The beginning of the end for Solich, IMO. He never was quite able to truly take control of things. Though nowhere near as bad as Riley...

Edited by Toe

8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Newcombe was never better than Crouch, imo. He was basically Jamal Turner at the QB position. He didn't know when to start going forward. He could dance around forever but often didn't pick up yards.

Newcombe as a true freshman and sophomore was so electric. Newcombe was as good, if not better than Crouch before his knee injury. In the 98 spring game, Newcombe took an option keeper 90 yards down the sideline like he was shot out of a cannon. That guy was special before his injury.  I’m not turning this into a Crouch vs. Newcombe thing, I’m just pointing out how good Newcombe was. The only thing I would have worried about Newcombe was his durability, as he was a little slight to play QB.

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Newcombe was never better than Crouch, imo. He was basically Jamal Turner at the QB position. He didn't know when to start going forward. He could dance around forever but often didn't pick up yards.

Newcombe was much better passer than Crouch (I believe he was one of our most accurate ever) and threw a very catchable pass.  He was faster than Crouch (Crouch was very fast as well).   Crouch was a tougher runner although he was only 6' -190 and Newcombe was a similar size I believe.  Newcombe was one of those 'glide' runners, like a deer, he took the most amazing long strides and was going much faster than most players on the field realized and many took bad angles.  He was a track star as well.  

I think Crouch would have made a WR spot in the NFL had he played WR in college and learned the position to a high level.   Nobody is claiming Crouch wasnt an excellent Husker QB but I still believe he was NOT NU's best QB the year he won the Heisman.  But before Bobby blew the knee in the spring game, he had a chance to NU's best ever QB in my not so humble opinion.  He may well have been a lightning fast version of Turner Gill.  

Edited by 84HuskerLaw