QB Position Switches

9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Newcombe was much better passer than Crouch (I believe he was one of our most accurate ever) and threw a very catchable pass.  He was faster than Crouch (Crouch was very fast as well).   Crouch was a tougher runner although he was only 6' -190 and Newcombe was a similar size I believe.  Newcombe was one of those 'glide' runners, like a deer, he took the most amazing long strides and was going much faster than most players on the field realized and many took bad angles.  He was a track star as well.  

I think Crouch would have made a WR spot in the NFL had he played WR in college and learned the position to a high level.   Nobody is claiming Crouch wasnt an excellent Husker QB but I still believe he was NOT NU's best QB the year he won the Heisman.  But before Bobby blew the knee in the spring game, he had a chance to NU's best ever QB in my not so humble opinion.  He may well have been a lightning fast version of Turner Gill.  

Just nitpicking here, 84, but Newcombe wasn’t on the team in Crouch’s senior/Heisman winning season. Newcombe graduated after the 2000 season. 

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

No one ran this same offense and it isn't high school stop

Obviously it isn't exactly the same, but they ran stuff with similar QB running game demands.  What other way do we have to evaluate these players except what they did in high school?

Also, internet tough guy, you don't have to come on here like billy bad ass and tell me to "stop".  I can promise you I don't now nor will I ever care what you think.

• Plus1 3
On 2/10/2018 at 1:12 PM, Comish said:

He was # 2 at CF and they had the number one offense in the country.... don't sell him short

That is a valid point and he may take the spot - Feel like if he was available this year it may go his way.  Starting next year we will continue to add talent and he will be trying to take the spot from a 1 year starter.  Kind of feel like he will be the 2018 version of BB -  without the ending.

Edited by GBRFAN
  • Plus1 1

6 hours ago, eoltmer said:

Oh my god someone start a Newcome vs Crouch thread cause I’d like this to get back on topic.  My pick is the QB that best performs in the spring game will start.  I’ll wait till I actually have something of value to compare.

Why do people point to the Spring game as the measuring stick?  It’s just one of 15 practices. I think Frost and staff will keep the competition open into the Fall, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see 2 or 3 different starting QBs in 2018 (if they all stick around, and don’t transfer).  

• Plus1 3
On 2/10/2018 at 12:49 PM, In the Deed the Glory said:

We have people in this thread that think Gebbia will start next year over 2 players that ran this offense in high school and another person claiming our only Heisman winning QB wasn't the best QB on his own team...

It's almost as if people think that there isn't a barrier to learning the offense, even if they didn't run it in HS...

On 2/11/2018 at 1:39 PM, In the Deed the Glory said:

Obviously it isn't exactly the same, but they ran stuff with similar QB running game demands.  What other way do we have to evaluate these players except what they did in high school?

Also, internet tough guy, you don't have to come on here like billy bad ass and tell me to "stop".  I can promise you I don't now nor will I ever care what you think.

you mad bro?  I don't care what you think either.  

Gebbia will be our 2018 starter. 

Martinez will challenge him and will be #2 unless he is redshirted. I think a redshirt would be ideal but probably won’t happen. We don’t have the depth or experience to do it and he came early for a reason. 

#3 will be Vedral but he will help with plays from the sideline, coach in practice, simulate scout teams, etc. Since he has to sit out this year. 

behind them will be O’Brien, Bunch, and Masker. 

I fully expext O’Brien to transfer when he sees he’s 3rd/4th. 

Edited by girlknowsfootball
31 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Andrew Bunch... Underrated and forgotten most of the time, yet he is the only TRUE dual threat QB with experience in the roster as he walked in from Scottsdale CC last year.

Or POB if Bunch wins the starting job.

I just don't see Gebbia thriving in an offense he's never had to run in his entire life.  He's a pocket passer QB.

Frost values quick decision making above almost everything else, so being a "pocket passer" does not automatically eliminate him.

With this style of offense, a QB that runs a 4.5 does not have much advantage over a QB that runs a 4.8, especially if he can't make decisions quickly.  Yes, he wouldn't exactly be a homerun threat, but that's not what he's being asked to do.  A decisive 4.8 guy is better than an indecisive 4.5 guy.

Gebbia has shown good work ethic, so I think he has a great chance.  Also, there's obviously a reason that Andrew Bunch is a walk-on.

• Plus1 2
On 2/12/2018 at 3:42 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

Why do people point to the Spring game as the measuring stick?  It’s just one of 15 practices. I think Frost and staff will keep the competition open into the Fall, and I wouldn’t be surprised if we see 2 or 3 different starting QBs in 2018 (if they all stick around, and don’t transfer).  

The reasoning behind this is that the spring game will provide the only tangible evidence of what this offense and staffs plans are as far as QB’s are concerned.  Don’t get me wrong all the spring game is, is a glorified scrimmage with in hell of a crowd.  But it’s all we as fans have until that fateful day in fall.