Beckton Was Frost's First Big Recruit

Mavric

If there were an assistant on Scott Frost’s Nebraska staff who had the most reason to stay at UCF, it was Beckton. He graduated from UCF in 1993 after four years as a receiver. He’s in the UCF Hall of Fame and still ranks in the top 10 of most of the school’s career receiving statistics. He put in 19 years at the school as a coach, and while Frost was relatively anonymous around town, Beckton was recognized nearly everywhere he went.

Which is why he wasn’t too keen on leaving. Orlando was home.

The Nebraska coaching staff calls Beckton its first recruit. And an important one, at that. Getting him to join them in Lincoln was crucial, they say. And it took some serious convincing to get him there.

But there was one main thing that tipped Beckton’s scale toward the Huskers.

“What (Scott Frost) has done for what I call my program down at the University of Central Florida, I wanted to return the favor and come up and help him and get Nebraska back on the national scene,” Beckton said. “My big thing is, I know Coach Frost is going to continue to win. And I want to be able to be in a position to win a national championship.”

OWH

• Plus1 2

I thought this was a very cool article.  I know the puff pieces get reported en masse when new coaching staffs take over, but I think the relationships within this staff are so strong.

I wonder if there has ever been a deep study done on coaching staffs and compared staffs comprised of "all-star assistant coaches" and "guys that are all buddies".  We have seen positives and negatives from both types of staffs, and it will be nearly impossible to replicate the tenures of Osborne's staff.  I am sure some of the current staff will move on in a year or two if the team has success.