Parrella

1 minute ago, Sker fer life said:

I am a cook in a restaurant,  the other day I opened a loaf of bread from one of our vendors and there was a bit of mold on the heal. The rest of it looked just fine,  good texture, color, not stale at all. I tossed the whole loaf,  felt a little guilty about it,  there was probably some good pieces in there,  pieces that could have contributed to nice club sandwich, or double stacked grilled cheese w/bacon. In the end however it was that speck of mold that forced my hand into thinking the whole loaf was contaminated and had to get thrown out. I wanted to put out a product I felt confident with. Opening a fresh loaf gave me that confidence.

Instead of being hungry to talk huskers i'm now hungry for food. Thank you.

2 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

The husker fans mindset, "everyone on the coaching staff was horrible except parella.  Parella is a Nebraska boy and Nebraska boys are never bad."  Sorry, but parella didn't improve the dline and he was just as bad as the rest of the coaching staff.  Just because he's a Nebraska man doesn't mean he gets exempted from being an average to below average coach.

I don't think anyone is "exempting" him.  With the stories that have come out about how Riley and Diaco tied the assistant's hands (Williams, Parella, etc) and wouldn't let them do any actual coaching or teaching...I'm willing to give Parella the benefit of the doubt.  Just like I'm willing to give Deonte Williams (former DB coach) the benefit of the doubt.

• Plus1 3

Ya, from everything i heard from those in the know, Diaco basically did all the coaching and basically dint allow position coaches to really do anything. Did alot of full team defense work  with Diaco being the only voice. Iheard there was hardly any separate group work which will definitely take its toll on development. There was quite a bit of dysfunction.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, C N Red said:

Ya, from everything i heard from those in the know, Diaco basically did all the coaching and basically dint allow position coaches to really do anything. Did alot of full team defense work  with Diaco being the only voice. Iheard there was hardly any separate group work which will definitely take its toll on development. There was quite a bit of dysfunction.

By those in the know you mean Charlie 

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Spooky Tooth said:

I'll stand corrected if anyone can show me proof but don't recall anyone on this board saying that ever saying that everyone on the staff sucked except Parrella.

I don’t know if people said exactly that everyone sucked but Parella, however there were several people that wanted him to be the only coach retained. Might just be arguing over semantics at this point, I’m not sure. 

One reason I feel bad for John is I think a lot of people, fairly or unfairly, believe he was largely hired to satiate the masses and have a 'Nebraska guy' in the fold. I don't know if that played a significant role, but, I don't recall his résumé being overly strong.

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

One reason I feel bad for John is I think a lot of people, fairly or unfairly, believe he was largely hired to satiate the masses and have a 'Nebraska guy' in the fold. I don't know if that played a significant role, but, I don't recall his résumé being overly strong.

I think Parrella was qualified for the role and was one of the better recruiters on the staff.  I think he was hamstrung by the change in defense during his time at NU, and Diaco wanting to micro-manage everything. Parrella will probably never coach at NU again, but he will be fine in his future endeavors.

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Everyone was really glad when Riley brought his whole staff to Nebraska as well.  :sarcasm

I can appreciate the humor in the irony :thumbs.  But there is a huge difference between the two staffs.  One was routinely finding themselves in the bottom 50% of the PAC12, the other just came off of an undefeated season and major Bowl win.

Edited by funhusker
  • Plus1 2
16 hours ago, C N Red said:

Yeah, supposedly Diaco gave hardly any time to position drills. And Parella and D. Williams wanted a much more aggressive style of play, but Diaco wouldn't have it.

• Plus1 3

Our best unit all year on D was Dline imo. They broke down at times late in games when our offense was putting them on the field 30 seconds after they got off the field. Thought guys like Stille and Stolenberg stood out as consistently solid. Couldn't get alot of pressure but I wouldn't put all of that on the front 3

• Plus1 1

On 2/10/2018 at 6:21 PM, KingBlank said:

Williams was a buffoon and I am glad he will never set foot in this campus again.  Not an ounce of accountability shown and it was reflected by the team. Guy can go be the "best in the business" at Duke or something.  Notice how no huge programs picked him up? 

Maybe he wants to watch his son, who is a Husker, play his final year, since he is getting paid to not work and all.

9 hours ago, Enhance said:

He was a standout DT/NG for Nebraska.  He had 12 seasons in the NFL.  He was coaching DL here.  I am certain he was well-qualified for his role, light resume aside.

6 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Our best unit all year on D was Dline imo. They broke down at times late in games when our offense was putting them on the field 30 seconds after they got off the field. Thought guys like Stille and Stolenberg stood out as consistently solid. Couldn't get alot of pressure but I wouldn't put all of that on the front 3

Not only that, but certain people here have a difficult time comprehending that under Riley/Diaco, the DLs primary job was to eat blocks so LBs could make plays.  They did that by "squeezing" the pocket and keeping the QB contained within said pocket.  If they got pressure as a by-product of sqeezing and containing, then bonus but "getting pressure' wasn't their job in Diaco's scheme.

• Plus1 4

^ Yeah, last spring & summer people kept bringing up that high grade for sacks/pressures/etc that PFF gave Freedom, and I kept saying don't expect him to put up anywhere near those numbers in a 3-4, that's just not how the system works. Being a D-lineman in a 3-4 scheme is a bit of an unglamorous job because you don't get to be the playmaker very often.