Talent Vs. Developement

The thing is, recruiting rankings (as far as I can tell) mainly project a players NFL prospects.  Now that is merely a guess and I could be wrong.

It also depends on what positions we're talking about.  For "skill" positions: QB, RB, WR, CB, and S/FS...it is mostly about talent.  Yes there is development, but that basically gets the kid bigger and stronger.

For other positions: TE, OL, DT, DE, LB...development is more important than "talent" or star ranking.  Note: I am not saying talent isn't important, or Nebraska should recruit kids with minimal to no talent...it's just not as pressing as the other positions I listed above.

For example, along the OL, you can recruit a bunch of walk-ons and coach/develop them into a great unit.  Conversely, RBs either see that backside hole or they don't.  Maybe not a perfect analogy, but good enough for what I am talking about. 

7 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The thing is, recruiting rankings (as far as I can tell) mainly project a players NFL prospects.  Now that is merely a guess and I could be wrong.

Not so much.  There would barely be any five-star and high-four-star dual threat QBs if this were the case.  It's how they are projected to fit in college.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

17 hours ago, Snowbird said:

Clemson’s class with Watson was ranked 16th in the country? I believe It comes down to coaching with good recruiting. 

• 2017: Alabama Crimson Tide (1, 1, 1, 1)
  • 2016: Clemson Tigers (11, 9, 16, 15)
  • 2015: Alabama Crimson Tide (1, 1, 1, 1)
  • 2014: Ohio State Buckeyes (3, 2, 5, 6)
  • 2013: Florida State Seminoles (11, 4, 2, 8)
  • 2012: Alabama Crimson Tide (1, 1, 4, 3)
  • 2011: Alabama Crimson Tide (1, 4, 3, 3)
  • 2010: Auburn Tigers (6, 23, 21, 9)
  • 2009: Alabama Crimson Tide (3, 3, 12, 13)
  • 2008: Florida Gators (5, 1, 2, 12)
  • Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Odd how every national champion the last decade has at least one top 10 class and the majority have multiple...

And the one sort-of outlier had a transcendental QB to push those two classes in the 20s over the hump. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

And the one sort-of outlier had a transcendental QB to push those two classes in the 20s over the hump. 

Oh an elite dual threat QB who is deadly with his legs and arm can make up for a lot. The simple truth is we need to work our way up to consistent top 15 classes...Dabo built it up over time and became better and better. We need to over perform with our low teens low 20's classes and work our way up the ranks year over year. 

I think we will accomplish this over time but we need to get some elite talent. They current elite coaches have elite talent. Having good talent and elite coaching won't beat elite talent and elite coaching. 

The formula to win at Nebraska is not recruiting top 10 recruiting classes. It wasn’t when Osborne was here and it won’t be when Frost is here. He will get great recruiting classes and add 20 walk ons a year. In 5 walk on classes you hope to get 2/3 kids who become studs for you, that helps your recruiting class each year. Once they establish themselves maybe they will routinely recruit in the top 10 but I don’t see it happening for some time. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Snowbird said:

The formula to win at Nebraska is not recruiting top 10 recruiting classes. It wasn’t when Osborne was here and it won’t be when Frost is here. He will get great recruiting classes and add 20 walk ons a year. In 5 walk on classes you hope to get 2/3 kids who become studs for you, that helps your recruiting class each year. Once they establish themselves maybe they will routinely recruit in the top 10 but I don’t see it happening for some time. 

Max Emfinger and Tom Lemming were the two main recruiting gurus back in the 90s. Their rankings can be difficult to find, but here's the provided info I could find about how they ranked the recruiting classes that Coach Osborne had during his most successful years. 

1992: E - 5th, L - 10th

1993: No records

1994: E - 6th

1995: E - 3rd, L - 5th

1996: E - 9th, L - 10th

So, Hedley's hypothesis about needing to recruit in the top 10 holds water; 3 of those classes set up National Titles. 

It’s obviously everyone’s belief that Frost is going to develop players more thoroughly. He will also create much more depth via the walk on program.

My belief is that will help us out a ton. The key beyond that for competing for Natty’s will be that we get our recruiting classes into the teens for rankings.

If we are unable to do that, I think Frost will only be able to get us slightly above where Pelini had us. Which means challenging for B1G Titles, just likely overmatched by the Penn states and Ohio’s states due to talent.

7 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Max Emfinger and Tom Lemming were the two main recruiting gurus back in the 90s. Their rankings can be difficult to find, but here's the provided info I could find about how they ranked the recruiting classes that Coach Osborne had during his most successful years. 

1992: E - 5th, L - 10th

1993: No records

1994: E - 6th

1995: E - 3rd, L - 5th

1996: E - 9th, L - 10th

So, Hedley's hypothesis about needing to recruit in the top 10 holds water; 3 of those classes set up National Titles. 

Yeah the great myth that the 90s National Championship teams were built on the backs of walk-ons and lowly regarded recruits. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah the great myth that the 90s National Championship teams were built on the backs of walk-one and lowly regarded recruits. 

Tommie Frazier and Lawrence Phillips were spotted by an assistant coach while tossing bales of hay on a remote farm somewhere, and the rest is history. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Snowbird said:

The formula is modern college football dating back as far you as you can with recruiting rankings tells a very different story than you are telling.....this includes TO.