Seriously???? Some people just need to grow up

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Admittedly, I didn't read the article, but is this anything other than just plain bad luck?

They sold everything they had because "they were tired of working" and bought a sail boat.  They lived on the boat for a while to build up supplies so they could sail to the Caribbean.  Two days into their trip, the boat sank because they didn't know how to...you know....actually sail a boat.

BUT....they aren't giving up on their dreams just yet, they have started a go-fund-me account so that everyone who isn't "tired of working" can send them money to fix their boat and replace their belongings.

THANK GOD!!!!  As their boat was sinking, they had the wherewithal to make sure to grab their little pugs favorite toys.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Admittedly, I didn't read the article, but is this anything other than just plain bad luck?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/10/couple-sells-everything-sailboat-sinks/326152002/

Here's another article on this from USA Today.  It has a local news video embedded.  They interviewed a local captain and he said that even experienced captains have hit sand bars in that location, because storms can shift the channel.  So I'd say bad luck played a part.  OTOH, without experience, I'd guess that it's just a matter of time before something bad was going to happen.

It's not a lot different than people selling it all and going backpacking, except sailing requires more skill, I guess. 

Seems like they had a dream, had no idea how to do it, but went for it.  That's quite a bit of dumbassery to bet your whole life like that, but they could always return to their old lives, I guess.

The crowdfunding thing is "meh."  If their friends/family want to bankroll them then whatever. But they'll be back to reality soon enough, I'm guessing.