SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

From @Palmerism: #DearAndy Which upcoming goal is most important for Scott Frost at Nebraska: 1) Measurable improvement 2) Return to competitiveness 3) Bowl game appearance 4) Return to Top 25 team?

If Frost can achieve No. 1, he’ll definitely achieve Nos. 2 and 3 and probably will achieve No. 4. Unlike the question above, these aren’t unreasonable expectations.

Nebraska should be able to do what Wisconsin has done in recent years. That isn’t asking the impossible. It might not happen immediately, but given how quickly Frost turned the corner at UCF and given the quality of the Big Ten West relative to some other divisions in college football, it’s quite possible Nebraska can reach this level in two seasons. Given the buzz in the coaching community about Nebraska quarterback signee Adrian Martinez from Fresno, Calif., it’s possible Frost is already well on his way.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/02/08/mailbag-signing-day-rankings-notre-dame-nebraska

• Plus1 1

Sort of an oddly phrased question but Staples answers it decently well. This is stuff we've been saying around here for a long time. My opinion: Frost's most important immediate goal is a return to competitiveness. You can lose 4, 5, 6, etc., games next season and it'll be acceptable if the team is playing with toughness and maximum effort. It was pretty clear that toughness and effort were questionable in the 2017 season.

• Plus1 4

19 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

First year 6 wins is reasonable.  Anything more, great, but not to be expected.

Here we go with the first year 10 win or bust guys....

Second year different story.

It's pretty damn depressing that people think the bolded is true.  It's not, nor should it ever be.

• Plus1 5

Frost once described his first year at UCF as "installing system and culture" and saying "we still had a couple pieces missing".  I assumed he meant players, at the time.  Recently he had a similar quote about Nebraska, saying there were a few pieces missing.  This time I got the feeling he was talking about more abstract "pieces" like S&C, toughness, buy-in, etc.

I don't think the roster is going to be a problem for HCSF.  He can install the offense a lot faster than some coaches.  The culture is the part that will take a couple seasons IMO.  Not to say that there is a broken culture, or broken lockerroom, or anything.  Just that it takes time for everyone to get on the same page.  The only thing we will know for sure about year one, is that year two will be better IMO.

• Plus1 2

59 minutes ago, mnhusker said:

Top 25 is a good place to start, I think its a reasonable year one goal but for sure year two.  In the long run top 15 or better is the place the Huskers need to live.  

I remember a time back in the 80's when if we dropped out of the top 5 we were greatly disappointed.

8 wins is reasonable but only IF we can find a way to transform the O line into something useable.   The rest of the team can accomplish 8 wins in my view.  Beyond 8 is really reaching for the stars based on the last couple year's results.  I know we reeled off a bunch of wins to start 2016 but then the balloon burst.   
The players are going to need to work like heck every day and gain vast amounts of confidence and we need a couple QBs to make it through the season.  Do we have 2 QBs that can run his system with a shaky O line?   ?????  That will be the key.  The defense and special teams will have to help make up for the lack of consistency and exceptional play by an offense still in the learning phase.   Year three is when I would expect us to compete for the Big Ten title and a top ten ranking.