SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

2 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

He can install the offense a lot faster than some coaches.  The culture is the part that will take a couple seasons IMO.  Not to say that there is a broken culture, or broken lockerroom, or anything.  Just that it takes time for everyone to get on the same page.  The only thing we will know for sure about year one, is that year two will be better IMO.

I love this recruiting class for several reasons, but none moreso than it contains the pieces necessary to install their schemes in all 3 phases. They got bigger, more physical dbs. They got faster, more aggressive backers and edge rushers. They got a toolbox for the offense. Place kicker and returners. I believe their are even some long snappers amongst the walk-ones. So many times we see a new staff have to make due, especially on offense, and especially at QB. Frost and staff took care of that in the first hour. It's a real benefit because not only will it be easier on the players to learn the whole thing, but by knowing what they have it should make year 2 recruiting that much more targeted and efficient. 

The culture issue...at the end of the day it's less about coaches to players and more about players to players. Again, this recruiting class may jumpstart that. The two players I wanted the most were Martinez and Honas, because in their own ways, they are natural leaders. Martinez is a mature, vocal type. I would be surprised if he's not starting day one because he feels like a starting QB, just has that presence. Honas doesn't say anything, but he chews up barbells. He's a trend setter in the weight room and on the field. 

• Plus1 4

I would like to know more about the last sentence.  Would be interesting to see what the coaching community has/had to say about Martinez.   We have heard what Frost said about him being the #1 QB in the nation in his eyes but I would like to hear what other coaches think. 

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'd be surprised if Nebraska doesn't win the West by year 2.

Me too. These schemes are really going to attack Wisconsin's weaknesses on both sides. The rest of the division should fall in line. I'm interested in what a team like Purdue may accomplish, but if Frost can just maintain the momentum currently generated, they just won't be able to get the horses to hang with us.

4 hours ago, Redux said:

It's pretty damn depressing that people think the bolded is true.  It's not, nor should it ever be.

This might sound depressing ... agreed.  I believe that :bigredn: has lost her way.  It will take more time to clear out the foundational issues in the program.  For me, 6-6 is realistic, especially given the more difficult schedule.  No one believe that standard of 6-6 is the goal or ever should be the goal.   It's far better for the program, for Husker fans, for recruiting and overall perception in this transition if we set realistic goals and then meet and/or surpass them.   It is apparent that Scott & Company are the right folks.  It's all good here for me.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

This might sound depressing ... agreed.  I believe that :bigredn: has lost her way.  It will take more time to clear out the foundational issues in the program.  For me, 6-6 is realistic, especially given the more difficult schedule.  No one believe that standard of 6-6 is the goal or ever should be the goal.   It's far better for the program, for Husker fans, for recruiting and overall perception in this transition if we set realistic goals and then meet and/or surpass them.   It is apparent that Scott & Company are the right folks.  It's all good here for me.

Even with the transition year, and the brutal schedule, there is no reason we can't win 7 or 8 or more if things go right.  6-6 is only accepted as acceptable because in the last 3 years we have won exactly 19 games.  6-6 used to be too crappy to make a bowl game.

The return to competitiveness worries me a bit. Even really good teams get blown out occasionally. I feel that is just the nature of college football these days. When things tilt against you, sometimes they tilt hard. 

So while i agree, I worry that some will feel like we aren’t competitive if we get blown out a couple games. 

I feel eel like being competitive in most games might be good enough for now. 

• Plus1 1

I have been drunk on the kool-aid as of late and I have my reasons. I think SF is working with much more talent than he ever had at UCF. He has a lot to work with (even some all-americans). The most important part is the buy in. The current players on the roster want to play for him. They want to win. Some of the offensive guys were very excited when Moos told them Scott was coming. They can now envision themselves winning a championship, and know they will be given the right formula to get there. That enthusiasm will work wonders, and we will finally see the talent come out. 

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I have been drunk on the kool-aid as of late and I have my reasons. I think SF is working with much more talent than he ever had at UCF. He has a lot to work with (even some all-americans). The most important part is the buy in. The current players on the roster want to play for him. They want to win. Some of the offensive guys were very excited when Moos told them Scott was coming. They can now envision themselves winning a championship, and know they will be given the right formula to get there. That enthusiasm will work wonders, and we will finally see the talent come out. 

Besides buy in, the conditioning is also very important. Have to change the body type to go with the will to play hard. Based on early reports, I think strides will be made, but the team is a fair bit away from where the staff would like.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Besides buy in, the conditioning is also very important. Have to change the body type to go with the will to play hard. Based on early reports, I think strides will be made, but the team is a fair bit away from where the staff would like.

Yes and if they buy in, conditioning will come. 

1 minute ago, Vince R. said:

Yes and if they buy in, conditioning will come. 

Agreed, but I think between that and getting everyone to fully indoctrinate to the schemes, I think 8-9 wins seems to make sense for year 1. Maybe 10 if they get acclimated sooner. The 6-6 talk seems silly and defeatist to me, but I also think years 2-3 is when SF gets this team consistently challenging for B1G titles.

3 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Agreed, but I think between that and getting everyone to fully indoctrinate to the schemes, I think 8-9 wins seems to make sense for year 1. Maybe 10 if they get acclimated sooner. The 6-6 talk seems silly and defeatist to me, but I also think years 2-3 is when SF gets this team consistently challenging for B1G titles.

I totally agree. I feel like we are going to see a real good week to week progression also. 

Edited by Vince R.