SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

5 hours ago, Redux said:

It's pretty damn depressing that people think the bolded is true.  It's not, nor should it ever be.

This the most relevant and correct statement in this entire thread.  6 wins next year is not the expectation.  As is wasn't under Frank, Bill, Bo, or Mike.  Never will it be the expectation nor be thought of as Ok.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Redux said:

It's pretty damn depressing that people think the bolded is true.  It's not, nor should it ever be.

It is depressing but we've already talked about this.  Remember all those weeks we spent on the Scott Frost Megathread?  We were saying things like:

>I just want us to be competitive again!

>I just want to see our players in good physical shape again.

>Even if we only win 6 games the first year it's ok because we know it can only get better.

This coaching staff is starting from basically the basement.  The kids aren't in the best physical shape, they are now going to run a new offense, the are going to have to get used to an entirely  (but very cool) new coaching staff.  We have to support them where they are.  They WILL get better but we have to be patient. 

Everyone would love to win 8 games this first season but if it doesn't happen we know that all is not lost.  Let's stay true to the pledge we made to support this team.  GBR!!!

• Plus1 2

Realistic has never described a Nebraska fan.  Doubt it ever will.

Play hard, do your best is all I ever ask.  I seriously doubt Nebraska could have played with UCF this year.  It took two years, starting with a team that played in a  BCS bowl two years before.  Nebraska has not been near a major bowl in a long long time.

For me, just being happy we are on a path that I think is recovery.  Coach Frost has proven he can take what is considered lessor talent and make them winners.  I would love to see 10 wins next year, possible I think, but if we are in every game, don't get curb stomped by Wisconsin, or Ohio State we will have made dramatic improvement.

• Plus1 3

38 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

What was devaneys record his first year? 

9-2 his first year, but even Devaney went 6-4 in both year 6 and 7.

20 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

6-6 is acceptable whether anyone admits it or not. People would still be excited for 2019 and expecting big things to come, as long as our losses weren't awful.

I don't think we'll go 6-6 though.

Correct. For those that don't think 6-6 is acceptable, what do you propose we do if the Huskers go 6-6?

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Redux said:

Even with the transition year, and the brutal schedule, there is no reason we can't win 7 or 8 or more if things go right.  6-6 is only accepted as acceptable because in the last 3 years we have won exactly 19 games.  6-6 used to be too crappy to make a bowl game.

You are exactly the delusional fan that Colin Cowherd talks about.  And God bess you.  Your attitude is what the players and coaches must have.  Yet as an objective observer, yes 8-10 wins is an unreasonable expectation.  

It takes time for a staff to get to know the players, vice versa.  It takes time to build trust and understanding.  It takes time to fully implement new systems.  

Meanwhile your competition is merely fine tuning, while you are building from the ground up.  It places you at a real disadvantage.  

Our schedule is brutal as well.  

We have no developed dual threat quarterback like what the new system requires.

We will have a totally new defense scheme, third in three years.

Our coach said of our O line "we need to change their bodies".  That doesn't sound like 10 wins to me.

But God bless ya, and I will be routing right along side for those 10 wins.  But maybe just a little less disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Year 2 though...I am looking for 9 at least.  I feel that this staff is the real deal, and by golly it better start rockin.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, KingBlank said:

This the most relevant and correct statement in this entire thread.  6 wins next year is not the expectation.  As is wasn't under Frank, Bill, Bo, or Mike.  Never will it be the expectation nor be thought of as Ok.

You used the wrong word.  I did not say "expectation". I said what is "realistic" for the first year with all the changes and the schedule.

8-4 sounds dreamy.  That just isn't realistic, in my opinion.  It is certainty the staff wants to accomplish.  

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

You used the wrong word.  I did not say "expectation". I said what is "realistic" for the first year with all the changes and the schedule.

8-4 sounds dreamy.  That just isn't realistic, in my opinion.  It is certainty the staff wants to accomplish.  

I will tell you right now 8-4 in year one is no where near what this staff wants to or aims to accomplish in year 1.

25 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

I will tell you right now 8-4 in year one is no where near what this staff wants to or aims to accomplish in year 1.

Assuming you're speaking of records only:

Almost no one "aims" for something like that, but I'm betting 8-4 is in a range of realistic records in Frost's mind (if he thinks in those terms). Frost said himself we would lose games. And hearing 8-4 is "nowhere near" what they aim to accomplish is just ludicrous. They would have to aim to go 11-1 or 12-0 to be "nowhere near" 8-4. So you're basically saying their aim in season 1 is to get to the playoffs. I'm sure they'll try their hardest to win every game but getting to the playoffs this season is probably not going to be something they talk to the players about.

You can have a national championship as an aim every season. That doesn't mean you realistically think you'll go undefeated every season, even as the coach.
You can have a conference championship as an aim every season. That doesn't mean you realistically think you'll win the conference every season (until you start setting a precedent of doing so consistently).

You're confusing Osborne era based expectations (in season 1, even) with reality. The reality, as Frost has stated many times, is there is a lot of work to do. He's also said the goal is to get better every day. I don't think he's mentioned winning any championships in season 1, and I doubt he will to the players either.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 2
On 2/12/2018 at 9:53 PM, Moiraine said:

6-6 is acceptable whether anyone admits it or not. People would still be excited for 2019 and expecting big things to come, as long as our losses weren't awful.

I don't think we'll go 6-6 though.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:41 PM, dvdcrr said:

You are exactly the delusional fan that Colin Cowherd talks about.  And God bess you.  Your attitude is what the players and coaches must have.  Yet as an objective observer, yes 8-10 wins is an unreasonable expectation.  

It takes time for a staff to get to know the players, vice versa.  It takes time to build trust and understanding.  It takes time to fully implement new systems.  

Meanwhile your competition is merely fine tuning, while you are building from the ground up.  It places you at a real disadvantage.  

Our schedule is brutal as well.  

We have no developed dual threat quarterback like what the new system requires.

We will have a totally new defense scheme, third in three years.

Our coach said of our O line "we need to change their bodies".  That doesn't sound like 10 wins to me.

But God bless ya, and I will be routing right along side for those 10 wins.  But maybe just a little less disappointed when it doesn't happen.

Year 2 though...I am looking for 9 at least.  I feel that this staff is the real deal, and by golly it better start rockin.  

.500 is not acceptable

That absolutely does not mean we should be pissed and angry if we go 6-6, nor does it mean Frost sucks etc.

I can't believe it only took 3 years of Riley's career .500 mind set to not only lower our teams determination, but apparantely lower our fanbases expectations THAT much.  When Bo was brough in the expectations were pretty high and he even took a losing team and won 9 with a brutal schedule.  Riley's expectations were to come in and keep the 9 win machine moving.

After his disaster 4-8 year, we will be happy with 6-6?  That's unbelievable to me.  I'll be disappointed as hell if we finish .500 and I'm bettimg coach will be way more upset about it than any of us.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 2
8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Correct. For those that don't think 6-6 is acceptable, what do you propose we do if the Huskers go 6-6?

What do we do?  What CAN we do as fans regardless of seasonal outcome?  As fans it's pur job to support and show up and be loud.   That's it.

6-6 is not the expectation or goal.  I guaranfreakingtee Frost did not come in and introduce himself "Hi, I'm your new coach Scott Frost.  Let's turn this 4-8 team back into a .500 squad in year 1!"

We go .500, so be it.  I think that the s#!t season we all just endured  has messed with a lot of posters heads.  There are way more than 6 teams Nebraska is capable of beating.

• Plus1 1