SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

1 hour ago, Redux said:

.500 is not acceptable

That absolutely does not mean we shoul be pissed and angry if we go 6-6, nor does it mean Frost sucks etc.

That's the definition of "acceptable" in this context. Something people wouldn't be pissed and angry about. Something that wouldn't make us question Frost's hiring or put him on the hot seat or call for his firing.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Redux said:

We got the biggest hire in the country and people are talking about 6-6 being an acceptable goal.  That's the definition of apathy.

It's far too early (and silly) to suggest apathy has set in. This fan base hasn't been this excited or pumped for the future since 2008 and, right now, the excitement level already dwarfs 2008.

Most fans are expecting the program to be the west division winner in the next 2-3 years, but, Frost and Co. have a lot of cultural, S&C and personnel issues to work through. Making a bowl game and being a competitive team again should be considered a big win.

• Plus1 3

36 minutes ago, Redux said:

If Frost goes 0-12 I won't want him fired.  There's a difference between acceptable and majorly disappointed.

We got the biggest hire in the country and people are talking about 6-6 being an acceptable goal.  That's the definition of apathy.

No one at all said it's an "acceptable goal." Literally no one has said 6-6 is a goal at all.

12 hours ago, Redux said:

Even with the transition year, and the brutal schedule, there is no reason we can't win 7 or 8 or more if things go right.  6-6 is only accepted as acceptable because in the last 3 years we have won exactly 19 games.  6-6 used to be too crappy to make a bowl game.

I'll have to disagree.  A coach can't change the culture in one year!  All of our games (with the exception of fighting illini) will be tough games.  We will have a new qb and everyone will have to learn a new system.  Expecting a 7+ win season, with all the variables involved, is nieve and unrealistic.  That's putting way too much pressure on Scott Frost and company.  It takes more than 6 months to change a culture and to fully grasp the system.

Being thrilled about the resurgence of Husker Football under Frost and tempering expectations are not mutually exclusive.  For example, let's say Nebraska Football is a person. This person was in the best shape of their lives in 1997; elite shape, few people have ever reached. Since 1997, they have slowly gained more and more weight. To the point they are now obese, slow and below their average peers. Well they went out and hired the best personal trainer money can buy. Can we be excited about the potential of this change, but not also expect them to be back in shape in 12 months? 

12 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I have been drunk on the kool-aid as of late and I have my reasons. I think SF is working with much more talent than he ever had at UCF. He has a lot to work with (even some all-americans). The most important part is the buy in. The current players on the roster want to play for him. They want to win. Some of the offensive guys were very excited when Moos told them Scott was coming. They can now envision themselves winning a championship, and know they will be given the right formula to get there. That enthusiasm will work wonders, and we will finally see the talent come out. 

Scott frost is a great coach but UCF usually has the most talent in their conference while Nebraska does not.  UCF is known to be a football school, has 5 conference championships since 2007, and finished #10 in 2013.  They usually are one of the most talented teams in their conference.  Frost will be a great coach but expecting a 8 or 9 win season his first year, with this schedule, will be extremely tough.

12 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Agreed, but I think between that and getting everyone to fully indoctrinate to the schemes, I think 8-9 wins seems to make sense for year 1. Maybe 10 if they get acclimated sooner. The 6-6 talk seems silly and defeatist to me, but I also think years 2-3 is when SF gets this team consistently challenging for B1G titles.

The reason why we are thinking 6-6 Is because of the schedule.  The only "gimme" game is illini and everyone else is solid.  Also, it takes time to "transform" your body and to fully grasp the playbook.  You're expecting everyone to full transform their body and to fully know the playbook by August.  I don't think that will happen.  I do agree with us competing for B1G titles in 3 to 4 years tho.

2 hours ago, Redux said:

.500 is not acceptable

That absolutely does not mean we shoul be pissed and angry if we go 6-6, nor does it mean Frost sucks etc.

I can't believe it only took 3 years of Riley's career .500 mind set to not only lower our teams determination, but apparantely lower our fanbases expectations THAT much.  When Bo was brough in the expectations were pretty high and he even took a losing team and won 9 with a brutal schedule.  Riley's expectations were to come in and keep the 9 win machine moving.

After his disaster 4-8 year, we will be happy with 6-6?  That's unbelievable to me.  I'll be disappointed as hell if we finish .500 and I'm bettimg coach will be way more upset about it than any of us.

6-6 is acceptable for us THIS year.  We don't have our rose colored Nebraska homer glasses on nor are we drinking a huge pitcher of the kool aid.  There are some of us who are looking at this year through an unbiased prospective.  You're expecting:

1.  The oline to transform their bodies in 5 months (are you supplying them with steroids?)

2. To have the players full grasp the new system that's a lot different to what they were running.

3.  To have the defensive players to fully grasp the new defensive scheme 

4. To not have a problem with one of the toughest schedules in recent memory.

5.  To change the culture in 6 months.

C'mon now.