SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

2 hours ago, Redux said:

What do we do?  What CAN we do as fans regardless of seasonal outcome?  As fans it's pur job to support and show up and be loud.   That's it.

6-6 is not the expectation or goal.  I guaranfreakingtee Frost did not come in and introduce himself "Hi, I'm your new coach Scott Frost.  Let's turn this 4-8 team back into a .500 squad in year 1!"

We go .500, so be it.  I think that the s#!t season we all just endured  has messed with a lot of posters heads.  There are way more than 6 teams Nebraska is capable of beating.

Your confusing team goals and fan expectations.  The goal for SF and Nebraska is to win them all and to get better and build momentum throughout the year.  The goal is not to go 6-6 even though that could be the outcome.  As a fan my expectations are realistic I think because I look at what they have to build as a team and who they have to play.  

Wisconsin is basically going to be the exact same team in 2018 that it was in 2017, they are going to be very good and we play them in Madison.  Not saying Nebraska can't win or won't win, but I am going to favor Wisconsin in this game right now.  

Ohio St. will be a little different than last year without Barrett,  but still a top 5 team talent wise and should be very good and we play them in Columbus.  Not saying Nebraska can't win or won't win, but I again favor OSU greatly in this game.  

Michigan will have a very good defense and may solve their offensive problems they will be a very solid team and the game is on the road.  I would favor Michigan in this game right now though it should be a close game.  I like NU's chances in this game better than in the OSU or Whiskey games.  

MSU returns like 18 starters and was pretty good last year.  With all the turmoil at MSU they may have problems, but Dantonio is very good at playing the us against the world card.  This game is at home but I am going to favor Michigan St. in this game.  

Iowa should be better and is on the road.  Purdue should be better.  NW I think takes a step back.  Minnesota should be better.  

Nebraska should be better, are they going to be that much better that they win 10 games, I don't think so.  I think they can go 8-4 and would be really happy with that outcome.  

I guess my point is that I love SF as a coach and think he is the best thing to happen to Nebraska football in a long time.  I think he is going to have Nebraska back playing on the national stage quickly, but I don't think it is a 1 year turn around and I am not going to expect a 1 year turn around.   

3 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Your confusing team goals and fan expectations.  The goal for SF and Nebraska is to win them all and to get better and build momentum throughout the year.  The goal is not to go 6-6 even though that could be the outcome.  As a fan my expectations are realistic I think because I look at what they have to build as a team and who they have to play.  

Wisconsin is basically going to be the exact same team in 2018 that it was in 2017, they are going to be very good and we play them in Madison.  Not saying Nebraska can't win or won't win, but I am going to favor Wisconsin in this game right now.  

Ohio St. will be a little different than last year without Barrett,  but still a top 5 team talent wise and should be very good and we play them in Columbus.  Not saying Nebraska can't win or won't win, but I again favor OSU greatly in this game.  

Michigan will have a very good defense and may solve their offensive problems they will be a very solid team and the game is on the road.  I would favor Michigan in this game right now though it should be a close game.  I like NU's chances in this game better than in the OSU or Whiskey games.  

MSU returns like 18 starters and was pretty good last year.  With all the turmoil at MSU they may have problems, but Dantonio is very good at playing the us against the world card.  This game is at home but I am going to favor Michigan St. in this game.  

Iowa should be better and is on the road.  Purdue should be better.  NW I think takes a step back.  Minnesota should be better.  

Nebraska should be better, are they going to be that much better that they win 10 games, I don't think so.  I think they can go 8-4 and would be really happy with that outcome.  

I guess my point is that I love SF as a coach and think he is the best thing to happen to Nebraska football in a long time.  I think he is going to have Nebraska back playing on the national stage quickly, but I don't think it is a 1 year turn around and I am not going to expect a 1 year turn around.   

You forgot about troy, who beat lsu last year and Akron, the MAC champs.  We SHOULD win those games but those aren't exactly gimmes imo.  Especially since we will still be learning the schemes.

5 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Frost will be a great coach but youre already saying he's better than Saban? Jesus, I see why Cowherd says what he does about our fanbase 

Sorry, I didn't realize the grammar police were out in full force today.

We hired the best "available" coach in the country.  Or were they wrong to call him coach of the year?

Edited by Redux
47 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

I'll have to disagree.  A coach can't change the culture in one year!  All of our games (with the exception of fighting illini) will be tough games.  We will have a new qb and everyone will have to learn a new system.  Expecting a 7+ win season, with all the variables involved, is nieve and unrealistic.  That's putting way too much pressure on Scott Frost and company.  It takes more than 6 months to change a culture and to fully grasp the system.

The Bo Pelini tenure disagrees

Expecting 7 wins or more is putting too much pressure on Frost.  Gimme a friggin break.  We fired the guy who was striving for 7 wins, that's kinda my whole friggin point.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I think some people are just using the English language differently than others.

That's by choice.

Fans saying 6-6 is reasonable is completely apathetic due to the last staff vompletely lowering our expectations.  If you or anyonr else disagree with me that's just fine, all be it inaccurate.

10 hours ago, KingBlank said:

I will tell you right now 8-4 in year one is no where near what this staff wants to or aims to accomplish in year 1.

Hmmm ... what an amazing concept.  Reeeeaaaaallly!  Of course, this isn't a new revelation at all.  I was alive during all those championship years and at the games.  Trust me I get it.  You don't need to educate me on the goal of what this staff wants to accomplish.   Just adding a bit of realism to the board.  Setting high and lofting goals by the staff is all good and necessary.  For the FANS to put out what they think should be achieved ... MEOW!  Frost is the right guy ... let him put in the work ... rebuild the program from the ground up ... and restore the order.  I believe everyone will like the product ... both in what is displayed on the field in year one ... AND THE RESULTS over the life of his tenure.

Curious to ask if you were bantering for Frost 3 years on this board like I was?   Oh wait ... you weren't here.   Ya ... a bit of sarcasm.  

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Redux said:

The Bo Pelini tenure disagrees

Expecting 7 wins or more is putting too much pressure on Frost.  Gimme a friggin break.  We fired the guy who was striving for 7 wins, that's kinda my whole friggin point.

Nebraska made a big 12 championship several years before bo arrived.  Frost is inheriting a program that went 4-6 in 2 of the last three years.  You're comparing apples and oranges.  

1 minute ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Nebraska made a big 12 championship several years before bo arrived.  Frost is inheriting a program that went 4-6 in 2 of the last three years.  You're comparing apples and oranges.  

Bo inherited a 5-7 team and went 9-4

Scott is inheriting a 4-8 team and everyone seems to think 6-6 would be a massive improvement

It's not.  We will be winning more than 6 games this year.

• Plus1 5

For the first time in 16 years, the entire program is turning in the right direction. We have a chancellor & president combo that actually seems to care about the sports program, and an AD that 1.) isn't an egomaniac, or 2.) actively trying to sandbag people in his department.

Personally, I think 6-6 is a worst case scenario this season.

• Plus1 3

i.e. 6-6 would be acceptable.

Just now, Saunders said:

For the first time in 16 years, the entire program is turning in the right direction. We have a chancellor & president combo that actually seems to care about the sports program, and an AD that 1.) isn't an egomaniac, or 2.) actively trying to sandbag people in his department.

Personally, I think 6-6 is a worst case scenario this season.

I agree.

Edited by Moiraine