SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

Just now, Saunders said:

For the first time in 16 years, the entire program is turning in the right direction. We have a chancellor & president combo that actually seems to care about the sports program, and an AD that 1.) isn't an egomaniac, or 2.) actively trying to sandbag people in his department.

Personally, I think 6-6 is a worst case scenario this season.

This guy gets it

1 hour ago, Redux said:

We hired the best coach in the country and are talking about 6-6 being a realistic expectation.

That's literally the best example of apathy I can think of.

It's just one way of interpreting it. You're operating under the impression that hiring the best coach available coaching candidate in the country last year should immediately help Nebraska overcome several years of disappointing football and cultural issues. I think that viewpoint is somewhat impractical.

Furthermore, my expectations for Nebraska remain unchanged. They should be competing for (and occasionally winning) conference titles. That does not mean I can't evaluate all of the variables in a given season and believe that a .500 record and bowl bid may be a worthy accomplishment in this first year.

I mean, Hell man, we just went 4-8 and have spent years with a not-so-good football team. I'm willing to sit back and just let this ride play out. It might happen right away and it may not.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Redux said:

This guy gets it

Like I said, this whole conversation is about people using English differently than others, as people are wont to do. I agreed with his post too. 6-6 is worst case scenario.

Some people think "acceptable" and "goal" and "expectation" all mean the same thing, as evidenced by you saying "everyone seems to think 6-6 would be a massive improvement." In my opinion, no one in this entire topic is saying that or implying that. I personally expect us to win 7 games minumum before the bowl, possibly 8 or 9. I would consider 6-6 acceptable.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

Just now, huskerfan333157 said:

Someone doesn't look at SoS.  Pelini had a easier schedule his first year than frost does this year. 

Bo played Virginia Tech , #4 Missouri, #7 Texas Tech and @ #4 Oklahoma.  This is the apathy I'm talking about, if you look at 2018 and see for sure 6 losses I don't know what to tell you.

• Plus1 4
Just now, huskerfan333157 said:

Do Nebraska fans realize that 9 of our opponents made bowl games last year and 7 won their bowl game (should have been 8 if Michigan didn't choke).  This isn't the 90s, most of our games won't be gimmes and most of our games will be toss ups 

None of those teams are the same teams

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Like I said, this whole conversation is about people using English differently than others, as people are wont to do. I agreed with his post too. 6-6 is worst case scenario.

Some people think "acceptable" and "goal" and "expectation" all mean the same thing, as evidenced by you saying "everyone seems to think 6-6 would be a massive improvement." In my opinion, no one in this entire topic is saying that or implying that. I personally expect us to win 7 games minumum before the bowl, possibly 8 or 9. I would consider 6-6 acceptable.

This started because someone said 6-6 is a reasonable expectation for year 1.  I diisagree.

I said acceptable, because in my view it's not.  Coach Frost wouldn't think 6-6 is acceptable, so why the hell shpuld we.  Use the word however the hell ya want I guess.  This is a f'ing stupid argument.

Edited by Redux
1 minute ago, Redux said:

Bo played Virginia Tech , #4 Missouri, #7 Texas Tech and @ #4 Oklahoma.  This is the apathy I'm talking about, if you look at 2018 and see for sure 6 losses I don't know what to tell you.

I don't see 6 sure loses, but I also don't see 10 sure wins.  You just seem very sure about what is going to happen next year.  BP in 2007 was 8-4 going into the bowl game and then they upset Clemson.   

Just now, Redux said:

None of those teams are the same teams

Actually, most of them will be improved or just as better.  Minnesota, Purdue, Michigan will all be better.  Wisconsin and Ohio State will be about the same.  Akron should be improved.  Iowa might take a step down, they're a wildcard.  Northwestern loses Justin Jackson and they may hurt but they will be improved in all other areas.  

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's just one way of interpreting it. You're operating under the impression that hiring the best coach available coaching candidate in the country last year should immediately help Nebraska overcome several years of disappointing football and cultural issues. I think that viewpoint is somewhat impractical.

Furthermore, my expectations for Nebraska remain unchanged. They should be competing for (and occasionally winning) conference titles. That does not mean I can't evaluate all of the variables in a given season and believe that a .500 record and bowl bid may be a worthy accomplishment in this first year.

I mean, Hell man, we just went 4-8 and have spent years with a not-so-good football team. I'm willing to sit back and just let this ride play out. It might happen right away and it may not.

Yes, it will.

They will be, soon.

It will be better than .500

Just now, NUinID said:

I don't see 6 sure loses, but I also don't see 10 sure wins.  You just seem very sure about what is going to happen next year.  BP in 2007 was 8-4 going into the bowl game and then they upset Clemson.   

And yes that's the point.  The team was 5-7 the year before and he came in and won 9 against a fairly tough schedule.  Not at all unlike this season and Scott is a better coach.

• Plus1 1