SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

1 minute ago, huskerfan333157 said:

You're missing the point.  We are facing equally talented or more talented team.  UCF had more talent than the teams they faced with the exception of Auburn.  USF was equally talented as well.

I'd throw Memphis in the equally talented category and Maryland in the more talented category. I'm not missing the point. This is a better roster than he had at UCF and every team in our division is less talented than us. Frost has work to do but he has more talent to work with now and while we do have tougher competition that doesn't seem to be a bother to Frost

3 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

2003 Solich 10-3 (5-3) Bowl

2004 Cally 5-6 (3-5)

2005 Cally 8-4 (4-4) Bowl

2006 Cally 9-5 (6-2) Div Champs/ Bowl

2007 Cally 5-7 (2-6)

2008 Pelini 9-4 (5-3) Bowl

vs.

2014 Pelini 9-4 (5-3) Bowl

2015 Riley 6-7 (3-5) Bowl

2016 Riley 9-4 (6-3) Bowl

2017 Riley 4-8 (3-6)

2018 Frost 

Just from a win-loss perspective, the Callahan and Riley eras look more similar than different to me.  Take out 2005 and they are just about identical.  As far as talent level on the roster, by many different measures we have seen it shown that the talent level has not drastically changed much over the last 15 years.  So I agree with those that think 6-6 is possible, but we should expect more than that in 2018.

Callahan recruited a game changer like Sub.  I don't see that on this roster.  Also, this schedule is more brutal than what pelini had to face hid first year.  

3 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

The schedule next year isn't twice as hard.  The teams played this year went 93-59 (61.2%) - the teams played next year went 98-56 (63.6%).

None of these maths are real. The teams don't have to win 122.4% of their games to make the schedule twice as hard. :P

But the twice as hard math isn't real either (nor was it intended to be).

Edited by Moiraine
2 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Callahan recruited a game changer like Sub.  I don't see that on this roster.  Also, this schedule is more brutal than what pelini had to face hid first year.  

You're just looking for reasons to be pessamistic. We have alot of talent on the roster. No one knew Suh was a game changer to that extent until Pelini came along. Riley did not let the talent level slip so I guarentee there are some undiscovered gamechangers on the roster.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

1.) Suh was... not good in 2007. He was developed into a monster.

2.) Source? Our SOS in 2008 was top 20 in multiple metrics, with 3 top 10 teams on the schedule.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, commando said:

i don't expect 6-6...but i it happens i won't be calling for scott to be fired.   does that make me apethetic?

so if 6-6 happens and if it is totally unacceptable...you will be leading the charge to have scott fired? 

I said exactly the opposite of that.  People are jumping on the literal definition of the word acceptable.  I'm using it as a measuring stick, not as an ultimatum.  I understand why people are taking an issue with it, but it's pretty stupid when I've explained my meaning.

Is 6-6 reasonable?  Sure

Is 6-6 "acceptable"  Sure

Is 6-6 a good mark of improvement?  Hell no

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

You're just looking for reasons to be pessamistic. We have alot of talent on the roster. No one knew Suh was a game changer to that extent until Pelini came along. Riley did not let the talent level slip so I guarentee there are some undiscovered gamechangers on the roster.

Suh 2007:

uschole1.jpg

Suh 2009:

2009-game-5-photo.jpg

It's about recruiting and development.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Kind of?

Of the 12 regular season opponents on our schedule, only Ohio State and Michigan out recruit us. It's the same thing I've been saying for a few years. We aren't developing players like other programs.

It takes longer than one spring and summer to develop them, especially with a new scheme.  Also, our last coaching staff didn't do a good job developing the talent.  It will take longer than 6 months to correct the last coaching staff's mistakes 

9 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Michigan State returns a lot.  Michigan returns a lot.  Purdue will be better (Brohm is a pretty good coach). Wisconsin still has their whole oline and Taylor returnin.  Iowa may be s little words, I'm not sure.  Minnesota will be better, Ohio State might take a slim step back.

Michigan State will not be better

Michigan is going to flop around like a fish

Purdue is still Purdue and should never scare or worry us ever

Wisvonsin won 13 games last year, they won't do that again

Iowa will not beat us thi year

Minnesota will be improved but still beatable

Ohio State will be worse but still better than us

This is my prediction, you don't have to like it

I was going to point this out as well.  Who on our roster is the next Suh?  Plus, Bo got the benefit of having a seasoned QB in 08'.  No matter who plays QB in 18', they will have very little to zero experience at this level.  Watson was held over from the previous staff.  We don't have any hold overs on this staff.  Both the offense and the defense are going to be completely redone.  I'm in the camp that is in the wait and see mode.  Without knowing who leaves, quits, etc.; I'm not comfortable making predictions on the W/L record.  Who knows, maybe we have a couple of Suh type players on the roster that just weren't used properly under the last staff? 

It takes longer than one spring and summer to develop them, especially with a new scheme.  Also, our last coaching staff didn't do a good job developing the talent.  It will take longer than 6 months to correct the last coaching staff's mistakes 

Maybe? But look at what Bo did in 2008. It's not impossible.

9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Are you sure about that?

According to 247 sports and talent still on roster it slipped every year he was here.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

2015 - 24th

2016 - 26th

2017 - 29th

On top of that, after testing our guys, they had to decrease the winter workouts (in amount of time and weight (as a percent of max)) over what they did at UCF in their first year transition workouts. 

Edited by yort2000
  • Plus1 1

I don't think it's even fair to be putting expectations on win totals for year 1.

This team was a disaster last year, even worse than the 4-8 record indicates.  This is a total rebuild from a culture standpoint, a work ethic standpoint, and a scheme standpoint.  The roster is also going to have a ton of new faces.

I think fair expectations for this year are playing hard, playing smart, playing together, and never giving up.

Do I think they can win 8 or 9 games, yes.  Do I expect it?  Not at all.  GIVE THE COACHES TIME.

No I'm not apathetic, I'm just not impatient.  I believe Frost will do great here, but he's also not a magical genie... that I know of.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

If everybody just gets the same amount better every year why do they even play the games?  

1.  They have their scheme already implemented.  2.  The teams are returning most of the starters.  We are building from the ground up. 1.  We won't fully grasp our scheme the first year.  2.  We gotta change the mindset.  We have to deal with correcting the last coaching staff's mistakes.  Even Frost said we're still missing pieces.