SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

9 minutes ago, Saunders said:

1.) Suh was... not good in 2007. He was developed into a monster.

2.) Source? Our SOS in 2008 was top 20 in multiple metrics, with 3 top 10 teams on the schedule.

Except we didn't beat any of the good teams and our only wins over teams with winning records were Western Michigan 9-4 and Kansas (8-5, 4-4 in the Big12).

Edited by yort2000

12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'd throw Memphis in the equally talented category and Maryland in the more talented category. I'm not missing the point. This is a better roster than he had at UCF and every team in our division is less talented than us. Frost has work to do but he has more talent to work with now and while we do have tougher competition that doesn't seem to be a bother to Frost

So you think the kids will fully grasp the system and we have all the players we need to make the system successful?   Even Frost said we're missing some pieces.

1 minute ago, yort2000 said:

Are you sure about that?

According to 247 sports and talent still on roster it slipped every year he was here.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite

2015 - 24th

2016 - 26th

2017 - 29th

On top of that, after testing our guys they had to decrease the winter workouts (in amount of time and weight (as a percent of max)) over what they did at UCF in their first year transition workouts. 

I would attribute roster talent decreasing  in part to poor recruiting by Bo in his last year. Recruiting under Riley 2015-30 2016-26 2017-23. 2014 class was 35th. 

5 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

So you think the kids will fully grasp the system and we have all the players we need to make the system successful?   Even Frost said we're missing some pieces.

This sounds like my trying my damdest to buy into the Riley hire and spread optimism while gritting my teeth.

Scott Frost in two years at UCF has done more than Mike Riley has his whole career.  The fact you're making excuses for Scott to go .500 in year 1 and it's FEBRUARY proves that Mike Riley really did make this fanbase apathetic.

Scott Frost and Nebraska win at least 8 games this year.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You're just looking for reasons to be pessamistic. We have alot of talent on the roster. No one knew Suh was a game changer to that extent until Pelini came along. Riley did not let the talent level slip so I guarentee there are some undiscovered gamechangers on the roster.

I'm being a realist, something that seems to be tough for the majority of Nebraska fans.  I've said 1.  Frost will be a great and 2.  We will be competing for BIG championships in 3 to 4 years.  But it takes longer than half a year to turn around the program.  I would think 6-6 would be a decent year considering all the factors involved.

2 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

"Pieces" could mean anything, and wile we may not be exactly where Frost wants roster wise, we are in better shape than UCF was to start. I think the players will grasp the system enough and I do think we have enough pieces to make the system succesful. It won't be as good as year 2, year 3 ect. But it will be enough other teams will take notice

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

I'm being a realist, something that seems to be tough for the majority of Nebraska fans.  I've said 1.  Frost will be a great and 2.  We will be competing for BIG championships in 3 to 4 years.  But it takes longer than half a year to turn around the program.  I would think 6-6 would be a decent year considering all the factors involved.

So you think 8 wins is just being unrealistic but 6 that is realistic. 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

"Pieces" could mean anything, and wile we may not be exactly where Frost wants roster wise, we are in better shape than UCF was to start. I think the players will grasp the system enough and I do think we have enough pieces to make the system succesful. It won't be as good as year 2, year 3 ect. But it will be enough other teams will take notice

You keep saying that, but I don't think it is true.

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

6-6 would be a dramatic improvement for teams to take notice.  8 wins is unrealistic though.

8 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I would attribute roster talent decreasing  in part to poor recruiting by Bo in his last year. Recruiting under Riley 2015-30 2016-26 2017-23. 2014 class was 35th. 

This has nothing to do with what you posted and to what I replied.  It seems like deflection to me.

Just now, yort2000 said:

You keep saying that, but I don't think it is true.

How so? I could take a look at UCF recruiting rankings and they will be wayyyyy below us all 4 years leading up to Frost. They also went from a pro scheme to Frosts spread option. What put UCF in a better position to succeed under Frost than us? I'm not seeing it. We are leagues ahead of where UCF was when it comes to talent, facilities, support. So please tell me how UCF was better off 2 years ago than we are now?