SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

1 minute ago, yort2000 said:

This has nothing to do with what you posted and to what I replied.  It seems like deflection to me.

Not sure how you are getting that, but ok. Talent level under Riley was consistent with what it has been for 15 years. His senior class last year was one of the least talent to go through NU in awhile, thats why I think the 247 talent evaluation isn't all on him. He did a bad job developing, I'll give you that, but there is plenty to work with on the roster

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

How so? I could take a look at UCF recruiting rankings and they will be wayyyyy below us all 4 years leading up to Frost. They also went from a pro scheme to Frosts spread option. What put UCF in a better position to succeed under Frost than us? I'm not seeing it. We are leagues ahead of where UCF was when it comes to talent, facilities, support. So please tell me how UCF was better off 2 years ago than we are now? 

1.  We are not playing UCFs 2016 schedule.  You have to take level of talent in relation to level of competition.

2.  After testing the current NU roster, they had to significantly decrease the winter workouts (in amount of time and weight (as a percent of max)) in relation to the first year transition workouts that they did at UCF.  (And even doing that, two guys ended up in the hospital.)

6 minutes ago, Redux said:

UCF went 0-12 the year before Frost, Nebraska went 4-8 the year prior.

UCF, during their greatest season ever, couldn't sfill their stadium.  Nebraska sold out their spring game.

We just signed the #21 class after 2 months on the job.

We are in a better situation.

Ucf also went 12-1 and beat Baylor in the bowl game the year before.  They've also won 5 conference titles since 2007 and we've won 0.  Frost did a great job but it's not like UCF hasn't been good in the past 8 years.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not sure how you are getting that, but ok. Talent level under Riley was consistent with what it has been for 15 years. His senior class last year was one of the least talent to go through NU in awhile, thats why I think the 247 talent evaluation isn't all on him. He did a bad job developing, I'll give you that, but there is plenty to work with on the roster

Who was laying blame on any coach?  You said you didn't think Riley let the talent level slip and yet according to 247 it has slipped the past three years.  So, the talent level has slipped.  That's the point.

2 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Yes.  We have too many toss up games.  

Guaranteed losses: OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan state.

Toss ups: Minnesota, Iowa, purdue, northwestern, Colorado

Guaranteed wins: fighting illini, Akron, troy (closer than what people think)

Guaranteed losses ...:rollin

I'll bet you right now we win at least one of those games

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

1.  We are not playing UCFs 2016 schedule.  You have to take level of talent in relation to level of competition.

2.  After testing the current NU roster, they had to significantly decrease the winter workouts (in amount of time and weight (as a percent of max)) in relation to the first year transition workouts that they did at UCF.  (And even doing that, two guys ended up in the hospital.)

UCF recruited 11th, 8th, 3rd, and 3rd in its own conference the 4 years leading to Frosts arrival so they were less talented than alot of their conference. We are more talented than our whole division and we have been for some time. The conditioning sucks but that will be fixed by the time the games are played 

6 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Yes.  We have too many toss up games.  

Guaranteed losses: OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan state.

Toss ups: Minnesota, Iowa, purdue, northwestern, Colorado

Guaranteed wins: fighting illini, Akron, troy (closer than what people think)

LMAO

1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

Guaranteed losses ...:rollin

I'll bet you right now we win at least one of those games

Well, Ohio State hasn't punted the ball once in the past two years we played them...

We haven't beat Wisconsin in quite awhile.

Michigan will be improved and there is no way you should even consider us favored.

Michigan state had a damn good year last year and return everyone.  

Which one do you think we will win and please state why.

3 minutes ago, yort2000 said:

Who was laying blame on any coach?  You said you didn't think Riley let the talent level slip and yet according to 247 it has slipped the past three years.  So, the talent level has slipped.  That's the point.

When i said talent I directly meant his recruiting rankings which is all he had control over. Team talent rankings factor in Bo's last class which was the worst in awhile and it brings down the ranking as they move through the program. The 247 talent ranking is based pretty heavily off recruiting rankings

6 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Ucf also went 12-1 and beat Baylor in the bowl game the year before.  They've also won 5 conference titles since 2007 and we've won 0.  Frost did a great job but it's not like UCF hasn't been good in the past 8 years.

Recruiting rankings in their conference prior to Frosts arrival: 11th, 8th, 3rd, 3rd. So its not like they are a juggernaught in a weak conference. There are more talented teams.

• Plus1 1