SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

2 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Bob stoops: 7-5 first year then 12-0 the next 

Nick Saban: 7-6 first year 12-2 the next 

Dabo swinney: 7-6 first year 11-2 in year 5

Pete carroll: 7-6 first year, 11-2 in next 

Jimmy johnson: 8-5 first year, 10-2 the next 

Jim harbaugh: 4-8 first year then 12-1 in 4th year.

Bear Bryant: 5-4 first year 8-1 the next.

Bobby Bowden: 5-6 in year 1, 10-2 the next.

John McKay: 4-6 first year, 11-0 next 

Joe Paterno: 5-5 first year, 8-2 next 

Woody Hayes: 4-3 first year, 10-0 3 years later 

So what????

Dabo Swinney 7-6

Jim Harbaugh 10-3

Chris Petersen 8-6

Lincoln Riley 12-2

Kirby Smart 8-5

Mark Richt 9-4

So on and so on...

You're telling me expecting 7 or more wins is unrealistic at the same time you're telling me it's impossible for us to knock off Michigan, MSU, Ohio State or Wisconsin.  That's nonsense.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Redux said:

So what????

Dabo Swinney 7-6

Jim Harbaugh 10-3

Chris Petersen 8-6

Lincoln Riley 12-2

Kirby Smart 8-5

Mark Richt 9-4

So on and so on...

You're telling me expecting 7 or more wins is unrealistic at the same time you're telling me it's impossible for us to knock off Michigan, MSU, Ohio State or Wisconsin.  That's nonsense.

What im saying is 6-6 wouldn't be a "horrible year."  Look at what all the coaches who had a "horrible" first year accomplished.  

Losing to all the top competition in the conference, and Purdue, and finishing .500 wouldn't be disappointing?  That's what you've suggested is realistic.  That wouldn't be at all disappointing because year 2 will automatically be better?  That's what you're implying?

If it is, fine.  Whatever.  It's the big picture that matters.  Set your bar at .500 and then celebrate when it's better than that.  For the record I think we beat at least one of your guaranteed loss teams, smoke Purdue, win 7-9 games total and handily win the division in year 2.  I think we win the division in year 2 regardless what this years record is.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Redux said:

Losing to all the top competition in the conference, and Purdue, and finishing .500 wouldn't be disappointing?  That's what you've suggested is realistic.  That wouldn't be at all disappointing because year 2 will automatically be better?  That's what you're implying?

If it is, fine.  Whatever.  It's the big picture that matters.  Set your bar at .500 and then celebrate when it's better than that.  For the record I think we beat at least one of your guaranteed loss teams, smoke Purdue, win 7-9 games total and handily win the division in year 2.  I think we win the division in year 2 regardless what this years record is.

Year 2 will be a toss up for winning the division, I want to see our recruiting class for next year and I wanna see how we look at the end of the year.

Year 3:  win then division but lose in the title game, finish top 20.

Year 4: lose the title game finish top 10

Year 5: win then conference and make the playoff.

I'll be happy to move up year 5 to year 4 

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Let's get a beer and talk about all these softies and "realistic" views.  Like I said, if we don't make the big ten title game I will be disappointed, because that's what I expect every single year no matter who the coach is.  Also my other favorite "just wait for year X!" after the recruiting, strength, coaching, ect. Blah.  That's what I have heard for 19 years, everyone tells me to wait until this specific year.  I'm not waiting until any year, I expect Scott frost to have us in the BIG TEN title game in year one.  And I don't need some smark to tell me "be ready to be disappointed because of the schedule" Other teams play tough schedules TOO.  So what?   Win your games get into the title game.  

29 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Let's get a beer and talk about all these softies and "realistic" views.  Like I said, if we don't make the big ten title game I will be disappointed, because that's what I expect every single year no matter who the coach is.  Also my other favorite "just wait for year X!" after the recruiting, strength, coaching, ect. Blah.  That's what I have heard for 19 years, everyone tells me to wait until this specific year.  I'm not waiting until any year, I expect Scott frost to have us in the BIG TEN title game in year one.  And I don't need some smark to tell me "be ready to be disappointed because of the schedule" Other teams play tough schedules TOO.  So what?   Win your games get into the title game.  

Just don't be hating on the coaching staff if they go 6-6 in year one.  

2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I thought you were not suppose to have any expectations for a year 1 coach? All I want is to see growth and improvement and a top 15 recruiting class heading into year two. 

The bolded is why it's problematic to put a number on expectations for 2017. Nebraska could win six games while still showing improvements in key areas like toughness, athleticism and the team culture.

• Plus1 1