SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

On 2/13/2018 at 8:14 PM, Redux said:

Well, I was called unrealistic and naive for thinking we are capable of winning 7 or more.  If that really makes me naive, so be it.  Last I checked this is Nebraska, not Purdue.

I was also told a coach cannot change the culture in one year.  I would say he already has in 2 months.  And I understand the point you're making, many have said the same thing.  But 6-6 is just not a huge improvement, not in my eyes.  If it happens and we lost 6 games by a combined 10 or so points and hung with all those big teams and even beat one......it's 2015 all over again.  A year where we had to convince ourselves less than .500 was okay because we weren't getting blown out, because our schedule was "tough", because it was a transition year, because it was a new system etc.

I'm tired of excuses.  The goal is and always has been "win the division".  That's the goal now, as it should be.  If we don't, it won't be the end of the world.  But I don't believe for one second this team is as bad as our last record indicated.

People still to this day are trying justify that season.  Don’t forget Mike hadn’t been able to use the resources yet, and his quarterback was not in place. (We saw what happened when he did). I will never understand the constant blow back on Bo but the free pass Mike the worst coach in America received.

• Plus1 1

What season did you watch?

Mike Riley didn't get a free pass. He got a lot of hell for that 6-7 season. But since everyone knew he wouldn't get fired in year one, we perhaps looked for some positives going into season two. Super close losses. Played Wisconsin almost straight up. First win against a Top 10 team in ages. Decent enough bowl win. Something to build on. 

Is that what you're talking about? 

In Season Two, Mike Riley essentially delivered a Bo Pelini performance with the same Tommy Armstrong at the helm -- and to be honest a ton of injuries.

In Season Three, with a hand-picked quarterback for his system, Mike Riley's team generally s#!t the bed and he was fired four seasons earlier than Bo Pelini. 

No free passes for anybody.

• Plus1 7

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm usually pretty pessimistic, but I really think next year will be better than most are predicting. I see us winning 9 games. If we don't I certainly won't be disappointed; I just think we're better than some give us credit for.

Anyone predicting anything right now isn't basing it off much, and therefore the prediction isn't worth anything. Anybody can toss out a number, it's the method that generates that number that is really important.

Honestly, the question posed in the OP is irrelevant in year 1. The data is all across the board for wins in year 1. Year 2, on the other hand, sees much more consistent results because that's really the first year most coaches are going to have pieces in place to begin accomplishing their goals. Year 1 is more of a prologue.

• Plus1 2

The point Sker, and the reason I hated Pelini from day one was his attitude towards Nebraska.  He caused many problems when he left after Solich was fired, then did the same kind of crap when he was fired.  He did seem to keep quiet afterwards, but I think he had past assistant coaches calling the kids, trying to cause more problems.  I know he did it after Solich.

I supported both of them, wanted them both to succeed, but was not meant to be.  I have no hate for either of them, because I truly believe they tried their best to do the job right. I will never believe Pelini ever had the best interest of Nebraska in mind, only the best for Pelini.

Edited by skersfan
2 hours ago, skersfan said:

The point Sker, and the reason I hated Pelini from day one was his attitude towards Nebraska.  He caused many problems when he left after Solich was fired, then did the same kind of crap when he was fired.  He did seem to keep quiet afterwards, but I think he had past assistant coaches calling the kids, trying to cause more problems.  I know he did it after Solich.

I supported both of them, wanted them both to succeed, but was not meant to be.  I have no hate for either of them, because I truly believe they tried their best to do the job right. I will never believe Pelini ever had the best interest of Nebraska in mind, only the best for Pelini.

I totally understood your point.

I will never believe Riley had the best interest of Nebraska in mind.  We were his golden parachute.

I also believe Riley left the program in much worse shape than Pelini.  Frost is consistently referring to changing culture, and it includes making it known that Osborne had to give him the green light regarding administration.

• Plus1 3
On 2/13/2018 at 10:37 AM, HS_Coach_C said:

I don't think it's even fair to be putting expectations on win totals for year 1.

This team was a disaster last year, even worse than the 4-8 record indicates.  This is a total rebuild from a culture standpoint, a work ethic standpoint, and a scheme standpoint.  The roster is also going to have a ton of new faces.

I think fair expectations for this year are playing hard, playing smart, playing together, and never giving up.

Do I think they can win 8 or 9 games, yes.  Do I expect it?  Not at all.  GIVE THE COACHES TIME.

No I'm not apathetic, I'm just not impatient.  I believe Frost will do great here, but he's also not a magical genie... that I know of.

There is no time. I am tired of hearing this over and over and over and over.  Frost needs to produce in year 1.  

7 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

There is no time. I am tired of hearing this over and over and over and over.  Frost needs to produce in year 1.  

Why is there no time? Are you on your death bed? Did you bet your house that Nebraska would win a championship by 2018? Did a girl promise to go on a date with you when Nebraska won a title?

I have very high expectations for these coaches and this team, but they start in year 2.

• Plus1 3

On 2/15/2018 at 10:48 AM, Redux said:

Winning 6 games likely means this is basically our record:

Akron- W

Colorado- W

Troy- W

@Michigan- L

Purdue- W (some .500 folks think this is a loss)

@Wiscy- L

@NW- W

Minny- L

@tOSU- L

Illinois- W

MSU- L

@Iowa- L

That's "marked improvement"?  Losing to a team we should beat plus all top 5 teams on the schedule?  Just beacuase we beat 6 cupcakes instead of only beating 4, that's "marked improvement"?

It's not.  We are capable of more than this, we will do better than .500

I know I'm a couple pages behind but when I look at a schedule, I want to believe every home game is a W. Memorial Stadium is a special place and Minnesota next year should not be chalked up as a W in Lincoln. 

7-5 is no where out of expectations.

side note... I'm also not setting any expectations.

12 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Or what?

What will you do if he doesn't?

The problem with generic "he needs to produce" statements (like the one King made) is they can mean so many different things. And, it's the biggest reason this thread has rambled on for seven pages.