SI Mailbag: What Are Realistic Short-Term Expectations for Nebraska?

Saunders

1 hour ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Scott frost is a great coach but UCF usually has the most talent in their conference while Nebraska does not.  UCF is known to be a football school, has 5 conference championships since 2007, and finished #10 in 2013.  They usually are one of the most talented teams in their conference.  Frost will be a great coach but expecting a 8 or 9 win season his first year, with this schedule, will be extremely tough.

We have more talent than UCF 

3 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Most of them will be improved, if you watch football outside of Nebraska then you would know this 

I watch a lot of football outside of Nebraska and completely disagree.  Michigan will be better?  Michigan State?  Iowa?  Wisconsin?

We basically lost to Purdue last year and you're telling me to temper my expectations?

Edited by Redux
10 hours ago, BigRedN said:

You used the wrong word.  I did not say "expectation". I said what is "realistic" for the first year with all the changes and the schedule.

8-4 sounds dreamy.  That just isn't realistic, in my opinion.  It is certainty the staff wants to accomplish.  

A reminder ^.

And saying 6-6 isn't acceptable but it wouldn't make you angry/pissed off is a contradiction.

Just now, teachercd said:

Fans, don't lower your expectations because of Riley.  Raise your expectations because of Frost.

That crap-show that was Riley almost won 6 games last year...think about that.

This year's schedule is twice as hard as last year's schedule.  Last year's team would have won 3 games with this schedule so frost winning 6 is a good improvement imo.

14 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

Nebraska made a big 12 championship several years before bo arrived.  Frost is inheriting a program that went 4-6 in 2 of the last three years.  You're comparing apples and oranges.  

2003 Solich 10-3 (5-3) Bowl

2004 Cally 5-6 (3-5)

2005 Cally 8-4 (4-4) Bowl

2006 Cally 9-5 (6-2) Div Champs/ Bowl

2007 Cally 5-7 (2-6)

2008 Pelini 9-4 (5-3) Bowl

vs.

2014 Pelini 9-4 (5-3) Bowl

2015 Riley 6-7 (3-5) Bowl

2016 Riley 9-4 (6-3) Bowl

2017 Riley 4-8 (3-6)

2018 Frost 

Just from a win-loss perspective, the Callahan and Riley eras look more similar than different to me.  Take out 2005 and they are just about identical.  As far as talent level on the roster, by many different measures we have seen it shown that the talent level has not drastically changed much over the last 15 years.  So I agree with those that think 6-6 is possible, but we should expect more than that in 2018.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Redux said:

THIS

IS

EXACTLY

WHAT

APATHY

IS

i don't expect 6-6...but i it happens i won't be calling for scott to be fired.   does that make me apethetic?

so if 6-6 happens and if it is totally unacceptable...you will be leading the charge to have scott fired? 

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Redux said:

I watch a lot of football outside of Nebraska and completely disagree.  Michigan will be better?  Michigan State?  Iowa?  Wisconsin?

We basically lost to Purdue last year and you're telling me to temper my expectations?

Michigan State returns a lot.  Michigan returns a lot.  Purdue will be better (Brohm is a pretty good coach). Wisconsin still has their whole oline and Taylor returnin.  Iowa may be s little words, I'm not sure.  Minnesota will be better, Ohio State might take a slim step back.

8 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

This year's schedule is twice as hard as last year's schedule.  Last year's team would have won 3 games with this schedule so frost winning 6 is a good improvement imo.

The schedule next year isn't twice as hard.  The teams played this year went 93-59 (61.2%) - the teams played next year went 98-56 (63.6%).

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, huskerfan333157 said:

You're missing the point.  We are facing equally talented or more talented team.  UCF had more talent than the teams they faced with the exception of Auburn.  USF was equally talented as well.

Kind of?

Of the 12 regular season opponents on our schedule, only Ohio State and Michigan out recruit us. It's the same thing I've been saying for a few years. We aren't developing players like other programs.

Edited by Saunders
Whoops, included PSU instead of Michigan.
  • Plus1 1
1 minute ago, commando said:

i don't expect 6-6...but i it happens i won't be calling for scott to be fired.   does that make me apethetic?

so if 6-6 happens and if it is totally unacceptable...you will be leading the charge to have scott fired? 

He said he won't be angry.

This is honestly just a disagreement on the meaning of the word "acceptable" and I think most people here are on the same page. Which makes it funny.

• Plus1 1
Just now, huskerfan333157 said:

Michigan State returns a lot.  Michigan returns a lot.  Purdue will be better (Brohm is a pretty good coach). Wisconsin still has their whole oline and Taylor returnin.  Iowa may be s little words, I'm not sure.  Minnesota will be better, Ohio State might take a slim step back.

If everybody just gets the same amount better every year why do they even play the games?  

• Plus1 1