The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

The thing we have to consider is that the running back who gets the most carries could have a lot to do with how much improvement we see out of the line.  If they are able to pick up the new blocking schemes quickly and can get stronger and faster as a group, it's very possible that Washington is the guy because he seems to look the part of frosts ideal running back.  If not, the bigger ozigbo could be relied on more to help pound down opposing linebackers. If it's somewhere in the middle then it could be more of a group effort or Tre could be the guy because he has the most diverse skillset.   

My guess is that earlier in the year we will probably get a lot more Ozigbo than we do later in the season.  Beyond that I have no idea what to expect. 

Greg Bell was brought in to be the starter. You don’t bring in a JUCO guy with his level of talent so he can be a backup. 

We also don’t bring in 2-3 RB’s in this class if we already have 5 on the roster unless the coaches didn’t see what they wanted in the room. 

They mentioned they wanted speed, a home run threat, good vision and ability to catch passes and pass protect. 

Theres been discussions about putting Tre Bryant on a medical scholarship. His knee is just worn down. 

Ozigbo and Wilbon are question marks. Spring will tell us more but one of those is likely to transfer after spring. 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

If you're talking about the Spring Game, sure. 

Come September, if Mazour is above Washington, Wilbon and Ozigbo (and potentially Miles Jones), we are in trouble. 

Yeah it’s an out there prediction, but that’s because I don’t count on true freshmen to come in and be productive right away, nor am I worried if a walk-on gets more touches or has higher production than a true freshman. Don’t get me wrong, I hope Washington jumps in and steals carries if he’s good enough, that’ll project well for the future. 

Frost has shown he will adapt, but he is primarily 1-2 RB guy, if Bell and Bryant are getting it done, there won’t be much need for the third back. 

19 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Yeah it’s an out there prediction, but that’s because I don’t count on true freshmen to come in and be productive right away, nor am I worried if a walk-on gets more touches or has higher production than a true freshman. Don’t get me wrong, I hope Washington jumps in and steals carries if he’s good enough, that’ll project well for the future. 

Frost has shown he will adapt, but he is primarily 1-2 RB guy, if Bell and Bryant are getting it done, there won’t be much need for the third back. 

I really thought Mazour would see more time last night, particularly in the return game. I think he can provide some depth and ability there. 

• Plus1 1

We got a heck of a new RB group coming in by the way....

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Greg Bell #1 JUCO RB 

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Maurice Washington #10 HS RB (can also play WR or DB)

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Miles Jones #17 HS ATH (can also play WR)

⭐️⭐️⭐️ Moses Bryant (walk on) 

thats basically a whole depth chart of guys in one class. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

You got a link for that medical hardship info?

All I can find is a single comment from Mike Riley last year and I've been told he is only reliable .500% of the time.

A single comment does not equal medical hardship and it also doesn't mean chronic knee problems.

All we have is one comment from a failed head coach.

Well, he had a surgery last year and only played in a couple of ganes so I would assume that alone would qualify him for a hardship year.  

• 1 month later...

Is it just me, or is this RB room full, like overly full.

SR Ozigbo

SR Wilbon

JR Bryant

JR Bell

JR Mazour

SO Bradley

FR Washington

FR Ben Miles

Also getting a few carries a game:

Miles

Lindsey

Spielman

Plus add in that the QB will be running the ball a little bit.

Not sure there are enough footballs to go around to keep everyone happy.

Edited by ScottyIce
8 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

SR Ozigbo

SR Wilbon

JR Bryant

JR Bell

JR Mazour

SO Bradley

FR Washington

FR Ben Miles

Miles

Lindsey

Spielman

Hopefully its a good problem to have. With the depth that we have I really think Washington will redshirt. Based on what I've read that is not the plan but I just don't see how he will get many meaningful snaps this year - unless it is special teams but I don't think we should burn a redshirt year with capable returners in Spielman, Morgan and Bradley(for kick returns).

12 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

SR Ozigbo

SR Wilbon

JR Bryant

JR Bell

JR Mazour

SO Bradley

FR Washington

FR Ben Miles

Miles

Lindsey

Spielman

Not sure you should count Mazour or Miles, but kind of. 

Good problem to have when the only proven commodity is coming off a severe knee problem. 

9 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

SR Ozigbo

SR Wilbon

JR Bryant

JR Bell

JR Mazour

SO Bradley

FR Washington

FR Ben Miles

Miles

Lindsey

Spielman

Probably a little full - some guys definitely won't be getting as many touches as they want.

UCF had 6 guys get at least 25 carries last year, 1 of which was the QB Milton.

If 5 guys get that many carries this year, I'd bet on: Bell, Wilbon, Ozigbo, Bradley, and Washington

Bryant will take one of those spots if he's healthy

Mazour might get a few, and maybe Miles gets a few in short yardage situations

23 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

SR Ozigbo

SR Wilbon

JR Bryant - ???

JR Bell

JR Mazour

SO Bradley

FR Washington - ???

FR Ben Miles

Yes and no.  I do think we have some good options.

I doubt Ozigbo really sees the field.  I like Bryant but I have my doubts that he'll be a really big factor.  Mazour is a nice story but that's about it.  Washington is still a question mark to get here.  And Miles doesn't have a place in this offense.

Even with all that, I think Bell and Wilbon will be really good in this offense.  Bradley as well but he might have to wait a year to get a lot of run.  I think Bryant could be as well but I don't trust his knees.  Washington could also be good but not this year (if at all).

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

SR Ozigbo

SR Wilbon

JR Bryant

JR Bell

JR Mazour

SO Bradley

FR Washington

FR Ben Miles

Miles

Lindsey

Spielman

I think it's going to come down to:

Washington, Bell, Bradley, Miles Jones, Spielman, Lindsey with Bryant, Wilbon, and Ozigbo being given a chance, but I just don't think they'll be good enough all over the field. But, could be wrong.