The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

51 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I think there will only be "grumbles" about running back by committee if there is no production to speak of.

If each RB is averaging 5-6 (or more) yards a pop, I doubt any one will care.

This isn't a "Rozier gets 40 carries a game" offense, either. Too much of its strength comes from forcing a defense to consider all of the possibilities. 

As to production, this staff means it when they say every day is competition day. Who plays game 1 may not be who plays game 8. That's where it's huge that Bryant and Washington are now available. There's now competition that forces everyone to get better, and if you're not cutting it (see last year), there are now options. Riley, by his own failure to correct roster issues, was forced to overuse the one back that was productive.

• Plus1 2

Maybe worth mentioning, maybe not, but a UCF fan did analytics on what personnel was used and the success rate.  He mentioned that when there were 2 back sets, it was successful 60% of the time.  Now, I don't know what percentage of time there were two backs, but don't be shocked if we see it.

http://power6analytics.com/breaking-down-ucfs-2017-success-and-what-to-expect-in-2018-using-analytics/

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Maybe worth mentioning, maybe not, but a UCF fan did analytics on what personnel was used and the success rate.  He mentioned that when there were 2 back sets, it was successful 60% of the time.  Now, I don't know what percentage of time there were two backs, but don't be shocked if we see it.

http://power6analytics.com/breaking-down-ucfs-2017-success-and-what-to-expect-in-2018-using-analytics/

personnel-ucf.jpg

2 running backs is Personnel #20 and #21. The first # indicates the number of running backs. So 17.77% of the time.

The 2nd # is the # of TEs.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, brophog said:

A huge consideration in that analysis is he is considering Otis Anderson as a running back, not a receiver. This is also a look at personnel and not formation. Very important distinctions in this offense. 

If he wanted to be obsessive about it (and wasn't) he would look at whether the WR/RB ran a route or ran the ball/was faked to.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

If he wanted to be obsessive about it (and wasn't) he would look at whether the WR/RB ran a route or ran the ball/was faked to.

That gets into NFL territory where pay is based on position in a game that is becoming more and more positionless. There have been such tedious analysis, especially on positions like TE/WR or DE/LB. At some point it becomes useless semantics.

22 minutes ago, admo said:

Cool. I can't say I know anything about Wash, but the speed sounds good for us (Frost's offense). I believe the lead carrier will come down to Bell and Bryant. This trio should solidify the backfield. Agree?

I think those 3 are all 3 great options to feel good about making plays when it’s their turn to be in the game. But I think if your rating the most natural talent in the room it’s washington. He is the youngest and newest to the program so maybe at the start of the season he is not the starter while he catches up. But by seasons end or for sure next season he is #1 on depth chart