The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

Tidbit: I just watched the first series of the first UCF game in 2016 and UCF played 3 different running backs in its first 8 plays, and 2 of them were freshmen.

I already thought this anyway but there's just no way Washington is redshirting.

Also, different league I know, but Killins weighed 155 lbs at the time.

• Plus1 3
On 8/10/2018 at 7:07 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I have no idea about California. Again, I was just pointing out the difference of private and public schools in Texas. The competition at the private schools or TAPPS division is significantly lower than the public school or UIL division in Texas. I’m not saying there aren’t great players on those private school teams, but the overall competition is weaker in the private school division. I don’t know how that competition would compare to the rest of the country.

I did not know that - I always associated private schools with, you know, RECRUITING. In Kansas there is talk about some sort of classification adjustment to assist the public schools because the private schools win a disproportionate number of state titles.

• Plus1 1
On 8/10/2018 at 7:27 AM, Moiraine said:

Is it because they were equal? They were playing when I first started really being conscious of what I was watching, but I don't remember them being called that.

One of my favorite stories about them came from Calvin at an event I was at last fall.

One year, either before the season started or after they had played a few games, Calvin and Derek decided they wanted to go talk to Tom and Frank about something important. They wagered one of them was good enough to win the Heisman Trophy if they could only stop splitting carries and if one of them could be a more focal back. So, they organized a meeting with the two coaches, sat down and basically laid out their argument to Tom and Frank.

Tom considered them for awhile, nodded and said (paraphrasing) 'Well, I can tell you guys have put a lot of thought into this and this is really important to you. But, I think what gives us the best chance to win is playing you two equally, so that's what we're going to keep doing.'

And that was the last time Calvin or Derek ever brought it up. :lol:

18 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I looked at the opponents win % and most of the regular season the opponents were around 55%, with only one poor team 33%.  However in the playoffs they did beat an undefeated team in the championship game by 32 points. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

It doesn’t matter one way or another. Washington has so far been very impressive. This could be the most talented stack of backs at N since 1995. I’m referring  mostly to GB, TB and MW, but apparently DO has looked better than he ever has speed wise and in his conditioning. So there may be a use for Ozigbo in short-yardage situations or even as a blocker because of his size — he still most likely wouldn’t be as good in space as the other three. And what do they do with Bradley?

Edit: I forgot Miles Jones, another potentially explosive back. 

21 hours ago, Pedro G said:

It doesn’t matter one way or another. Washington has so far been very impressive. This could be the most talented stack of backs at N since 1995. I’m referring  mostly to GB, TB and MW, but apparently DO has looked better than he ever has speed wise and in his conditioning. So there may be a use for Ozigbo in short-yardage situations or even as a blocker because of his size — he still most likely wouldn’t be as good in space as the other three. And what do they do with Bradley?

Edit: I forgot Miles Jones, another potentially explosive back. 

Off-season at its finest. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Could one or more back move to defense? If so, who and where?

I think we could look at it a couple of ways. Looking back on UCF in 2017, they had four running backs with 25 or more carries on the season. This is good news for guys lower on the depth chart from the standpoint that there are probably going to be a lot of carries to go around and a need for a deep running back room.

The bad news for some of those guys is Bell has two years of eligibility, Washington four (excluding the redshirt rule) and Bryant I think has a full three if he's granted the medical redshirt this year (which he likely will be), and those three are probably going to get most of the carries for the next two years at least.

So much can change year to year, though, especially since it's becoming more common for backs to head to the NFL early because of the shorter shelf life.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Could one or more back move to defense? If so, who and where?

Nobody will move to defense. Ozigbo and Wilson are gone after this year, Tre Bryant is healthy now, but isn’t guaranteed to be that way, and Bell only has 2 years left as he was a JUCO. Bradley could be the odd man out, but I still like what he has to offer in this offense.

• Plus1 3
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Nobody will move to defense. Ozigbo and Wilson are gone after this year, Tre Bryant is healthy now, but isn’t guaranteed to be that way, and Bell only has 2 years left as he was a JUCO. Bradley could be the odd man out, but I still like what he has to offer in this offense.

:yeah

A couple guys might have to wait their turn a bit but at least three will be in the regular rotation and probably at least a couple more will see the field.

Options are good

• Plus1 1