The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

11 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think the 35,000 foot view is Nebraska purely struggled to operate a functional running game and for a variety of reasons. At times, it was because a lack of commitment, other times it was a lack of execution.

Lack of commitment in play calling, as well as in the weight room.

5 hours ago, Ulty said:

I don't understand the argument that has developed in these last few posts. Isn't it pretty much universally accepted that the playcalling sucked with Langsdorf and Riley, with that first loss against Purdue being Exhibit A?

it's tough waiting for the opener..............sigh

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Word is the coaches have some short-yardage plays lined up for Ozigbo.

The (unwritten) inference is he really isn't in the regular rotation but will get some spot carries.

I've been thinking that he would probably be used as a short-yardage/"goal line" back

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Word is the coaches have some short-yardage plays lined up for Ozigbo.

The (unwritten) inference is he really isn't in the regular rotation but will get some spot carries.

Makes sense. Based on what we've seen, he doesn't have the acceleration or top end speed of at least three of the other backs.

It's fascinating to reflect on just how much this situation has changed in a few short weeks. If Bryant had been too injured and Washington didn't qualify, we would've been looking at a far different situation in which Ozigbo may have played a deeper role. Now, on paper at least, we're looking at what could be the deepest running back rotation here since 2011 and maybe one of the better ones in the B1G if things play out well.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

One of the guys on the 5 to 6 slot on 1620 is predicting that Washington will start against Akron. His co-host is saying he will start sometime during the season. I don’t know about that, but the talent level between GB, TB, and MW could be such that there could be little difference no matter who is on the field. However some backs claim to get better during a game by receiving a number of carries. Frost I don’t see having one featured back like Wisky. He wants to do his share of rotating. Could that affect a back or two — hope not? All I know is I am not seeing a Frost team having a 1,500- to 2,000-yard rusher like a Jonathon Taylor. 

41 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

One of the guys on the 5 to 6 slot on 1620 is predicting that Washington will start against Akron. His co-host is saying he will start sometime during the season. I don’t know about that, but the talent level between GB, TB, and MW could be such that there could be little difference no matter who is on the field. However some backs claim to get better during a game by receiving a number of carries. Frost I don’t see having one featured back like Wisky. He wants to do his share of rotating. Could that affect a back or two — hope not? All I know is I am not seeing a Frost team having a 1,500- to 2,000-yard rusher like a Jonathon Taylor. 

If Frost rotates the backs why can't we have 3 backs with 1500 yards each?:D Of course that is combined rushing and receiving. :dunno

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I think Bryant and Bell will be very good backs when they are in. But Washington is a cut above in that elite status I believe. 

6 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I'm slightly concerned that if Frost shows that this is how he wants to manage his RBs, it will affect RB recruiting in the future.  On one hand, you can tell the recruit, "Hey, I will get you carries to prove what you can do on the field but I'm not going to over use you."  But, as with any position, a lot of top RBs will want to have the chance to be THE GUY and get that 1,000 - 1,500 yards himself.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm slightly concerned that if Frost shows that this is how he wants to manage his RBs, it will affect RB recruiting in the future.  On one hand, you can tell the recruit, "Hey, I will get you carries to prove what you can do on the field but I'm not going to over use you."  But, as with any position, a lot of top RBs will want to have the chance to be THE GUY and get that 1,000 - 1,500 yards himself.

Do you know who Adrian Killins is? So does the rest of the country. This offense gives backs the opportunity to create highlights.

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Total touches and total yards is a much better measure of RB use in this O over carries and rushing yards. It doesn’t seem that any one back will average more than 15 carries a game, but they each also might get 3-5 catches a game or more.

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No need to be concerned, he's shown he can go both ways already.  Royce Freeman had 283 carries during Frost's last year as OC at Oregon.