The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

It’s not really relevant whether he’s playing with the 1s. I posted earlier in the thread that in Frost’s 1st game at UCF, he played 3 different RBs in the 1st 8 plays. Ozigbo might play quite a bit but he’s still likely gonna be the 3rd string RB at best, and I think he’ll have less carries than he had last season.

On 8/15/2018 at 12:48 PM, Mavric said:

Sounds a lot like Frost. I believe SF was interviewed yesterday and was asked about what kind of legacy he wanted to leave behind, and he said something along the lines of 'I'm not worried about that kind of stuff because if I am then I'm not focused on the team getting better' or something very similar.

Yep.

I think a good chunk of our fan base subconsciously thinks this will be Tim Beck's Power Run Spread offense. It's not.

When trying to guess at what anything is going to look like until the first couple of games are played, I think it's really safe to just think back to Chip Kelly's offense. Hate to say this, but a guy like Ozigbo just doesn't have a place in that offense. That's why Bell got an offer.

I know they have their role but "short Yardage/goal line backs are kind of annoying to me.  4 touchdowns on 11 carries and 27 yards...smh.  I'm a fan of seeing the workhorse back that drove you down the field getting the touchdown.  That said, I really do hope Oz has a good year.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

I know they have their role but "short Yardage/goal line backs are kind of annoying to me.  4 touchdowns on 11 carries and 27 yards...smh.  I'm a fan of seeing the workhorse back that drove you down the field getting the touchdown.  That said, I really do hope Oz has a good year.

Definitely hear what you're saying, but we've had such a drought on offense the past two seasons that I'm thinking we'll be happy with any system that consistently gets the ball in the end zone.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Hilltop said:

If they have the breakaway ability, which they're supposed to, it won't matter. They'll get plenty of TDs.

47 minutes ago, Redux said:

So in other words, you're assuming be is running with the ones?  Don't get me wrong, I like Ozigbo and would love to see him push for top spot playing time.  But with the injection of Frost hand picked talent, that time is going to be extremely hard to come by unless he has become a totally different player from last year.

There is no assumption, he is.

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

Definitely hear what you're saying, but we've had such a drought on offense the past two seasons that I'm thinking we'll be happy with any system that consistently gets the ball in the end zone.

Bingo.

I would like to see some long runs that end in touchdowns. I feel like its been since 2014 and Ameer where that was actually a possibility.

9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

He will be less utilized with Frost, most likely. Even though we'll run more.

I don't know, maybe. I would think that depends on Bryant's health going forward. I would have less of a problem with his use if Bell and Washington (and Bryant if healthy) are both 'actually' better than him. In 2016, and 2017, after Bryant's injury, he was our best option in the backfield, and Riley/Langsdorf consistently underutilized him. It was baffling to me.

29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Another report today that the coaches have basically told Ozigbo that he'll be a short yardage/goal line back.  And he is said to be good with that.

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

Which is exactly how he needs to be used!

Except short yardage situations have never been his strength....Maybe that's changed under this staff. He's at his best at the second level.

7 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't know, maybe. I would think that depends on Bryant's health going forward. I would have less of a problem with his use if Bell and Washington (and Bryant if healthy) are both 'actually' better than him. In 2016, and 2017, after Bryant's injury, he was our best option in the backfield, and Riley/Langsdorf consistently underutilized him. It was baffling to me.

It’s pretty obvious they are better based on the coaches’ and players’ comments, and the fact that even if he was the best RB last year, he wasn’t that good.

And I really don’t get why you’re saying he was underutilized unless you just mean we didn’t run it enough, which I agree with. He had the most rushes by far.