The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

26 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Uh, you had LP and Ahman Green in '95, with Benning and Childs backing them up. 

You also had Helu and Burkhead in '10, and Burkhead and Ameer in '11 and '12. 

Yeah, I think Phillips/Green/Benning/Childs was the best RB group ever at NU.  I'd bet either Benning or Childs would be in the mix today for the starting position.  

You ever watch any of those old 80s games on youtube?  If you go back even further we had Mike Rozier, Roger Craig and Jeff Smith at the same time in 1982.  People don't remember how good Jeff Smith was because he didn't get that many carries.   I think Roger Craig played FB some his senior year so he and Rozier would both be on the field at the same time.  

• Plus1 1

I don't understand why it's important to spend so much energy worrying about what group of players Ozigbo is practicing with over another.

Ozigbo will likely finish no higher than third in overall running back carries and no higher than fourth in overall team carries (barring injuries or some other extraneous factor, of course).

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, NUance said:

Yeah, I think Phillips/Green/Benning/Childs.  I'd bet either Benning or Childs would be in the mix today for the starting position.  

You ever watch any of those old 80s games on youtube?  If you go back even further we had Mike Rozier, Roger Craig and Jeff Smith at the same time in 1982.  People don't remember how good Jeff Smith was because he didn't get that many carries.   I think Roger Craig played FB some his senior year so he and Rozier would both be on the field at the same time.  

I also think that the run from Helu to Burkhead to Ameer doesn't necessarily get the respect it (and they) deserves. All three are in the top 6 of the career rushing yards list, above both We Backs and LP. 

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Ozigbo will have a role, but he won't be a featured back, nor will he get as many carries as Bell or Bryant, barring injury. 

or Washington. If Bryant can play, Ozigbo will probably be 5th in carries behind Bell, Washington, Bryant, Martinez/Gebbia, and possibly even behind one of the WR.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

The first running back that Frost talked about today was Devine...... just because I put some CORRECT information out there before it starts to come out in the cycle doesn't mean I'm just assuming things.   Why would even state it in the first place?  Seriously..... dudes

You're reading between the lines of coach speak, that may be the literal definition of "assumption".  Literally nowhere in any of the information has anything said verbatim "Ozigbo is practicing with the ones".  The only thing that says so with absolute certainty, is you.

8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I also think that the run from Helu to Burkhead to Ameer doesn't necessarily get the respect it (and they) deserves. All three are in the top 6 of the career rushing yards list, above both We Backs and LP. 

Definitely true.  But Helu and Ameer didn't overlap.

44 minutes ago, Redux said:

You're reading between the lines of coach speak, that may be the literal definition of "assumption".  Literally nowhere in any of the information has anything said verbatim "Ozigbo is practicing with the ones".  The only thing that says so with absolute certainty, is you.

I’m not reading between anything.  That is what is happening, he is rotating in the main rotation.  All of these things came out after I said something.  I don’t need to read between any lines.  Correct, no where in your information has that been said.  In timely fashion we have 2 news sources and Frost mention him without being specifically asked, right after I said he was running with the ones.     That’s because that is what was/has been happening, it is an important development.  Believe what you will, I was just trying to provide some positive and correct insight.

You want to believe off the cuff these are things are coming out about Devine beacuse he’s practicing with Bunchs unit all day?

3 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

I’m not reading between anything.  That is what is happening, he is rotating in the main rotation.  All of these things came out after I said something.  I don’t need to read between any lines.  Correct, no where in your information has that been said.  In timely fashion we have 2 news sources and Frost mention him without being specifically asked, right after I said he was running with the ones.     That’s because that is what was/has been happening, it is an important development.  Believe what you will, I was just trying to provide some positive and correct insight.

You want to believe off the cuff these are things are coming out about Devine beacuse he’s practicing with Bunchs unit all day?

You’ve provided no links or quotes that show “all of these things came out” or that Ozigbo is running with the 1s. You just keep saying it.

Frost mentioning Ozigbo does not mean he’s running with the 1s. Just like Fisher mentioning Ethan Cox does not mean he’s with the 1s.

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

So.....can you provide some actual data to backup the claim?

I’m starting to wonder if KingBlank didn’t get the memo that we have a new coaching staff that gives lots of reps to lots of players, therefore hearing that someone is practicing does not mean they are practicing with the 1s, which is probably what it meant with Riley.

Frost has multiple units practicing at the same time. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Definitely true.  But Helu and Ameer didn't overlap.

You're right; they didn't. I was alluding more to that particular time in program history; we love to romanticize the past, and the 90s in particular, but that run of 3 backs is right there among the best in program history. 

5 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Whhhhhhooooooooo cares!?!?.  Why dont we all just wait and see once the season starts. 

I mean, I generally agree, but......we're on a message board. These types of meaningless discussions are pretty much what MBs were built for. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You're right; they didn't. I was alluding more to that particular time in program history; we love to romanticize the past, and the 90s in particular, but that run of 3 backs is right there among the best in program history. 

Absolutely.  You thrown in Martinez and four of the Top 10 career rushing leaders played in that stretch.

And yet somehow people try to say that our OLine sucked and our OC was terrible.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Absolutely.  You thrown in Martinez and four of the Top 10 career rushing leaders played in that stretch.

And yet somehow people try to say that our OLine sucked and our OC was terrible.

There's no way to actually figure it out, but if that group could have ran behind some of the lines in the 90s...

• Plus1 1