Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Mavric

      The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup   01/17/2018

      The 2018 HuskerBoard Starting Lineup is now live! Click HERE to read the rules, and look in the Contest Crib for nomination and voting threads throughout the next several weeks.   This is a great opportunity to say "thanks!" to your fellow HuskerBoard members for keeping you informed or entertained throughout the past year. Nominate your favorite HuskerBoard member today!

Recommended Posts

Small rumor coming out of the athletic department- they are giving strong consideration to having a second "practice" game open to the public.  I guess Coach Frost and staff are kind of "upset" that all the people that wish to attend the Spring Game, can not attend.  They are exploring logistics surrounding the idea and hope to make an announcement shortly.  So save yourself a few $100 and wait before buying those $500 tickets.  How cool would that be?  Can you imaging selling a recruit the idea that almost 180,000 people attended your practice game?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Boehm also mentioned Frost and Moos have talked about having two or three spring games. The spring game sold out in just over 24 hours.

 

OWH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am weirdly opposed to this.  The spring game is special because it's the culmination of spring practice and all the conditioning work the players did in the winter.  To have 2nd spring game, I think, devalues the first one immensely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I am weirdly opposed to this.  The spring game is special because it's the culmination of spring practice and all the conditioning work the players did in the winter.  To have 2nd spring game, I think, devalues the first one immensely.

I agree somewhat.  I think there should be just one spring game, but maybe they can have an open practice in Memorial stadium as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I am weirdly opposed to this.  The spring game is special because it's the culmination of spring practice and all the conditioning work the players did in the winter.  To have 2nd spring game, I think, devalues the first one immensely.

 

Not arguing with you.  But the rumblings seem to be more of the other "events" would basically be more of an open practice - they usually have scrimmages on Saturdays in the spring - than a full-blown spring game.  So I don't think it would be nearly the same production but still give other people a chance to get in the stadium and watch them play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

 

Not arguing with you.  But the rumblings seem to be more of the other "events" would basically be more of an open practice - they usually have scrimmages on Saturdays in the spring - than a full-blown spring game.  So I don't think it would be nearly the same production but still give other people a chance to get in the stadium and watch them play.

 

That would be better.  

 

Although the paranoid side of me thinks it's better to not have open practices.  Whatever happens though, I have full faith and confidence in Frost, Moos, and the rest of the UNL coaching staff and administration to do the right thing(s).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see them doing something like they did last summer with the Friday Night Lights camps, just with the players instead of recruits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 2:35 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

I am weirdly opposed to this.  The spring game is special because it's the culmination of spring practice and all the conditioning work the players did in the winter.  To have 2nd spring game, I think, devalues the first one immensely.

Agree 100% on this, I can understand all the excitement about the program right now, but a second game is a bad idea.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Shatel Tweet today - Just spoke to Bill Moos for a weekend column. He says there are no plans for an additional spring game, comment made in jest. But adds in future they are looking at providing more spring access for fans......

 

Well, at least they are looking at pleasing the fans somehow.  Would have been a heck of a coup if they did.  Think of the ability as a fan to discuss the changes/improvement/contrasting the first & second game.  That would have been wild for us to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 2:52 PM, Moiraine said:

I'd rather have 1 sold out than 2 2/3 full, but it's an idea to think about in the future.

1 1/3 > 1

Why does it matter if one is sold out or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Sker fer life said:

Agree 100% on this, I can understand all the excitement about the program right now, but a second game is a bad idea.  

False, let’s make sure we never do anything different and change nothing.  It’s not like college football has lost the most attendance since the 1980 s last year.  Restrictions on access, that’s the ticket to success!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

1 1/3 > 1

Why does it matter if one is sold out or not?

 

 

Why are you asking why it matters if it's sold out?  A spring game is more exciting if it's sold out, just like a regular game is.

 

That doesn't mean a spring game is as exciting as a regular game, but the atmosphere is more fun if the stadium is full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2018 at 3:35 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

I am weirdly opposed to this.  The spring game is special because it's the culmination of spring practice and all the conditioning work the players did in the winter.  To have 2nd spring game, I think, devalues the first one immensely.

 

That's placing too much value on the Spring Game, IMO. 

 

I would rather they take practices on the road; have an open practice in North Platte/Hastings/Kearney, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

 

 

Why are you asking why it matters if it's sold out?  A spring game is more exciting if it's sold out, just like a regular game is.

 

That doesn't mean a spring game is as exciting as a regular game, but the atmosphere is more fun if the stadium is full.

It's matters zero if the spring game is sold out or not.   The atmosphere for a spring game doesn't change because there is 75000 or 90000.  The fact that you want to limit access to the team so you can have this perceived great sold out atmosphere is baffling.  If they want to allow more people to watch and promote the team more power to them.  You think this is a bad thing because you need to be able to tell people you are a fan of team with a sold out spring game?  

48 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

 

That's placing too much value on the Spring Game, IMO. 

 

I would rather they take practices on the road; have an open practice in North Platte/Hastings/Kearney, etc. 

Closer to happening then you might know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

It's matters zero if the spring game is sold out or not.   The atmosphere for a spring game doesn't change because there is 75000 or 90000.

 

There are plenty of arguments to be made for having more than 1 spring game, but this isn't one of them. Also, I said 2/3, not 83%.

 

Heck, you could've even argued that "30,000 less people wouldn't make a lot of difference" or 15,000, but you didn't. You said it doesn't change, and doesn't matter at all. That's just weird and incorrect. There's a reason our AD brags about the sellout streak. Sold out stadiums are better in every way.

 

What you're saying is that everyone who's excited about the sell out, including Frost, is strange for being more excited about it being a sellout than they would about it not being a sellout, because the atmosphere is exactly the same.

Edited by Moiraine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

 

There are plenty of arguments to be made for having more than 1 spring game, but this isn't one of them. Also, I said 2/3, not 83%.

 

Heck, you could've even argued that "30,000 less people wouldn't make a lot of difference" or 15,000, but you didn't. You said it doesn't change, and doesn't matter at all. That's just weird and incorrect. There's a reason our AD brags about the sellout streak. Sold out stadiums are better in every way.

 

What you're saying is that everyone who's excited about the sell out, including Frost, is strange for being more excited about it being a sellout than they would about it not being a sellout, because the atmosphere is exactly the same.

1. Sellout is neat or cool or impressive, what word you feel is necessary for your description.  I agree with this.  

2.  Basing your argument on adding a additional spring game would take these descriptive words away from the game is false.  

3.  If you have the power, budget, means, to provide more fans then just ones that had tickets to your singular spring by adding an additional spring you do that.  

4.  Taking some pride out of this weird sellout spring game and look at from the football point of view.  This team has so much fan support they need 2 spring games.  I am going to stick with that is much more impressive then selling out one.

5.  Really Nebraska should scrimmage Oklahoma every year, now that would be a spring game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KingBlank said:

False, let’s make sure we never do anything different and change nothing.  It’s not like college football has lost the most attendance since the 1980 s last year.  Restrictions on access, that’s the ticket to success!

I like change, we will see plenty of that on the field next year,  what I don't want is one of our playmakers not out there because he got injured in the second spring game. Its not a real game, guys aren't exactly going full speed, but injuries do happen.   Not worth the risk in my view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

And I asked him about the statement by associate athletic director Marc Boehm at a recent luncheon that NU was looking at adding a second or third spring game. Moos said that's not happening, but added there may be "other opportunities for other scrimmages that people can come to."

 

OWH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gage County said:

Now that the Jim Harbaugh rule is in effect, there can't be any off campus practices anymore.

UCF-UM 2016 highlight

 

 

 

 

 

I believe that only applies to vacation periods. I think as long as it's during the Spring Practice period, and not during Spring Break, they'd be ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe this would apply to a spring "game," so it would definitely have to be just a practice.

 

 

Quote

17.10.5.2.1 Bowl Subdivision. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, the maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

(a) Spring Game. One contest at the conclusion of the spring practice period [see Bylaw 17.10.4-(a)], provided the contest is against a team composed of bona fide alumni or students or both;

 

Quote

17.10.6.4 Spring Practice. [FBS/FCS] Fifteen postseason practice sessions [including intrasquad scrimmages and the spring game permitted in Bylaw 17.10.5.2-(a)] are permissible.

 

 

With the wording it's clear the NCAA distinguishes between practices and the spring game.

 

 

 

More stuff:

 

Quote

(c) Only 12 of the practice sessions may involve contact, and such contact shall not occur prior to the third practice session.

(d) The noncontact practice sessions may involve headgear as the only piece of protective equipment.

(e) Of the 12 permissible contact sessions, eight sessions may involve tackling, and not more than three of the eight tackling sessions may be devoted primarily (greater than 50 percent of practice time) to 11-on-11 scrimmages.

(f) Tackling shall be prohibited in four of the 12 contact sessions. An institution has the discretion to determine the practice activities (other than tackling) that may occur during the four contact nontackling sessions as well as the protective equipment to be worn by the student-athletes.

(g) If an institution conducts a "spring game" per Bylaw 17.10.5.2-(a), the game shall be counted as one of the three sessions that may be devoted primarily to 11-on-11 scrimmages.

 

 

So teams are allowed only 3 scrimmages (taking up > 50% of practice), and the spring game counts as 1 of them.

Edited by Moiraine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gage County said:

Now that the Jim Harbaugh rule is in effect, there can't be any off campus practices anymore.

UCF-UM 2016 highlight

 

 

 

 

In 2015 KState had to get special permission to hold their spring game at Sporting KC soccer stadium due to construction at their on campus stadium.

 

Quote

Kansas State said that moving the contest to an outside venue and being permitted to host prospective student-athletes required a one-time waiver from the NCAA. It was granted due to the ongoing construction at Bill Snyder Family Stadium and safety concerns.

 

LInk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×