Spring Game Part Deux

Vizsla1

14 hours ago, Sker fer life said:

Agree 100% on this, I can understand all the excitement about the program right now, but a second game is a bad idea.  

False, let’s make sure we never do anything different and change nothing.  It’s not like college football has lost the most attendance since the 1980 s last year.  Restrictions on access, that’s the ticket to success!

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

1 1/3 > 1

Why does it matter if one is sold out or not?

Why are you asking why it matters if it's sold out?  A spring game is more exciting if it's sold out, just like a regular game is.

That doesn't mean a spring game is as exciting as a regular game, but the atmosphere is more fun if the stadium is full.

On 2/14/2018 at 3:35 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

I am weirdly opposed to this.  The spring game is special because it's the culmination of spring practice and all the conditioning work the players did in the winter.  To have 2nd spring game, I think, devalues the first one immensely.

That's placing too much value on the Spring Game, IMO. 

I would rather they take practices on the road; have an open practice in North Platte/Hastings/Kearney, etc. 

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Why are you asking why it matters if it's sold out?  A spring game is more exciting if it's sold out, just like a regular game is.

That doesn't mean a spring game is as exciting as a regular game, but the atmosphere is more fun if the stadium is full.

It's matters zero if the spring game is sold out or not.   The atmosphere for a spring game doesn't change because there is 75000 or 90000.  The fact that you want to limit access to the team so you can have this perceived great sold out atmosphere is baffling.  If they want to allow more people to watch and promote the team more power to them.  You think this is a bad thing because you need to be able to tell people you are a fan of team with a sold out spring game?  

48 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

That's placing too much value on the Spring Game, IMO. 

I would rather they take practices on the road; have an open practice in North Platte/Hastings/Kearney, etc. 

Closer to happening then you might know. 

22 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

It's matters zero if the spring game is sold out or not.   The atmosphere for a spring game doesn't change because there is 75000 or 90000.

There are plenty of arguments to be made for having more than 1 spring game, but this isn't one of them. Also, I said 2/3, not 83%.

Heck, you could've even argued that "30,000 less people wouldn't make a lot of difference" or 15,000, but you didn't. You said it doesn't change, and doesn't matter at all. That's just weird and incorrect. There's a reason our AD brags about the sellout streak. Sold out stadiums are better in every way.

What you're saying is that everyone who's excited about the sell out, including Frost, is strange for being more excited about it being a sellout than they would about it not being a sellout, because the atmosphere is exactly the same.

Edited by Moiraine

52 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There are plenty of arguments to be made for having more than 1 spring game, but this isn't one of them. Also, I said 2/3, not 83%.

Heck, you could've even argued that "30,000 less people wouldn't make a lot of difference" or 15,000, but you didn't. You said it doesn't change, and doesn't matter at all. That's just weird and incorrect. There's a reason our AD brags about the sellout streak. Sold out stadiums are better in every way.

What you're saying is that everyone who's excited about the sell out, including Frost, is strange for being more excited about it being a sellout than they would about it not being a sellout, because the atmosphere is exactly the same.

1. Sellout is neat or cool or impressive, what word you feel is necessary for your description.  I agree with this.  

2.  Basing your argument on adding a additional spring game would take these descriptive words away from the game is false.  

3.  If you have the power, budget, means, to provide more fans then just ones that had tickets to your singular spring by adding an additional spring you do that.  

4.  Taking some pride out of this weird sellout spring game and look at from the football point of view.  This team has so much fan support they need 2 spring games.  I am going to stick with that is much more impressive then selling out one.

5.  Really Nebraska should scrimmage Oklahoma every year, now that would be a spring game.

6 hours ago, KingBlank said:

False, let’s make sure we never do anything different and change nothing.  It’s not like college football has lost the most attendance since the 1980 s last year.  Restrictions on access, that’s the ticket to success!

I like change, we will see plenty of that on the field next year,  what I don't want is one of our playmakers not out there because he got injured in the second spring game. Its not a real game, guys aren't exactly going full speed, but injuries do happen.   Not worth the risk in my view.

I believe this would apply to a spring "game," so it would definitely have to be just a practice.

17.10.5.2.1 Bowl Subdivision. [FBS] In bowl subdivision football, the maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

(a) Spring Game. One contest at the conclusion of the spring practice period [see Bylaw 17.10.4-(a)], provided the contest is against a team composed of bona fide alumni or students or both;

17.10.6.4 Spring Practice. [FBS/FCS] Fifteen postseason practice sessions [including intrasquad scrimmages and the spring game permitted in Bylaw 17.10.5.2-(a)] are permissible.

With the wording it's clear the NCAA distinguishes between practices and the spring game.

More stuff:

(c) Only 12 of the practice sessions may involve contact, and such contact shall not occur prior to the third practice session.

(d) The noncontact practice sessions may involve headgear as the only piece of protective equipment.

(e) Of the 12 permissible contact sessions, eight sessions may involve tackling, and not more than three of the eight tackling sessions may be devoted primarily (greater than 50 percent of practice time) to 11-on-11 scrimmages.

(f) Tackling shall be prohibited in four of the 12 contact sessions. An institution has the discretion to determine the practice activities (other than tackling) that may occur during the four contact nontackling sessions as well as the protective equipment to be worn by the student-athletes.

(g) If an institution conducts a "spring game" per Bylaw 17.10.5.2-(a), the game shall be counted as one of the three sessions that may be devoted primarily to 11-on-11 scrimmages.

So teams are allowed only 3 scrimmages (taking up > 50% of practice), and the spring game counts as 1 of them.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Gage County said:

Now that the Jim Harbaugh rule is in effect, there can't be any off campus practices anymore.

UCF-UM 2016 highlight

In 2015 KState had to get special permission to hold their spring game at Sporting KC soccer stadium due to construction at their on campus stadium.

Kansas State said that moving the contest to an outside venue and being permitted to host prospective student-athletes required a one-time waiver from the NCAA. It was granted due to the ongoing construction at Bill Snyder Family Stadium and safety concerns.

LInk

• 2 weeks later...