Forde Minutes: Pat Forde Interview With Tim Miles

https://sports.yahoo.com/forde-minutes-biggest-surprises-college-basketball-season-053906894.html

The Minutes caught up with Tim Miles (37) of Nebraska this week and got his thoughts on five pressing topics.

Q: What has been the response to your team’s “Hate Will Never Win” statement over the weekend?

A: We’ve had a massive outpouring of support and acceptance that our guys decided to stand out and stand up for something. I’m very proud of them for doing that. … This isn’t a political message. This is, “Let’s take a stand against racism, prejudice and hate.”

Q: What does it feel like to be 19-8 overall, 10-4 and in fourth place in the Big Ten, and yet very much on the NCAA bubble?

A: We caught a tough break with our schedule. Most of our Quadrant 1 games were on the road and against high-level Quadrant 1 teams (losses to Michigan State, Creighton, Purdue and Ohio State). When we beat Minnesota (Dec. 5), they were a Top 15 team with Reggie Lynch and Amir Coffey (since out). Now we don’t get much credit for that win. All we can do is keep winning and take care of our bid ourselves. You can’t go fanatical about something that has nothing to do with you.

Q. After three straight losing seasons and heavy player turnover, how have you righted the ship this year?

A. We have talent. Last year we had three guys sitting out who are now starters. We had some guys leave and it created quite a stir, but at the same time it galvanized the guys who stayed. I think it made them more committed to Nebraska and to their coach and to each other.

Q. You’ve stopped the in-game tweets but now are regularly tweeting pictures of your dog. What’s up with that transition?

A. When your career’s looking down the wrong end of the barrel, you need somebody with you. My wife and kids are with me, but there’s nothing better than Sammy, my yellow lab. When I’m watching tape at night, he’s right there with me, with his wet nose. It’s gross, but it’s adorable in its own way.

Q. You went from the low of a blowout loss for your beloved Minnesota Vikings to the high of a Twitter conversation with Rob Riggle. Walk us through those emotions.

A. The Vikings thing was, ‘This cannot be happening again.’ I went through it all again: the Raiders, Jack Tatum, Fred Biletnikoff, beating us in the Super Bowl; total hatred for [Dallas receiver] Drew Pearson pushing off and not being called for it in Met Stadium; it brought back a flood of devastating feelings. But then we’re in Minneapolis at the hotel and I find Rob Riggle’s hanging bag in my room (two days after the Super Bowl) … and I decided to tweet the picture to him. I think it’s pretty cool that he tweeted back.

• Plus1 1