Husker great Ralph Brown on the future of the Huskers

lo country

Great kool aid pumping article.  A lot of great incite from a Husker great about his thoughts on the new staff, Frost's idea and restoring the Huskers.

Here are a few quotes:

Frost has gone on record saying that he wants to bring in about 150 players on his roster suggesting that 10 coaches could easily make such practices efficient. Brown not only agrees, he remembers practices like that during his time as a player.

“When I was on defense, at one of our stations there were three groups of offenses coming at us after each play would end. We had to hurry up and get back before the next play getting snapped off. I’m watching other stations where the offense is running the option, throwing plays, it’s so fast-paced. There were four or five stations going on and everybody’s rotating in, everyone’s blocking hard, everyone’s doing their job, everyone’s competing.”

Scott Frost’s system is so hard to stop if he gets the right quarterback in place, everybody buying in. You see all these speedsters coming in at the wide receiver spot, good running backs. I don’t think a lot of people in the Big Ten are ready for what Nebraska’s going to do this year.”

He also thinks we will be doing some special things in 3 years!

Rest here:
http://www.eightlaces.com/nebraska-football-head-coach-scott-frost-checks-boxes-former-blackshirt/

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

I don't see big 10 defenses stopping us if we keep recruiting that Florida speed.  I'm excited for 2 years down the road!  

10 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

*inserts California, rewinds 3 years*

But I thought California Speed < Florida Speed (mainly because of the population of bath salt zombies and meth heads that Florida kids have to outrun?) :dunno 

11 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Riley recruited 19 from California and Florida.

Not sure why you mention Florida, because my comment was only about California.  Here are the California signees by Riley in '15-'17

2015 - 2 (Matt Snyder & Lavan Alston)

2016 - 4 (Lamar Jackson, Derrion Grim, Marquel Dismuke, & Patrick O'Brien)

2017 - 3 (Gebbia, KJJ, and Elijah Blades) 

That's a total of 9 California signees by Riley.  Frost had 8 Florida signees in 2018.  So, I was close in my comment (thus why I said "I think")

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not sure why you mention Florida, because my comment was only about California.  Here are the California signees by Riley in '15-'17

2015 - 2 (Matt Snyder & Lavan Alston)

2016 - 4 (Lamar Jackson, Derrion Grim, Marquel Dismuke, & Patrick O'Brien)

2017 - 3 (Gebbia, KJJ, and Elijah Blades

That's a total of 9 California signees by Riley.  Frost had 8 Florida signees in 2018.  So, I was close in my comment (thus why I said "I think")

Wow - 4 of those 9 aren't even on the team anymore... I think Frost will not only do better recruiting new players, but he will do better in retaining players.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Wow - 4 of those 9 aren't even on the team anymore... I think Frost will not only do better recruiting new players, but he will do better in retaining players.

I was going to make a similar comment, but it's too early to tell on which Frost recruits are going to stick around for the long-term, so I didn't want to penalize Riley for signees who never stepped foot on the playing field at NU.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was going to make a similar comment, but it's too early to tell on which Frost recruits are going to stick around for the long-term, so I didn't want to penalize Riley for signees who never stepped foot on the playing field at NU.

I have no doubt Frost will lose players to transfers/academics as well, it's the nature of college sports these days.

I just have a feeling (warranted or not) that Frost's family culture and expected winning culture, combined with their stated plan for recruiting players that are good fits on and off the field, will help them retain their recruits at a better rate than many programs.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not sure why you mention Florida, because my comment was only about California.

Because we're talking about the so-called California and Florida speed. Not sure why it matters that I gave the count.

If we're doing comparisons (not sure why it matters - I thought we were supposed to want more in the 500 mile radius and less of those "coddled" CA/FL kids) in recruiting Florida and California it should be the combined counts of California and Florida for both coaches.

Edited by Moiraine
5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Because we're talking about the so-called California and Florida speed. Not sure why it matters that I gave the count.

I was originally commenting on a post about they hype of recruiting in California under Riley.  You proceeded to move the goal post by commenting on Riley's recruiting in CA and FL.  And you gave the wrong count.  Come on, you are a stats person, you should know to give accurate counts.