Huskers to Hire Director of Player Personnel from Tennessee

Mavric

Word is that Tennessee Director of Player Personnel Bob Welton will be moving to Lincoln.

• A veteran of the NFL ranks, Welton came to Tennessee in 2013 after spending nine years with the Cleveland Browns
  • Welton served as a college scout with the Browns from 2004-13. During his first two years, Welton was the team’s BLESTO scout in charge of covering the Midwest.
  • Prior to joining the Browns, he served seven years as a head high school football coach
  • Welton spent the 2003 season with Coloma (Mich.) High School where he guided the team to its first undefeated season and first playoff victory in school history. For his efforts, he was named Lakeland Conference and MHSFCA Region 5 Coach of the Year.
  • Prior to Coloma, Welton spent six seasons as head coach at South Haven (Mich.) High School where he helped revive the program and rebuild the school’s football stadium. Welton also served as head track coach at South Haven from 2001 until his departure. He taught physical education at the school from 1997 until 2003, when he began teaching special education

Am I the only one who winces when he reads that we're apparently hiring "a veteran of the NFL ranks"? Like, oh I dunno, the director of player personnel we just got rid of, Billy Devaney?

And an administrator from Tennessee? After the dumpster fire we just witnessed from their administration?

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 4
14 minutes ago, Toe said:

Am I the only one who winces when he reads that we're apparently hiring "a veteran of the NFL ranks"? Like, oh I dunno, the director of player personnel we just got rid of, Billy Devaney?

And an administrator from Tennessee? After the dumpster fire we just witnessed from their administration?

I cringed a little.

8 hours ago, Toe said:

Hiring experts in a field is not a bad thing.  How you handle their input and opinions on what to do is what matters.  Obviously, the last staff handled Devaney wrong.

• Plus1 1

Okay...I'm not feeling this hire at all. But I'm willing to give Moos and Frost the benefit of the doubt...

...and let's be honest--they're not perfect  and they're going to make mistakes. What will be telling about them is how they go about recognizing and fixing said mistakes when/if they occur. 

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

hot mess, was he the reason?

Well if he was their college scout...they drafted how many busts in that time frame?  Hopefully this is a great hire and that had more to do with the Browns organization than him.  TN's recruiting certainly hasn't been hurting the last few years.