Huskers to Hire Director of Player Personnel from Tennessee

Mavric

I understand the need for the position in today's college football.  Now that the NCAA officially allows support staff to watch film and scout players, someone needs to oversee that and coordinate the efforts to find recruits that fit what the staff wants.

If it's a similar role as Devaney had, then he'll also help with roster balancing as well as preparing recent Nebraska grads for the NFL combine/interviews, or even help them with other post-graduate opportunities.

Just because it failed with the last staff doesn't make this a bad hire.  All of the things I listed above are good things, if the right person is doing it the right way.

• Plus1 4

Looking at the guy's experience here are what I see as positives:

-- Vast high school coaching experience in Michigan (Big Ten country)

-- Number of years in scouting department in the NFL.  People need to realize that this is entry-level work for NFL teams.  They are evaluating college kids and supporting the GM and coaches with drafting and college free agents.  Just because the Browns have sucked for so long, doesn't mean that this guy should be getting all the blame.  He is not making the final decisions on who to draft and play.

-- During his time at Tennessee, I think they had fairly highly ranked recruiting classes (someone can correct me if I am wrong).  I don't think Tennessee's issues were talent the past few years, it was more talent management and in-game decisions.

I understand that a lot of us have a sour taste in our mouth's from the Billy Devaney era.  I am one of those people!!!  As long as this new guy doesn't wield the power that Devaney had over Riley, then I think this guy could be a good hire.  I hope Frost is smart enough to use this guy as "support" for him and the coaching staff, but the decisions of whom to recruit and offer scholarships should come from the coaching staff.

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And the leadership is in place to allow Frost to be the #1 boss, and Frost isn't dumb enough to let another guy undermine his work at NU.

Yep. A huge difference this time around. He wasn't coming to Nebraska  if things weren't in place to do his job properly.

Edited by Treand3
  • Plus1 1
9 hours ago, C N Red said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, i dont get this hire. Is there a connection between Frost and him? B/c if not, it doesnt make any sense to me. 

Sounds like he does know Frost from somewhere but I haven't been able to find the exact connection yet.  Sounds like he has wanted to work with Frost when he got a chance.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like he does know Frost from somewhere but I haven't been able to find the exact connection yet.  Sounds like he has wanted to work with Frost when he got a chance.

From that video it sounds like one of his big jobs is staying a year or two ahead on recruits, which is extremely important with how the recruiting process has sped up.  When the staff is trying to close out the 2019 class, he'd be looking at 2020, 2021, and even 2022 kids.