Huskers to Hire Director of Player Personnel from Tennessee

Mavric

@HS_Coach_C, that gif is pure win.  :lol:

Reiterating the common sentiment here: Not sure I like this hire.  

But I know nothing about this guy, aside from the blurbs above, so the fair thing to do is just sit back and wait to see how everything pans out.  The "bad" thing is, we won't really know whether this guy is any good and an asset or detriment to the program for 4-5 years at the minimum.

I think 4-5 years down the road if we're recruiting at a high level, consistently top 15-ish or so, and winning 9, 10+ games every year, I think it'll be safe to say this was a good/great hire.

Edited by Making Chimichangas

4 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Are you really concerned because he worked for the Browns? Tennessee has done a very good job recruiting since 2013 and this guy has had a hand in it. I'm pretty sure he isn't even close to a reason why Tennessee couldn't find a HC for 2 months.

Plus, he definitely isn't the reason the Browns were terrible and completely dysfunctional at drafting, developing, coaching and managing players.. In fact I bet he had excellent scouting reports and when he handed those reports to the GM, he said "they're already in order of highest to lowest graded prospects". *Browns GM flips the stack of reports over* "This guy! Brandon Weeden! That's our QB for the next 17 years!"

Let's give this guy a chance. We have all of our coaching staff in place right now and if things don't work out we can always let him go.. It's not like we hired Mike Riley to be our next head coach........

• 2 months later...

Went to Alabama. How much will this hurt?

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/frost-s-director-of-recruiting-operations-takes-job-at-alabama/article_6e7ac756-5569-11e8-8277-fb0db5bbc526.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

He hasn't been on the job long (3 months), so it may be a good thing. I wonder if frost hired him?

Edited by Mavric
Merged threads
12 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

what if....

All of Scott Frosts' success was from this guy...and he went to Alabama and from this point on, he won't be a good recruiter?

He was hired after signing day.

So Frost's first class here and any previous recruiting had nothing to do with him.

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

There has to be more going on behind the scenes than what is being reported.  There has to be some conflict that apparently cannot be resolved.  Taking a parallel position at another school after only 3 months on job?  It doesn't add up.

It's Alabama. I'm not sure how that could really be considered parallel even if it's the same title. On top if that it's much closer to the footprint he's used to and in the conference he's from.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

There has to be more going on behind the scenes than what is being reported.  There has to be some conflict that apparently cannot be resolved.  Taking a parallel position at another school after only 3 months on job?  It doesn't add up.

Ask Armon Gates

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

It's Alabama. I'm not sure how that could really be considered parallel even if it's the same title. On top if that it's much closer to the footprint he's used to and in the conference he's from.

Valid points to be sure.  Although I think our program history matches up with what Alabama currently is, so yeah it is a parallel move because prestige is in the eye of the beholder.

My guess?  (And this is all it is) He and Coach Frost have different opinions on the types of kids to recruit.  He probably wants to go after mostly athletes in the southeast, not kids from Nebraska or the 500 mile radius.  I guess it really doesn't matter at this point.