What Americans Spend on Engagement Rings by State

When we were looking at engagement ring, my wife found the band and setting that she liked at one jeweler, and then I worked with a friend of hers who owns her own jewelry store for the diamond.  My wife said she wanted a marquise cut diamond, so I just needed to figure out the size and clarity of the diamond for the engagement ring.  All in all, I spent around $4,000, which was my goal of "two months salary" back then which I had always heard as the guideline for men.

15 minutes ago, GSG said:

You did and so did a lot of other people. Good marketing ploy from DeBeers

17 minutes ago, GSG said:

You did and so did a lot of other people. Good marketing ploy from DeBeers

True dat.  But not too much went to middlemen.  I bought one in the diamond district in LA.  Somewhere around 40% less than retail for a diamond of the same quality.   Although I did have to spend two afternoons down there shopping and haggling.  It was actually sort of fun.  

I got my wife a diamond, spent about $1,100 in the early 1990s for it, and feel like a chump for contributing to the diamond scam. 

She likes her rings just fine, between the wedding band & engagement ring there are a couple of diamonds (or three? I think there's a row of diamonds on the band...).

The "two month's salary" thing is hogwash.  Diamonds are also a very common gemstone and should not cost nearly that much.  Think about how many people you know who own at least one diamond. 

• Plus1 1