Parkland, FL High School Shooting

I know this gets posted in every thread like this, but it's never not going to be on point.

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, TX—In the hours following a violent rampage in Texas in which a lone attacker killed 27 individuals and seriously injured several others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Sunday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Kansas resident Britt Mulvanos, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this individual from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

It is probably "true" but equally misleading.

List of "school shootings" in 2018

Oh, I believe 18 in the US and understand that the list may be a little misleading. I don’t believe there were 18 in the entire world the last 20 years. 

Especially when you include some some of the examples in your article. 

Edited by BigRedBuster

I'll try to get in before the issue comes up: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4318286/?utm_source=Yahoo&utm_medium=Beauty&utm_campaign=kirstie-alley-las-vegas-shooter-stephen-paddock-psychiatric-medications

"Our brief review suggests that connections between mental illness and gun violence are less causal and more complex than current US public opinion and legislative action allow. US gun rights advocates are fond of the phrase “guns don’t kill people, people do.” The findings cited earlier in this article suggest that neither guns nor people exist in isolation from social or historical influences. A growing body of data reveals that US gun crime happens when guns and people come together in particular, destructive ways. That is to say, gun violence in all its forms has a social context, and that context is not something that “mental illness” can describe nor that mental health practitioners can be expected to address in isolation."

• Plus1 5

I grew up with guns around the house, although my folks were generally pacifists. Guns were just tools that we rarely used. 

I have kids of my own now, and don't have a single gun in the house. I'm not making a statement. I just can't think of a scenario where I will really need that tool, and I can think of lots of scenarios where that tool will have a tragic impact on my family. 

• Plus1 7
13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I grew up with guns around the house, although my folks were generally pacifists. Guns were just tools that we rarely used. 

I have kids of my own now, and don't have a single gun in the house. I'm not making a statement. I just can't think of a scenario where I will really need that tool, and I can think of lots of scenarios where that tool will have a tragic impact on my family. 

That’s my point of view too.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

There is no way to predict when and where these tragedies will occur.

What are we supposed to do?  Pre-emptively arrest people on the idea that they might do something like this?

I have no idea what the solution is, or could be.

You look at the variables that are different between our country and others where this doesn't happen. You systematically manipulate them and see what the outcome is. Unfortunately there is going to be many situations where the cat is out of the bag. 

I think England is a country to look at as a model for changes. The intervention has to be environmental. 

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

thoughts and prayers

thoughts and prayers

thoughts and prayers

thoughts and prayers

thoughts and prayers

thoughts and prayers

+1 this post for thoughts and prayers

Really?  Come on, man.

This is just another tragedy in a long line of tragedies showing that the availability of guns equates to more mass shootings. The data is there no matter whether there were 8 shootings at schools so far or 18. Other 1st world countries don't have this problem. Other countries have way stricter gun laws. It's plain as day and the sooner we disallow fully and semi automatic weapons from the public, and enforce stronger gun control policies is the day we'll see the effects of doing so. I enjoy shooting, but would gladly never touch, own, or shoot a gun again if it meant that kids or anyone for that matter, were safer. 

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Army_Allen said:

Really?  Come on, man.

This is just another tragedy in a long line of tragedies showing that the availability of guns equates to more mass shootings. The data is there no matter whether there were 8 shootings at schools so far or 18. Other 1st world countries don't have this problem. Other countries have way stricter gun laws. It's plain as day and the sooner we disallow fully and semi automatic weapons from the public, and enforce stronger gun control policies is the day we'll see the effects of doing so. I enjoy shooting, but would gladly never touch, own, or shoot a gun again if it meant that kids or anyone for that matter, were safer. 

I'm fairly sure he was being facetious. I'm assuming he's just as frustrated with these shootings as either of us.

Well said on your part. We have a gun access problem here that is a uniquely American problem. It's systemic & cultural.

As sad as these events are, I'm almost more bothered by the response to them by our leaders. Yesterday brought us 17 dead American children, and our elected officials run around spouting off about thoughts and prayers and acting like nothing else can be done. I don't want to strip people of their gun rights. I also don't know what specific laws could be implemented to bridge a gap between the gun rights people and people who want to make our gun culture safer, but I'm fairly sure doing F#$*ING nothing ISN'T the answer.

It creates so much rage that so many elected officials see shootings like these or Vegas occur & collectively decide there's nothing to be done about it. They do so because they're paid to do so and because they think their voters would punish them for it.