Parkland, FL High School Shooting

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

I believe if they were completely honest, people like Hillary Clinton, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, lots of people in Hollywood (reference the tweets in the links I posted), and others would absolutely want every gun in America confiscated and taken away. 

I really believe that they don't care 1% either way about Joe Schmo who has a few hunting rifles in McCook Nebraska, or Jim Schmim who keeps a handgun locked in his closet to protect his home.

Why would they care? 

43 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I apologise, I misread what he posted. The point still stands about the level of training and certification compared to the average citizen.

Well yeah, any person in a postion to carry a firearm and are authorized to use it to keep others safe should have formal training.  That has ittle to do with his suggestion.  Guns can't just disappear like he suggested.  Even if they did, black markets would still be available.   Even if we eliminated those, I literally just last night watched a video of a guy who made a homeade fully functional shotgun for like $50.

Edited by Redux
4 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

The bolded part, I'm not convinced you're correct...

Then there's this...

http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/hollywood-calls-for-gun-control-florida-high-school-shooting-1202699481/

Now does anyone in the link above explicitly say, "Take away everyone's guns?"  Admittedly, no. 

However, I'm not sure how they intend to accomplish their goals of gun control without taking away people's guns.  Maybe I'm just too paranoid here, but it seems that gun control and taking away EVERYONE'S guns will go hand in hand.  

56 minutes ago, Redux said:

Well yeah, any person in a postion to carry a firearm and are authorized to use it to keep others safe should have formal training.  That has ittle to do with his suggestion.  Guns can't just disappear like he suggested.  Even if they did, black markets would still be available.   Even if we eliminated those, I literally just last night watched a video of a guy who made a homeade fully functional shotgun for like $50.

Then as has been mentioned before, legalize drunk driving, legalize meth. You can't stop it...

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Then as has been mentioned before, legalize drunk driving, legalize meth. You can't stop it...

Drunk Driving is abusing alcohol.

Methanphetamines are literally poison.

Guns are objects incapable of harm until put into the wrong persons hands.

These are not the same things and you know this.

2 minutes ago, commando said:

yep.   and everyone who fights against even trying is essentially saying...mass shootings are better than trying to minimize  the carnage

No, that's absolutely false.  And you know this.  Taking the extreme viewpoint and branding anyone who disagrees is creating hurdles not solutions.

Edited by Redux
Just now, Redux said:

Meth an alcohol are incapable of harm until put in the hands of humans!

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, Redux said:

No, that's absolutely false.  And you k ow this.

bulls#!t   we are just going to offer thoughts and prayers..same as always because we won't even think about trying anything..   nothing is going to be done until the next time.  then we will talk about it and offer thoughts and prayers.  rinse and repeat.   not sure how that isn't in effect saying mass killings are better than trying something.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Redux said:

You're being difficult for no reaoson.

Not really. Here's my point: Shouldn't there be more training, and restrictions for an object who's main function is to destroy/kill, than say one that is meant for transportation?

Edited by ZRod

11 minutes ago, commando said:

bulls#!t   we are just going to offer thoughts and prayers..same as always because we won't even think about trying anything..   nothing is going to be done until the next time.  then we will talk about it and offer thoughts and prayers.  rinse and repeat.   not sure how that isn't in effect saying mass killings are better than trying something.

And this is why I avoid these threads.  People on this side of the fence like to lash out like this to pretend like these conversations are going to change something.  You want to change something?  Put an armed guard at every school.  Make obtaining a gun harder.  Hopefully it changes something.  But don't you dare sit there and tell me I think mass shootings are acceptable, that's a bulls#!t thing to do and it's the exact reason these conversations are stupid.

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Not really. Here's my point: Shouldn'tre more training, and restrictions for an object who's main function is to destroy/kill, than say one that is meant for transportation?

These aren't great comparisons.  Guns are not similar to vehicles and alcohol as a combo.  You're purposely steering this away with cliches from the original suggestion of trying to rid the country of guns completely.

Edited by Redux

my side of the fence is to try something.   i am not calling for a gun ban at all.  i am thinking some small things to at least try to lesson the damage.   we cant stop all violence.  but lets get the weapons tougher to get for the kids who are shooting up school with weapons designed specifically to kill as many people as possible as fast as possible.   maybe raise the age limit to buy semi-autos....or make it that under 21 can only buy single shot guns.    or maybe outlaw bump stocks and large magazines.    i don't know what the answer is but god damn we need to try something.   until we at least try something i say remove the armed guards and metal detectors from washington and let the politicians have the same protection our kids have in school.  maybe then they will manage to at least talk about it.

9 minutes ago, Redux said:

And this is why I avoid these threads.  People on this side of the fence like to lash out like this to pretend like these conversations are going to change something.  You want to change something?  Put an armed guard at every school.  Make obtaining a gun harder.  Hopefully it changes something.  But don't you dare sit there and tell me I think mass shootings are acceptable, that's a bulls#!t thing to do and it's the exact reason these conversations are stupid.

so you and i are on the same side...we think we need to try something....but doing nothing is saying everything is fine...and nothing is all that is going to happen so i am pissed at our government for not even being willing to talk about it.

And as i have already said in this very thread we should make it harder to obtain weapons, we should protect schools.  And yet as I'm trying to realistically discuss this you tell me I'm advocating school shootings.  That's crap.  That's why these threads go nowhere.  We can sit here and wish there weren't weapons and wish that hate didn't exist.  But it's notnrealistic.  We put regulations on obtaining weapons and people will still get ahold of them.  That's not me implying to ignore the issue, that's me thinking logically.  I just said I watched a video on a cheap and very fucntional firearm you can make at home.  The same can be done with bombs and drugs etc.  Stricter gun laws may help a little, and it's worth it, but it doesn't eliminate hate oe a desire to cause harm.

25 minutes ago, Redux said:

These aren't great comparisons.  Guns are not similar to vehicles and alcohol as a combo.  You're purposely steering this away with cliches from the original suggestion of trying to rid the country of guns completely.

No I'm not. I'm trying to steer this into an actual debate and discussion. Because as I said I misread the original quote.