Parkland, FL High School Shooting

15 minutes ago, commando said:

my side of the fence is to try something.   i am not calling for a gun ban at all.  i am thinking some small things to at least try to lesson the damage.   we cant stop all violence.  but lets get the weapons tougher to get for the kids who are shooting up school with weapons designed specifically to kill as many people as possible as fast as possible.   maybe raise the age limit to buy semi-autos....or make it that under 21 can only buy single shot guns.    or maybe outlaw bump stocks and large magazines.    i don't know what the answer is but god damn we need to try something.   until we at least try something i say remove the armed guards and metal detectors from washington and let the politicians have the same protection our kids have in school.  maybe then they will manage to at least talk about it.

Large magazines are illegal in 7 states right now.  Bump stocks are illegal in 1.

This is a beginning but i will agree that more states need to get involved.  Gun companies are saying that the AR style guns are the new style hunting rifle but i will say that i have never needed a 30 round clip to kill a deer or coyote.  

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

No I'm not. I'm trying to steer this into an actual debate and discussion. Because as I said I misread the original quote.

You suggested legalizing drunk driving.....that's not sparking a debate.  That's implying absurdities.  It's not the same thing.

I'm merely pointing out that even if we make guns next to impossible to obtain, weapons can be readily made fairly easily.  That in no way shape or form equals legalizing drunk driving and meth.  Come on man.

Edited by Redux
  • Make auto/semi autos illegal - all states.
  • Make bump stocks and silencers illegal - all states.
  • Background checks required - all states.
  • No same day sales and require 3week wait time for possession/ownership.
  • Limit total number of guns liscensed to any one person and establish a max number of guns liscenses to any one household.
  • No sales to anyone under the age of 21.
  • No sales to people with mental health records.
  • No sale and removal of guns to anyone accused or convicted of abuse of another person or animal.
  • Require passing of gun saftey class and photo liscense annually for all gun owners.  
  • Required classwork and testing/certification for any business in order to sell guns.  
  • Demand businesses who sell guns have some culpibility for whom they sell to.
  • Allow manufacturers to be sued for misuse.
  • Establish a max number of guns that can be produced by any one manufacturer per year.
  • No gun ownership for convicted felons for 5+ years.  
  • Make personal gun tax annual and a premium price per gun.  
  • Demand gunnowners have personal insurance for ownership.
  • Price guns similar to vehicles.

Top of mind stuff.  None of which demands regulations different than what we have for other items used in daily life that can kill people.  

Edited by NM11046
  • Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Redux said:

You suggested legalizing drunk driving.....that's not sparking a debate.  That's implying absurdities.  It's not the same thing.

I'm merely pointing out that even if we make guns next to impossible to obtain, weapons can be readily made fairly easily.  That in no way shape or form equals legalizing drunk driving and meth.  Come on man.

It's analogous, dude! I'm trying to show you that your reasoning is illogical. Just because you can't stop something 100 percent of the time doesn't mean you should just throw your hands up and say "oh well, it's not going to stop it all, so let's not bother." That's why we have drunk driving laws even though people still drive drunk. To curb a deadly problem!!!

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

It's analogous, dude! I'm trying to show you that your reasoning is illogical. Just because you can't stop something 100 percent of the time doesn't mean you should just throw your hands up and say "oh well, it's not going to stop it all, so let's not bother." That's why we have drunk driving laws even though people still drive drunk. To curb a deadly problem!!!

You're completely missing the point, and it must be by choice.  There are responsible, trained gun owners.  There are not resppnsible, trained drunk drivers.  Seriously, come on.

If you're on board with banning all guns then just say that, because that's what you're pushing at this point.

13 minutes ago, Redux said:

You're completely missing the point, and it must be by choice.  There are responsible, trained gun owners.  There are not resppnsible, trained drunk drivers.  Seriously, come on.

If you're on board with banning all guns then just say that, because that's what you're pushing at this point.

I don't think that's at all what he's saying.

I think the argument is that why would anybody say we should just sit on our hands and do nothing?  Sure, there are tons of responsible gun owners.  Most of them would agree that what' happening is not acceptable.  We need to get on board with them and the non gun owners do SOMETHING.  

Edited by NM11046
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:
  • Make auto/semi autos illegal - all states.
  • Make bump stocks and silencers illegal - all states.
  • Background checks required - all states.
  • No same day sales and require 3week wait time for possession/ownership.
  • Limit total number of guns liscensed to any one person and establish a max number of guns liscenses to any one household.
  • No sales to anyone under the age of 21.
  • No sales to people with mental health records.
  • No sale and removal of guns to anyone accused or convicted of abuse of another person or animal.
  • Require passing of gun saftey class and photo liscense annually for all gun owners.  
  • Required classwork and testing/certification for any business in order to sell guns.  
  • Demand nusinesses who sell guns have some culpibility for whom they sell to.
  • Allow manufacturers to be sued for misuse.
  • Establish a max number of guns that can be produced by any one manufacturer per year.
  • No gun ownership for convicted felons for 5+ years.  
  • Make personal gun tax annual and a premium price per gun.  
  • Demand gunnowners have personal insurance for ownership.
  • Price guns similar to vehicles.

Top of mind stuff.  None of which demands regulations different than what we have for other items used in daily life that can kill people.  

Automatics are illegal already.  As far as making semi-autos illegal, i will argue that.  I own a few semi-auto guns, none of them in the AR style.  I use mine for coyote, coon or any other small game hunting.  I have 6-10 round clips for them depending on which gun (caliber)it is.  What makes the ARs so convient for theses incidents are the quick change, high volume magazines.  

Edited by Stumpy1
  • Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, commando said:

it's the attitude that any small step towards some sort of reasonable gun control is a huge leap into a total gun ban that prevents anything at all from happening.  

Well, considering THIS was the original topic....

On 2/18/2018 at 6:31 AM, mrandyk said:

I suggest we should all lose our freedom to own a gun. As long as these things are relatively easy to purchase for some, they'll be accessible to all. I think the only answer is to take a hard line against firearms. Their cost to society far outweighs their benefit.

Edited by Redux
41 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I think the argument is that why would anybody say we should just sit on our hands and do nothing?  Sure, there are tons of responsible gun owners.  Most of them would agree that what' happening is not acceptable.  We need to get on board with them and the non gun owners do SOMETHING.  

Basically everyone here is on board with making it harder for bad people to obtain guns.  That wasn't the discussion.  See above.

45 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Automatics are illegal already.  As far as making semi-autos illegal, i will argue that.  I own a few semi-auto guns, none of them in the AR style.  I use mine for coyote, coon or any other small game hunting.  I have 6-10 round clips for them depending on which gun (caliber)it is.  What makes the ARs so convient for theses incidents are the quick change, high volume magazines.  

Forgive my naivete on specifics on gun types.  Why is it that you can't use a shot gun or rifle for coyotes or game hunting?  Why do you need high volume for a small animal in the wild?

Edited by NM11046
10 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Forgive my naivete on specifics on gun types.  Why is it that you can't use a shot gun or rifle for coyotes or game hunting?  Why do you need high volume for a small animal in the wild?

To me, there is no reason to use high volume magazines for hunting.  The magazines that came with my guns are standard. 

And its funny you brought up shotguns for coyote hunting.  I actually just bought one for that reason.  I havent got to try it out yet. 

11 minutes ago, commando said:

what are you shooting out of the shotgun for coyotes?  i saw a buddy of mine shoot a coyote with 6 shot 3 times and all that happened was some dust and fur went flying and the coyote took off running for the hills.  the pellets just wouldn't penetrate that hide.

I have 3 and 4 shot.  I took it out and shot a few rounds through 3/4" plywood.   I got as far away as 40 yards before it quit going through the plywood.  

1 minute ago, Stumpy1 said:

I have 3 and 4 shot.  I took it out and shot a few rounds through 3/4" plywood.   I got as far away as 40 yards before it quit going through the plywood.  

we were pheasant hunting and the coyote ran out in front of him maybe 20 feet away and he hit all 3 shots and didn't faze the coyote.    maybe the heavier shot will work well.   was a bit surprised to hear about using a shotgun for coyotes.   i thought the range would most often be an issue.