Parkland, FL High School Shooting

2 hours ago, Redux said:

Military grade is a fairly loose term though, pistols can be considered military grade.

pretty sure you already have to be 21 to get a pistol.   i could be wrong on that though.   until a few weeks ago i thought flamethrowers were illegal also but i was proved wrong on that thought also.

3 hours ago, Redux said:

-waiting periods for guns

-stricter rules to purchase

-accessories more regulated

-background chacks more in depth

Same as everyone else.  I'd also like to see trained and armed guards protecting schools.

I agree with your bullets, but I don't think armed guards will be at all effective. I think there was one at the Parkland school.

The term "assult rifle" is thrown around loosely also.  An assult rifle is a fully automatic rifle, which is illegal to possess.   ALL ARs sold in stores are semi-automatic rifles.  They are no different then any other semi-auto rifle except for the accessories that can be added to them, such as high volume clips and bump stocks.  One other advantage of ARs is the quick exchange of magazines.

Putting a ban on these accessories and making it harder for quick exchange magazines will greatly hinder sales IMO.  

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, commando said:

i think i am over being mad and am just grudgingly accepting that nothing will be done so why get upset.    see you in the next mass shooting thread.     

There's an approximately zero percent chance that McConnell and/or Ryan ever allow a gun control bill to make it to the floor of congress to even be voted upon. The only way anything happens is if a veto-proof Democrat majority is voted in later this year and I'm not even sure that's possible. Trump will never sign a gun control bill which means the earliest anything possibly changes at a federal level is 2021. They couldn't even get legislature done on bump stocks after Las Vegas when almost everyone hates the things and don't use them.

I applaud those high school kids in Florida for doing what they are doing but at the end of day I don't think it's going to make a damn bit of difference. Sad.

Edited by Whistlebritches
  • Plus1 2
4 hours ago, ZRod said:

This is something I don't want to see... It's so sad and disgusting that we even have to consider this. I mean resource officer's are fine, but I would rather have an LEO than a trained guard. The LEO can do so much more than another person with a gun...

Why could my parents go to school without fear and kids had guns in the rack of their truck outside?

There's a real interesting thread on FB from a parent of the school who is also on the school board.  I believe there was a guard there at the school and he was nowhere near the entrance or where the shooting happened.  One of the issues was entrance wasn't a single point of entry as the board had been lobbying for.

So guard, perhaps that's reasonable, but armed I struggle with.

47 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

Wow. Just wow.

Unbelievable.

Not only did they go there, they doubled down on it.

We are led by some of the most terrible, cowardly people imaginable right now. Thank goodness the reach of the White House extends only so far. I beg anyone who cares about our country one iota to vote these incompetent a-holes out in two years.

Edited by dudeguyy
  • Plus1 2

51 minutes ago, Whistlebritches said:

There's an approximately zero percent chance that McConnell and/or Ryan ever allow a gun control bill to make it to the floor of congress to even be voted upon. The only way anything happens is if a veto-proof Democrat majority is voted in later this year and I'm not even sure that's possible. Trump will never sign a gun control bill which means the earliest anything possibly changes at a federal level is 2021. They couldn't even get legislature done on bump stocks after Las Vegas when almost everyone hates the things and don't use them.

I applaud those high school kids in Florida for doing what they are doing but at the end of day I don't think it's going to make a damn bit of difference. Sad.

Vegas was one thing. I fully expected the NRA to cynically feign interest in such a ban & Republicans to pretend for a minute they'd ever actually work for it. Only long enough for the news cycle to roll over.

If having getting terrorized on a softball field & having one of their own hospitalized wasn't enough for Republicans to find the mettle to try anything, nothing will be.

• Plus1 2

The blame game is a big waste of time in my opinion . There's no magic wand fix. or one single cause to point the finger at. I think all that energy should be used to try to identify and implement changes, that have the best chance of actually working.

I think it is partially a mental heath issue, but what is the solution? Can we go into every home and make sure everyone with a mental illness takes their medicine and goes to counseling? No, but i think making  treatments more affordable, and easy to access would be a good place start. To me this an easy scapegoat for Trump/GOP  to blame, and divert attention away from their NRA ties, and away from any  meaningful discussion on gun laws. I doubt anything will actually get done about the mental health issue.

I think its also a society issue but again whats the solution? We cant go into every home in America and remove violent video games/ movies, or force people to raise their kids a certain way. We also cant force Godliness, or morality on anyone. In a free society i don't see a fix for any of that .

Lastly it is a gun issue too. Sure bad people are going to do bad things anyway , but a semi automatic weapon with a high capacity magazine makes the job much easier. If stricter gun laws, and tighter enforcement of the ones we do have would save even one life, that's what needs to happen. I think this is the issue we have the most control over and the best chance of fixing .   

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 1

Anyone claiming that this is primarily, or even somewhat, of a mental health issue - got any data to back up that claim? I see people spout that off all the time, but what is it based off of? I haven't seen anything that shows the United States being drastically worse at dealing with mental health than other developed countries. I also don't even know what 'mental health' as an extremely broad catch-all is even supposed to be referring to. 

What mental health issue is the mental health issue? 

• Plus1 1

Many  of the mass shooters in US history had serious mental problems (bipolar, schizophrenia, psychosis, anxiety disorders etc) 

Almost all mental health problems are treatable through medication and therapy. If treated properly,  I think those people would have been far less likely to do what they did . If even one of them could have been stopped it’s an issue worth addressing imo. 

I don’t know the reasons why they didn’t receive proper treatment,  or how other countries handle mental healthcare,  but it is part of the issue here. 

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Landlord said:

Anyone claiming that this is primarily, or even somewhat, of a mental health issue - got any data to back up that claim? I see people spout that off all the time, but what is it based off of? I haven't seen anything that shows the United States being drastically worse at dealing with mental health than other developed countries. I also don't even know what 'mental health' as an extremely broad catch-all is even supposed to be referring to. 

What mental health issue is the mental health issue? 

CFIX-MentalHealthViolence_Page_6.thumb.jpg.77986abe969ed8717cbb0db339f3cc11.jpg

• Plus1 3